Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:52 AM

893 posts, read 790,088 times

Advertisements

I'm having trouble with dry red skin on my eyelids since menopause(yuck) and can't wear powder eye shadow any more. Is there a moisturizing eye shadow for people like me? I am using creams to try to replenish the area and moisturizers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 01:55 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,717 times
Im not so sure about a moisturizing shadow but I would start with a really good eye cream. (Nothing OILY but something creamy). Besides that, I'd stick to applying a makeup base, first and then try applying the shadow over it. Some of the 'cream to powder' shadows may seem moisturizing at first but the still tend to dry out and can flake as much as the plain old powdery eyeshadows. I dont have dry lids but sometimes my shadow tends to fade (I have naturally oily lids). It helps when I use a separate base.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:26 PM

I am using a redensifying eyelid cream by Loreal right now. and I have always used make up base on my eyelids. Should I try to find eye shadow base, will that make that much difference? I have always worn eye shadow this is bugging me. Also using Clinique dramatically different moisturizer

Old 02-20-2008, 03:34 PM

170 posts, read 893,155 times
You might have an infection. Frankly before you start adding creams or moisturizers, which shouldn't get on your lids themselves as this can cause further irritation problems, I'd recommend having a doctor check you out. And if you do have an infection throw out all your eye make-up immediately so you don't re-infect yourself. I'm not sure if washing your brushes, they should be done weekly with shampoo, will kill any bacteria that may be present. I'd wash the brushes, let them air dry and then lightly spritz with an alcohol and let air dry again.

I'm sure you know to throw out your mascara after 3 months but many women hang on to eyeshadow for far too long. Sad to say but in my training we were told to pitch make-up that we had had for a year.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:28 PM

No it actually is dry skin if I only moisturize it gets better and then if I use even new powder shadow it gets irritated like I'm allergic.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:45 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Perhaps you are allergic?

Old 02-21-2008, 09:32 AM

394 posts, read 1,506,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
No it actually is dry skin if I only moisturize it gets better and then if I use even new powder shadow it gets irritated like I'm allergic.
Sounds like an allergy condition or some other skin condition (other than just plain dry) to me. It's my understanding that, even if we've never experienced an allergic reaction, we can develop allergies "out of the blue" as we grow older. Personally, I think I would go to a dermatologist and see if they could diagnose the problem.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:51 AM

1 posts, read 16,561 times
Default Re: Eyelids

I am glad I am not going crazy. I too am having the same problem. Please let me know if you have found a solution.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh0033 View Post
I am glad I am not going crazy. I too am having the same problem. Please let me know if you have found a solution.
I started using a intensive hand cream I bought at Bath and Body Works. That is helping dramatically. I had the pharmacist at Target look and she said it was just extremely dry skin. My age and the fact we moved from Georgia(humid) to CT (dry) Anyway it is their french repairing hand cream honey and shea. It doesn't stay greasy.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:29 AM

926 posts, read 2,746,855 times
I have the same problem, I used organic, vegetarian makeup found in the organic aisle at the grocery store. I dont have them on me so I cant remember the brand but check there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty