Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 06:57 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

I think they are generally wanting you to say "No, you're fine." or words to that effect. People that know the truth but want to deny it to themselves. Same happens with age, looks, etc. Few people are looking for advice which is what I would give them. "Get off the junk food. Get some exercise." I'm not an enabler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 08:07 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
It depends a bit on what the OP's job is. He says he works with the public, but the answer is going to be different depending on if he's working at a gym or is in health care or is a server at a restaurant. For former, he'd be in a position to dole out advice. For the latter, all anyone wants to hear is, "well, nobody needs fries, but they are good."

Old 08-21-2016, 08:10 AM

444 posts, read 324,190 times
Depending on who it is, I say, "Youre not fat."

Old 08-21-2016, 11:34 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I would probably say , "Ya, there's a lot of that going around."

Old 08-21-2016, 11:56 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
I used to do what I call the "Kelly Ripa" response to anything vaguely controversial anyone said back while I was working.

Just go "MMMMMMMM" in a monotone. And look a little off to the side when you're making the noise, don't look them in the eye.

It is completely meaningless, doesn't mean that you agree or disagree, tells them that you hear them, and tells them that you are not really engaging them in conversation.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:08 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I would say, "Yeah, don't we all?" Or some such. Virtually all Americans could stand to drop a few pounds. If you are quite fit, then, you could say, "it's really hard to stay in shape" or something similar.

No need to lie. And there is no need to be brutal. How someone lives is not of your concern.

This!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I used to do what I call the "Kelly Ripa" response to anything vaguely controversial anyone said back while I was working.

Just go "MMMMMMMM" in a monotone. And look a little off to the side when you're making the noise, don't look them in the eye.
Or this!

No need to lie.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:28 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,456,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
So I have a thread about me lying to people about their age, now I thought I would have one about weight.

I work with the public and I do get the occasional remark by customers that they put on weight and need to lose. Even though I think they probably should I politely lie and say they are fine or divert the attention and say I need to lose some weight as well.

Since most posters thought being a liar telling someone they look younger than they look is worse, what are you thoughts about weight? Is it more 'okay' to lie to someone that they don't need to lose weight or disagree that they are not overweight when it's clearly the case they should or are? Are you honest when someone asks you if they are fat/overweight?

My pet peeves are people fishing for youth compliments or telling them they are in fine shape and don't need to lose weight. Either way I just lie to not make anyone feel bad. But if it's someone close to me then I don't mind mentioning to the person losing a few pounds would be better for your health.
I tell them, "You're right! You look like a fat tub of sh*t and I'm repulsed just being in your presence." Then I walk away.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:33 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
If OP works with general public in customer service and worries so much about idle chit chat then maybe the OP should consider different line of work. It's so not difficult to be polite and not worry about other peoples' issues. People go out in public for human interaction otherwise they can spend their whole lives behind a screen talking to strangers. Some people need to learn the art of engaging actual humans face-to
-face. I am teaching my daughter this so she is not rude and anti- social.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:57 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
I wish life was simple enough that I had time to
over analyze every tiny thing people do & say...

If I mention I want to lose 10 lbs it is usually in the context of a conversation about
diet & exercise in general and it is not fishing for any specific response..
Just making conversation...
I like to hear other peoples ideas. People often have
a diet idea to share.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:35 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
I usually respond with a little empathy.

Saying something like..."I'm trying to lose a few pounds myself".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty