Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 10:57 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I am 54 and one of my forefingers has 2 small lumps on the top joint. For now, they are not obvious at all and I happily wear bright nail polish colors. But if they get bigger or spread to other fingers, I am not sure I would be comfortable drawing attention to my hands.

As for nail polish toxicity, I stick with cruelty free brands that are also as chemical free as possible. Zoya, Acquarella, Honeybee Gardens and Pacifica don't contain the nasty stuff mentioned in the article I linked. Pacifica in particular lasts quite a while on me without chipping. Fabulous colors and not too spendy, especially if you can catch one of their sales events.

Duke-EWG Study Finds Toxic Nail Polish Chemical In Women
Good for you Cat.. and it shows that the people who make these things are noticing what people want..... I bought Stella McCartney nail varnish a year ago as I was going to a wedding and wanted to feel nice.. but I thought there wouldnt be a strong smell but it had and I coudlnt use it as I have a severe chemical illness.. so I know what I can wear and what not to .. so I gave it away. quite expensive too, but no use for me .

Last edited by dizzybint; 08-22-2016 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 02:06 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
I'm 40 and have RA. I don't wear nail polish but only because I am lazy not because I have arthritis. I don't wear jewelry because of my swollen fingers.

I say wear nail polish if it makes you happy and makes you feel good.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:18 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I've always worn polish because I have always been able to grow my nails fairly long but now I get acrylics because I have very deep ridges in my fingernails. It was too much trouble to keep them up myself with ridge filler, base coat, color, top coat, etc. I now go once every other week and never have to give a moment's thought to my nails. My hands have always been one of my "things" that people always complimented me on so I like them to look good.

I have noticed what I think is the beginning of arthritis in both my pinkie fingers however and if they ever get really bad and misshapen I will probably go the natural route and cut them very short.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:55 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
I have always worn my nails long. Still do. In my younger days I wore nail polish all the time. Then, I just stopped. It was such a pain waiting for it to dry and I ALWAYS managed to smudge it. I think the last time I wore it was on my wedding day almost 13 years ago. (Wore white-to go with my dress. ). I may still have some bottles around or maybe I tossed them if they had dried up.

As for anyone else, if you want to wear polish, go for it.

Cat

Old 08-22-2016, 04:18 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Good for you Cat.. and it shows that the people who make these things are noticing what people want..... I bought Stella McCartney nail varnish a year ago as I was going to a wedding and wanted to feel nice.. but I thought there wouldnt be a strong smell but it had and I coudlnt use it as I have a severe chemical illness.. so I know what I can wear and what not to .. so I gave it away. quite expensive too, but no use for me .
I am sorry you are so sensitive to chemicals, that must be really difficult. Suncoat polish might work for you, I haven't tried it but it's water-based and supposedly no chemical smell at all. Might be worth a try for your next dress-up occasion.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:11 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Mani-pedis feel GREAT! I'm only 48 and I love having someone rub and pamper my achy hands and feet!

I don't wear nail polish much because I'm a librarian and that is a lot of wear and tear the hands...books and keyboards, and carts of books, and boxes of books. but when i retire??? more manicures! I don't care a bit if they would attract attention to my lumpy knuckles. The knuckles are nothing to be ashamed of.

Sheesh, think about all the people who are going to be sporting tattoos on their wrinkled old skin???? At least we can change the color of the nail polish.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:39 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
My Mother has very bad arthritis but i dont think that ever caused the polish to not adhere to her nails.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:59 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I think you should wear whatever polish makes you happy.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:20 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,309,602 times
I am 56, I have osteoarthritis allover since my mid forties and sometimes, few times still wear nail polish in soft pink/peach colors on the hands, I do have some reds and 1 purple which came in a makeup box/memebox their choice, the reds I wear in december month. I switched to Korean nail polish which I find is less smelly of chemicals.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:02 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
I'm in my 50s and don't have arthritic hands, however, I quit wearing nail polish years ago. The older I've gotten the more I prefer the "natural" look. I keep my nails cut fairly short and have them buffed to a shine once a month.

My mother-in-law is in her late 80s, has a weekly manicure for her long nails, and keeps her nails beautifully polished a bright red year round!

Do what makes you feel good!

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-23-2016 at 11:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty