Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 08:52 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,494,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I'm starting this thread in response to another thread regarding age-related changes which could be depressing to read.

As I notice other older women, I take note of what makes them attractive to me and try to apply these things to my own appearance.

A good haircut, no matter what the color.

Good teeth, not necessarily perfectly straight, but reasonably white (not that artificial bluish look that over-whitened teeth have)

Good posture.

These are all things that can be achieved at a reasonable cost. All it takes is the desire to look our best, despite our age.
I think haircut is totally unimportant. A natural hair look, if the hair is good quality, is best, which means longer, blunt or undercut straight cut, no bangs. Cut once or twice a year. The hair gets weird when yu mess with it too much. Layers are hard to pull off, even if a "good" haircut. Bangs rarely work well.

Hair quality is key: Shiny, moves, soft to the touch, natural, natural color.

Good teeth.

Normal weight.

Cosmetics: makeup is necessary, and esp lots of mascara. The eyelashes thin out with age, so need some oomph added. Blush, powder, eyeliner and/or natural eyeshadow.

Bright colors: It brings life to the dulling skin. No more beige for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 09:07 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,169,762 times
I disagree with the "no bangs". They can hide a lot of forehead wrinkles as long as they are not cut too straight and blunt.

I would say posture, attitude and grooming.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:14 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,237,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikelysuspect View Post

Does anyone have any feelings or thoughts about facials and other spa facial procedures? Does it help the skin?
I get a facial about once a quarter and I do think they are helpful. I alternate between a hydrating facial and one that gives a boost of vitamin C. One reason why I think they do something really beneficial is because my face actually feels a whole lot smoother and more healthy for days and days afterward. Must be doing SOMETHING.

Plus it's just relaxing.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I think haircut is totally unimportant. A natural hair look, if the hair is good quality, is best, which means longer, blunt or undercut straight cut, no bangs. Cut once or twice a year. The hair gets weird when yu mess with it too much. Layers are hard to pull off, even if a "good" haircut. Bangs rarely work well.

This sounds good, but here's something to consider.

Some of us simply cannot wear long hair well. Especially those of us with coarse, thick hair. That hair may be good quality (strong, shiny) but I speak from personal experience on this - if I wore my hair in a blunt or undercut "straight cut" (which would be an exercise in futility anyway), I would look like Rosanne Rosannadanna, and that's no lie.

And if I let it get long (which I did, for years), then the sheer weight of it gives me a headache and neck ache.

Also, bangs can look great on some people.

My point is that you're saying what works for YOU as if it should work for everyone, and that's simply not the case.

I have a short, very precise hair cut that I get cut and thinned once a month. It's fun and funky and spiky and includes bangs and layers. This is not an exaggeration - at least three times a week, someone tells me they love my hair cut and they ask who cuts it (I've sent my hair stylist a pretty good number of new customers).

By the way, even long, my hair never "moved" and has never, not one day in my life, been "soft to the touch." And I am not alone in this challenge. People with hair like mine have to find a great style - but when we find it, it can look terrific.

My point is that hair is so varied among individuals that generalizations such as "it should be soft to the touch," or "Bangs rarely work well," simply don't work.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:12 PM

77 posts, read 102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

A good quality cut is a great thing.

Last edited by alikelysuspect; 10-01-2016 at 02:49 PM..

Old 10-01-2016, 02:15 PM

25,403 posts, read 9,680,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Some of us simply cannot wear long hair well. Especially those of us with coarse, thick hair. That hair may be good quality (strong, shiny) but I speak from personal experience on this - if I wore my hair in a blunt or undercut "straight cut" (which would be an exercise in futility anyway), I would look like Rosanne Rosannadanna, and that's no lie.

And if I let it get long (which I did, for years), then the sheer weight of it gives me a headache and neck ache.

My point is that you're saying what works for YOU as if it should work for everyone, and that's simply not the case.

I have a short, very precise hair cut that I get cut and thinned once a month. It's fun and funky and spiky and includes bangs and layers. This is not an exaggeration - at least three times a week, someone tells me they love my hair cut and they ask who cuts it (I've sent my hair stylist a pretty good number of new customers).

By the way, even long, my hair never "moved" and has never, not one day in my life, been "soft to the touch." And I am not alone in this challenge. People with hair like mine have to find a great style - but when we find it, it can look terrific.

My point is that hair is so varied among individuals that generalizations such as "it should be soft to the touch," or "Bangs rarely work well," simply don't work.
Kathryn, saw pix of your hair the other day on CD. Very pretty!

Old 10-01-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Kathryn, saw pix of your hair the other day on CD. Very pretty!
Thank you! I love it short! And it's natural color too. I'm so glad to be out from under that dying bidness.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:51 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,024,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I disagree with the "no bangs". They can hide a lot of forehead wrinkles as long as they are not cut too straight and blunt.
I disagree too! Although we call it a 'fringe'. And I can't do without my fringe!

Old 10-02-2016, 02:56 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,024,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I will have to give the gel pots a try, sounds like it would give me more control with the amount the brush picks up. Gel Eyeliner pencil sometimes deposits a a little more than I want on my lashes, it's like a pen when you write and it has that awful pen clot at times. I guess it isn't that much of a problem because I do use a Q-tip to kind of smooth it out.
Yeah, I've never tried the gel either. I'm so used to using a pencil. And I've got to use waterproof eyeliner and mascara, because sometimes my eyes water in the cold weather. How waterproof and smudge proof is the gel?

Old 10-04-2016, 05:40 PM

77 posts, read 102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I haven't seen your cut, but it sounds cute. Just a question: do you think you could ever find, or have you ever seen a similar style as yours in a wig? It sounds great for something different and quick, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty