Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 09:54 PM

473 posts, read 760,682 times

Advertisements

List of Macy's stores closing - Business Insider

I know part of this is due to increased competition from online shopping, outlet malls, etc. But another part of it is that a lot of their clothing is not on trend, and really hasn't been for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 07:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMartha View Post
List of Macy's stores closing - Business Insider

I know part of this is due to increased competition from online shopping, outlet malls, etc. But another part of it is that a lot of their clothing is not on trend, and really hasn't been for years.
They have really taken a nose plunge over the past ten years when it comes to quality and style. They deserve to have to close stores. As well as KMart and JC Penney and others who have sacrificed quality and style for...for what, price point? A few dollars one way or the other? Hasn't worked out well for them.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:24 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times
They are a bit ambitious with their headline, though...
Quote:
The retailer didn't say which stores would close or how many employees would be affected, though laid-off workers will likely number in the tens of thousands.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:29 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
This is just a long line of screw ups by federated stores based in Cincinnati and going back to the 1980s. At one time Cincinnati had Shillito's, Dayton had Rike's, Columbus had Lazarus and Indianapolis had L.S.Ayres. These stores had long histories in the cities where they were founded, Shillito's and Rike's were combined to operate under the name Shillito-Rike's and later all the stores operated under the Lazarus name. Once federated acquired Macy's and Bloomingdale's, and with Macy's being known for being a high end retailer, federated changed it's name and the names of all of it's stores to Macy's and even put the moniker on the headquarters building. Not much different than Target taking over Big Lots and doing nothing more than changing the sign above the front door. Terry Lundgren is no longer the CEO, but after two straight years of closing more stores than Sears Holdings (K-Mart and Sears) there may not be much that can be done to save the Ol' Yeller of retail.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:02 PM

296 posts, read 232,385 times
They just can't compete with stores such as T.J. Maxx, Ross and Marshall's. Those are my favorite stores, every time you walk in, there's different items, it's constantly changing.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,954 times
My last trip to Macy's (about 8 years ago) was my last. A saleswoman who belonged behind the checkout counter at a Dollar Tree. Totally incompetent. I also found that I actually could get exactly what I want online far easier than in that store (money no object).

Once a place for quality (particularly men's clothes) it was already overrun by teenager junk, and poorly made, poorly tailored stuff. Prices weren't that off the wall, but quality was lacking, everywhere. Penney's at least, has over the past couple years, started stocking some better stuff, with good prices, reminiscent of its better days 30 to 40 years ago. But Macy's? Just "trendola" stuff of poor quality. Not its bag. I'm not surprised at its store closings.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:02 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Macy's has, hands down, the worst sales staff of any department store I've ever seen - the sparsest, rudest, dumbest. I certainly can't feel sorry for them.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
When I grew up in St. Louis, we had three major department stores and one by one they closed or were bought out. Dillards bought out Stix, Baer and Fuller, and that was an amazing upgrade for the area. I still prefer Dillards to any other department store. Macy's bought out May Co, and that was all for the venerable Famous Barr. I never shopped in Macy's in St. Louis. Since that is the only department store in my area now, I have visited Macy's. I don't care for the store. It might as well be J.C. Penney. And it doesn't have clothes for me. I tried to find a coat there one spring, and gave up. I bought a nice one from LL Bean.

I have bought a purse at Macy's since I've lived here, and a few t shirts which were disappointing. But I just don't have time to tramp through a big store that has almost nothing I want to buy. I think what is killing Macy's are internet offerings. I now buy my Fossil bags from Fossil. And I just ordered a sweatshirt directly from Life is Good. I buy coats from Bean or Lands End. I found my DH's new wallet at Zappos, which is where I also buy most of my shoes. I am not adverse to buying from stores, but I find that when I am searching for something, I have trouble finding it in my size. Macy's is a huge offender in this, IMO. Their stuff is targeted toward a young demographic which is not interested in shopping in person. And for those of us who might want to shop in person, there is nothing we want to buy.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:48 AM

473 posts, read 760,682 times
Bump.

Disappointing holiday sales. The list of store closures was released this week.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:16 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,331,620 times
Note that the same topic is also being discussed here:
List of 68 Macy's Stores That Are Closing

Note that even though Amazon has taken a lot of Macy's market share, sometimes on Macys.com I have gotten great deals. Particularly this year I have bought several IZOD Advantage Polos for myself and friends/family from Macys.com when they have their free shipping over $25 deals, and when I buy two at a time while using a $15 off $40 coupon that we get in the mail, it is almost like getting a second shirt free since we don't have to pay shipping, since we end up paying about $31 after taxes for both shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty