Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 04:17 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
We used to call the government issued one (with the black frames) BCGs "Birth Control Glasses."

Cat
Birth Control glasses are back in style, people use to laugh at them, now it's not so funny, lots of women wear them

some people called them the Buddy Holly style glasses

the style looks good on me with my crew cut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 05:19 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
Birth Control glasses are back in style, people use to laugh at them, now it's not so funny, lots of women wear them

some people called them the Buddy Holly style glasses

the style looks good on me with my crew cut

Buddy Holly sounds much better than BCG.

Cat

Old 09-02-2016, 05:45 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I cannot afford them even with my vision insurance and wish I had never taken it now and I'm going to cancel too because the insurance at this point is only paying for an eye exam and to me I can pay that out of pocket once a year and not every paycheck ...I cannot get the plastic lenses with my prescription . So for me I have to pay out of pocket for my glasses and that is 350.00 I have to save up which means no movies , no new clothes etc until I have that money saved up I don't do crap .
did you try zenni on line? Zennioptical.com. i got a single vision for 23.00 and classy progressive with titanium for $65 with slip on sun glasses/

Old 09-02-2016, 10:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I cannot afford them even with my vision insurance and wish I had never taken it now and I'm going to cancel too because the insurance at this point is only paying for an eye exam and to me I can pay that out of pocket once a year and not every paycheck ...I cannot get the plastic lenses with my prescription . So for me I have to pay out of pocket for my glasses and that is 350.00 I have to save up which means no movies , no new clothes etc until I have that money saved up I don't do crap .
You may wish to look into Zenni (or other online retailers, but I can only personally speak for Zenni from experience). I require the higher index lens materials as well, and my glasses, through conventional retailers, cost even more than yours when I bought them that way. Mine are single vision, but they also fill bifocal and progressives orders.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:15 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,961,718 times
I have one pair of glasses, but...... I have brown, blue, dark green and violet contact lenses.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:12 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,314,385 times
I wear reading glasses only and have been known to find them in my freezer when misplaced. I have 3 around the house.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:57 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
For those of you who have used Zenni do they have the high quality progressives? Do they have the very thin, lightweight lenses also? I have terrible eyesight and in the old days my glasses looked very much like the bottom of a soda bottle. I wear my contacts 90% of the time but sometimes I need to wear the glasses and mine are probably 10 years old and definitely need replacing.

I went on their site and it seems pretty interesting but I didn't see answers to my questions on the FAQ's. You upload a picture of your face and then you can virtually try on the glasses which is a great idea. How many of you were very happy with the way the glasses actually looked on you when you got them?

Old 09-03-2016, 07:23 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Optician here. Like all businesses, we need to make a profit or we would cease to exist. Our prices are set primarily according to what the lab charges us for the lenses and coatings, and they charge us a great deal of money. Frames aren't cheap either. Brick and mortar opticals are just like every brick and mortar business: there are higher costs involved with running a brick and mortar business than there is with an online business. We have rent, employee salaries, maintenance and renovations, supplies, utilities, optical devices and equipment (we just purchased a $150,000 retinal scanner,) software and hardware, the optometrist's salary, so frames and lenses are hardly our only expense.

For those who purchase glasses at Zenni and other online opticals, if that works for you, great. However, if you have a problem with the glasses, if the lenses become damaged or the frame breaks, it would be difficult or impossible for you to do a return or repair. And what about adjustments? Glasses should be adjusted frequently to insure the best vision and comfort. A brick and mortar optical can easily adjust them for you. Eyewear is a matter of you get what you pay for.

If you want to purchase them in a brick and mortar store, there are ways you can save money if you don't have vision insurance or even if you do. You can get standard plastic lenses if you don't have a high prescription. You can forego the anti reflective coatings and Transitions coatings. You can choose a full frame rather than a grooved rimless frame or drill mount, which requires special manufacturing and lens materials. Or if you want coatings, choose the economy brand rather than the high end brand.

If you wear a progressive, I don't recommend getting the cheapest progressive lens though. A mid grade or premium lens offers much more patient satisfaction. The cheaper the progressive lens, the narrower the visual corridor, and the narrower the visual corridor, the more likely it is you will be unhappy with it because you have to turn your head too much to see clearly. And don't forget to ask about economy frames, special deals the optical is offering have, and military discounts if that applies. Medicare will also pay for one pair of glasses after cataract surgery if you have had that done. I hope that helped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
This advertisement presented by Dr. Scooby.

Actually, the big problem is with Luxottica, the company that has a monopoly on eyewear in the United States. Outside of the bottom end places (Wal-Mart, America's Best), they pretty much control everything.

Now I don't know the business well enough to know if the profit is all going to Luxottica or whether independents like Dr. Scooby and his cohorts are taking a good sized chunk as well. But I do know that a couple of pieces of plastic shouldn't cost over $500. And since Luxottica sells them cheaper through their own stores, it's seems pretty obvious independents are indeed taking a good size cut.

Also, and again, I don't know about Dr. Scooby, but the majority of supposed upscale optical offices I have dealt with (I never go to Pearl, LensCrafters and the like) hire the most incompetent people to fit your glasses. Spending over $500 for glasses, and then having to go back repeatedly (or having them sell you frames that don't even fit your face to begin with) is inexcusable.....but pretty much the norm. (I have on several occasions had to demand my money back and go to another office.....only to struggle at getting fitted at the next office, as well.) Once I finally get a pair fitting right, I keep them as long as possible, because I find dealing with these people is even more stressful than buying a new car.
Wow. that was rude. And uncalled for. I'm a woman, BTW. And not a doctor. I've worked in optometry, ophthalmology, and opticianry for almost 15 years however, doing all ends of the business; assistance with patient workups, surgical tech, front desk, optical, LASIK eval, whatever. Assuming you aren't in the optical/optometry biz, and it sounds like you aren't, you don't know who controls what. I assure you it isn't Luxxottica. When I posted my response, I offered suggestions on how to save money, IF you want to buy in a physical optical.

I'm sorry if you have had difficulty buying glasses at other places, but not every optical is like that. In face, probably most aren't. I have no knowledge or control of the functioning of other opticals, only the ones I have worked for. Perhaps your attitude towards opticals in general doesn't help matters. BTW, our office accepts Medicaid and does charity work. We are one of only two opticals in our entire city who accepts Medicaid, and no other optical in our city does charity exams.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:27 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,312 times
I don't even know how many regular sunglasses I have, maybe 6.

I have 1 pair of progressive lenses and I alternate them with contacts. That is expensive enough!

I can't see anything but far away with the contacts, so I have a wardrobe of supplements:
  • several pairs of clear reading glasses at a strength for computer use
  • a pair for reading
  • a brown tinted pair for computer use
  • a black tinted pair for reading outdoors
!!

Old 09-03-2016, 12:51 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
I have seven pair of readers - LR, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, purse, car, by the phone in the upstairs hallway. I have a prescription pair of bifocals which I tried to convince the doctor I would never wear and he insisted once I got used to them I'd never change.

I was right again! (Sometimes it's a curse)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty