U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 06:11 PM

10,404 posts, read 7,492,263 times

Advertisements

Business casual. I agree with black or khaki slacks and a button up shirt/blouse. I never try to dress like a guy (I'm female) but I don't go out of my way to look fru-fru.

Above all else, be comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 03:07 PM

13 posts, read 5,355 times
Thanks so much, everyone who weighed in on this! Yes indeed, the meeting is in about 4 weeks. Although where I live (the southeast US) it can vary a great deal in October. If it's still too hot for the jacket, I'll carry it along anyhow--most places around here are way over air-conditioned, so it might come in handy.

I think white is classic also. I look about 300 times better in off-white or cream, but it will be harder to find a nice shirt in one of those. I am hoping my clothes will look polished, but blend. My writing is where I want the focus.

You all are an enormous help.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:59 PM

10,404 posts, read 7,492,263 times
Well, you've got lots of time! Personally I always hit the thrift shops (the ones in better areas seem to have better stuff). I wear business casual at work - aloha Friday being an exception. I don't like wearing the same tops for too long so I usually find good blouses and swap them out. Find something that you look great in. That's my rule. If it doesn't look great on me, I don't waste my money. Best of luck to you!!

Old 09-25-2016, 02:12 PM

18,904 posts, read 12,506,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfullyclueless View Post
Thanks so much, everyone who weighed in on this! Yes indeed, the meeting is in about 4 weeks. Although where I live (the southeast US) it can vary a great deal in October. If it's still too hot for the jacket, I'll carry it along anyhow--most places around here are way over air-conditioned, so it might come in handy.

I think white is classic also. I look about 300 times better in off-white or cream, but it will be harder to find a nice shirt in one of those. I am hoping my clothes will look polished, but blend. My writing is where I want the focus.

You all are an enormous help.
I wish you good luck! May your meeting be a success.

Like you, I look better in off white or cream, but I do love a white shirt! When I feel I need to bring a little warmth to a look, I count on gold earrings, or a gold brooch. (Brooches are dated, I think, but I like them anyway. As a matter of fact, I really like them!)

My source for white shirts is Lands End. I have extremely good luck with their basic white shirts.

Women's Long Sleeve No Iron Shirt from Lands' End

Other catalog retailers will have good choices as well. I don't favor Foxcroft though.

It is sort of fun getting this outfit together, no? Imagine yourself feeling comfortable, dressed appropriately and being confident in the quality of your work. You go girl!

Old 09-25-2016, 04:23 PM

Yes, it is fun to put this outfit together! I feel like I have a team of consultants advising me here, and that is lovely.

This week I looked at the white shirts offered by Land's End, Banana Republic, and Eddie Bauer online. It is really hard to tell how the fit will be, so I may actually hit the mall for the first time in months.

When I finally get it cobbled together I will post a pic. Thanks again!

Old 10-04-2016, 01:08 PM

219 posts, read 88,673 times
If it is an interview then I would dress business professional, it's more formal than a regular work day. Also, better to be overdressed than underdressed and have the interview be judged off of that.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:31 AM

9,126 posts, read 3,940,319 times
I agree - a crisp white button down shirt never goes out of style. If it's too hot for a jacket, try a lightweight flyaway sweater. I live in Florida and I almost always wear a lightweight sweater to complete my outfit even if I take it off the minute I get to work.

The white shirt with dark denim sounds perfect. I think straight legs are still "in" but bootcut jeans are much more flattering if you're hippy although it sounds like you are in great shape. Add the jewelry as suggested and a pair of wedges or booties.

Let us know what happens!

Old 11-10-2016, 02:34 PM

Talking Thumbs up! And thanks!

Thanks much for all the opinions, ideas, and advice offered. I had the meeting with the publisher and it went very well. I wore my dark jeans, a white blouse, short boots, and gold jewelry. I stressed over this outfit so much, but once I got there I was able to forget it and focus on the business at hand, which indicates to me it was a GREAT outfit. Will definitely use again in the future, possibly for book signings...since I now have a publishing contract! Woohoo!

Question: Probably for book signings I can do a bit more individual flair and less business-like, right? The book is fiction/humor, so I don't have to appear to be an expert or anything.

Thanks again for all the guidance here!!! Y'all are the best!

Old 11-10-2016, 02:50 PM

18,904 posts, read 12,506,474 times
Oh, yes add some flair. Your audience will appreciate it. Congratulations on the publishing contract! You go girl!

Old 11-10-2016, 11:06 PM

26,879 posts, read 28,176,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfullyclueless View Post
Thanks much for all the opinions, ideas, and advice offered. I had the meeting with the publisher and it went very well. I wore my dark jeans, a white blouse, short boots, and gold jewelry. I stressed over this outfit so much, but once I got there I was able to forget it and focus on the business at hand, which indicates to me it was a GREAT outfit. Will definitely use again in the future, possibly for book signings...since I now have a publishing contract! Woohoo!

Question: Probably for book signings I can do a bit more individual flair and less business-like, right? The book is fiction/humor, so I don't have to appear to be an expert or anything.

Thanks again for all the guidance here!!! Y'all are the best!
Congrats ans bust out your flair on the book tour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or