U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 08:33 AM

11,062 posts, read 8,986,001 times

Advertisements

Sounds like I have quite a bit of work to do! I am going to follow the advice of finding shoes and belts first and go from there. Lots of great ideas here and lots of research to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 10:06 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Don't over throw your current wardrobe all at once. But at same time don't buy 1 new piece of clothes. Buy an entire outfit (pant, shirt, shoes..etc). Focus on buying 1 or 2 new complete outfit.

For now
1) look online at outfits or at Macy's website or even Khol's website to see what grabs your attention.
2) Then keep that image in mind or on your phone & try them out in store or order them online and try out in your home.
3) When you find something you are happy and proud of, buy it and wear it for while before getting your next outfit

I am lot like you, a proud geek. I have always shopped in Khols, Jcpenny. Always assumed Macy was too expensive even when I was making decent money. My friends always told me how bad I dress. Then I met my husband who only knows Macy and does not step foot in other shop. He doesn't buy a lot but start of each season he buys few new items & wears them extensively. Staying with him I realize, If I buy something from shop like Macy, I often don't feel embarrassed or worried that I got something too cheap. And it is easier to put outfits together & shop for best deal when you focus on 1 or 2 store. I still shop in Khols and JCP and Nordstrom. Its all mixed in.

good luck, give us your update how it goes. I usually spent about a week thinking/trying on per season before I feel comfortable with my own items
I find that store has little bearing on how stylish and put together you look. You can find good stuff at every store at all price points. There is a loose correlation of price and longevity. But it isn't very clean. Macy's has similar quality to Kohls across many lines.

My take is, for men especially, it is worth it to splurge on the shoes. Men's shoes are made better and last a long time. There is a correlation between price and longevity.

OP: you didn't quite give us a good picture of your lifestyle. I think for casual men, a pair of chelsea style boots can look great, but it might be a bit too warm for Socal spring / summer. If you are preppy or ironic a pair od Sperry's is great for summer shoes. Driving loafers are great if you are over 35. If you are casual, get some minimalist hip sneakers for every day wear.

A look that can work great for slim guys is tee shirt + sports jacket. Pair this with jeans or slim fit khakis. Find a style icon to emulate!

Old 10-12-2016, 10:23 AM

4,107 posts, read 3,444,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Sounds like I have quite a bit of work to do! I am going to follow the advice of finding shoes and belts first and go from there. Lots of great ideas here and lots of research to do!
Good plan. I note good leather goods. Be sure to keep shoes polished. Scuffed up shoes always distract me.

And next time you buy polos, get them from a Polo shop or online. They have frequent promos. The quality is so much better & they remain sharp longer.

Ironing shirts, even the so called no iron ones, will help you look more put together.

Lands End does sell a washable wool blend pant which is surprisingly nice. It might be a nice step up from cotton khakis for some work days. I also think their khakis are a good value.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:29 AM

21,464 posts, read 22,698,975 times
I work in a casual environment, and I used to work with a hipstery-sort of guy who would wear stuff like this: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/g...%26slotId%3D49 with boots or sneakers. He looked a lot less schlumpy than most of the dudes who work here.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I work in a casual environment, and I used to work with a hipstery-sort of guy who would wear stuff like this: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/g...%26slotId%3D49 with boots or sneakers. He looked a lot less schlumpy than most of the dudes who work here.
I also work in a casual environment (tech company) and all of the men dress this way. It is actually quite funny as all of them have the same shirts. You might see 2-3-4 guys wearing the same shirt on a given day! Oh man at my last company, on headshot day, 95% of the men were wearing tucked in plaid shirts, jeans and loafers or fancy sneakers. Literally only 2 men had a different outfit on!

The trick to getting the button down right is making sure the fit is perfect. Not too baggy! And always wear flat front pants!

Old 10-12-2016, 11:50 AM

11,062 posts, read 8,986,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The trick to getting the button down right is making sure the fit is perfect. Not too baggy! And always wear flat front pants!
This is where I struggle. I am very thin so almost any shirt off the rack looks big on me. I don't really want to get stuff tailored either. It seems like a lot of work to have a $40 shirt or whatever tailored. Some stores do sell thin/skinny shirts but then they usually end up fitting in the chest better but end up being too short on the sleeves and/or length in general and won't stay tucked.

Oh and I never, ever, ever buy pleated pants.

And to address a few other posts, I am mainly interested in updated my work apparel so I can't do sneakers or tshirts. I have to do business casual which is khakis, polos, and non sneakers at a minimum. After work and on weekends I wear jeans and tees mainly.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:51 AM

8,142 posts, read 7,466,203 times
Nothing ages a man faster than wearing khakis and a polo shirt.

Throw out the polos and get some fitted t-shirts. If you must wear khakis, wear flat front, slim cut.

Invest in a good pair of loafers. Good shoes make everything look good so spend $100.

H&M would be much less dowdy than shopping at JC Penny.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

H&M would be much less dowdy than shopping at JC Penny.
Yes! And H&M should fit you better. Try Uniqlo too!

Old 10-12-2016, 12:12 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,030,799 times
I'm in tech too but I work at a university so I can basically dress how I want to. I prefer to look good though; here are the the basics of my wardrobe:

Banana Republic slim fit, flat front chinos. I buy these in every color and I don't even need to to try them on.

AG jeans, these almost always fit perfect off the rack.

For shirts, if you are going to go untucked, make sure it has a straight hem. A tail-shaped hem that is untucked just looks like it needs to be tucked in. I'm most partial to Criquet for polos. They have collar stays so you'll never get that bacon collar look. They also make nice oxford as well. I also have my share of Ralph Lauren button down shirts, mostly with a spread collar. I wore the Polo horse out in the 90s so I don't buy them much anymore but I did just pick up a nice long sleeve knit oxford Polo. I'm also partial to Thomas Dean shirts that have contrasting collar undersides for something a little different.

For shoes, I wear either Camper Pelotas, Naot Chief (super comfy) and I just picked up a pair of Cole Haan chukka boots for fall. For casual shoes, I have 3 pair of Varvatos Converse (gray, brown and oxblood) and just picked up a pair of vintage Nike SB Dunks that I look forward to wearing on the weekend. Clarks make nice casual shoes that are resonable too IMO.

Of course I don't always pay full price, I look for deals like anyone else would. I just prefer to buy quality stuff that lasts a long time as I wear my clothes until they are worn out!

Old 10-12-2016, 01:51 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,999,801 times
Im not a fan of places like Macy's or Penny's since they have too much crap. I'd recommend starting with J Crew or maybe J Crew Factory; may be a little pricey but good slim fit selections. Lower price point would be Uniqlo or H&M if you have them in your area.

For shirts, i'd stick with basic white, blue and patterned shirt, semi spread collars. Bonobos Tailored (3 for $225), The Tie Bar Trim (3 for $140).

Id splurge on a Blue Blazer. Its pricey, but versatile and a well tailored one can make any ill fitting shirt look good. I got mine from Bonobos, and it fit as close to perfect off the rack, with minor sleeve adjustments.

I'd also spend money on a good pair of shoes. Lace Ups or Loafers, Dark Chocolate Brown (no black), polished, round toe (no square toe). Allen Edmonds is expensive, but will get you a Goodyear welted shoe that can be recrafted and last years. I've got two laceups, loafer, and eyeing Dundee - Plain-toe Lace-up Men's Chukka Boots by Allen Edmonds

Not sure if you want a good pair of athletic shoes, but cant go wrong with simple, white tennis classics like Adidas Stan Smiths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty