U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 11:13 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,303,749 times

Advertisements

My husband is big and tall and I am tall so I cant give you much advice on finding "regular" people clothing.
I buy most of my husbands clothes so I am used to buying men stuff though. Hes pretty traditional. YMMV.

My advice is to first figure out your style and what colors you look good in. Pick 3-5 colors and build a core wardrobe. If everything is interchangeable you will look more put together. IMO color is very important. My husband looks good in pastels like pink. I look like hell in pink.

Since you don't have much money you want to spend it wisely. Spend money on the basics . Nobody knows you have 47 pair of pants in your closet. They only know that the pair you have on right now looks cheap. I go by what I call cost per wearing. A $100 pair of navy pants that you wear twice a week is a much better bargain than a pair of $10 red pants that you only wear at Christmas. Stick to basic colors for the bottom. Shoes belts pants. Most people will focus on the top part of your outfit.

Do NOT buy stuff just because its on sale. If it doesn't go with the rest of your wardrobe its not a bargain.
When you buy something new you need to think about how many existing items you can wear it with. More is better.

Go to the expensive stores and try on the good stuff. Get a feel of how expensive clothes fit. Now when you go to Goodwill you can recognize the good stuff.

A pet peeve of mine is when guys ties don't go with what theyre wearing. IM old school. JMO. A tie should have at least one of the colors you have on. Two colors is better. For example if my husband were wearing grey pants and pink shirt I would choose a pink tie with a grey pattern or a grey tie with a pink pattern. A solid pink or grey would work but hes messy so he has to wear patterned ties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 08:06 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times
I agree with the above. If you can wear something with only one other thing in your wardrobe (like a plaid shirt you can only wear with one pair of pants), be really cautious about buying it.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:22 AM

11,062 posts, read 8,980,576 times
I think I need to hire a personal shopper. Any volunteers?

Old 10-13-2016, 08:32 AM

34,531 posts, read 42,708,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Thanks for the advice so far everyone. Much appreciated.

I'm in Southern California (LA) and have a pretty laid back lifestyle in general and not much winter to speak of. Unless you consider a high of 65 for a couple months to be winter.

I do own a couple of suits but only wear them for interviews. I'm a casual guy but have to dress business casual so I just want to look a bit nicer than my old beat up khakis and polos.
I think you should watch for sales and buy good quality, instead of cheap. I would especially hope that you buy very good shoes. A high quality shoe will last almost forever, and are better for your feet. If it matters, shoes and watches are what women look at. Samuel Hubbard makes a great casual shoe for about $200.

Watch and see what other men in your circle are wearing and ask them where they shop. Truthfully, the men I know mostly wear what their wives pick out, so do you have a sister or friend who can help?

Last edited by gentlearts; 10-13-2016 at 08:42 AM..

Old 10-13-2016, 11:30 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,526,667 times
If you want a large selection of shoes at a moderate price point, go to a DSW or a Nordstrom Rack location. The main Nordstrom store is a great place for shoes, but prices run from moderate to somewhat expensive. It depends upon the Nordstrom Rack, but I did buy a pair of Allen Edmunds at one for under $200 and also found a couple of Testoni and a pair of Testoni Basics that were well under half price. That's a location that is across the street from a high volume Nordstrom, so I wonder if it is better stocked because of proximity to the main mall store, but there are times when I leave with nothing.

Online, Zappos and 6pm (also part of Zappos) have great selections, and some of the price points on 6pm are incredible, provided they have your size. I bought a pair of John Varvatos suede shoes for under $50, when they are normally $275 or so in the regular store. If only they carried John Lobb at a discount, I would be happy, but there are some things for which one must pay. However, for a business casual environment, you can't go wrong with a Derby, Wingtip, or Cap toe shoe in a medium brown/cognac or even suede, though suede can be easily abused.

I tend to have a number of shoes, and some overlap, but there are days when I am not going to wear a more expensive pair, but I like to have options within options and do tend to have as many shoes as the lady in my life.

For shirts, I also like Thomas Dean, as mentioned above, and would include Peter Werth, Kiton, and Eton as other brands that you may want to consider.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-15-2016, 09:30 AM

42,565 posts, read 42,407,014 times
Big and Tall Clothing: Men's Suits and More | Nordstrom | Nordstrom
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...NCX41cZqzbXSbA
Express Clothing
Big and Tall Men's Clothing | Old Navy® - Free Shipping on $50

Old 10-19-2016, 07:19 AM

2,298 posts, read 1,668,284 times
You do not need to spend thousands to update your clothing!! No way. I love shopping for deals at kohls, target, tj max, marshals, thrift stores, Ross, old navy.. All more affordable spots and usually will have some good mark downs.

Start slow, you don't have to do a 180. Just pickup something when you find a good deal and a nice piece. I would go out to a few stores I mentioned and see what you can find. Maybe wait a month and do it again. Start with basics like a new pair of jeans and some simple shirts. For work if you need more dressy looks, go with a dress pant and button up dress shirt. It's just nice to have some staple items to start with. If you find a outfit you like at the store, then look for some shoes that would go well with it. Since your wanting a new look, find out what new look you like. See what you like and don't like before going out and buying a bunch of stuff you may not wear. Or if you like several styles make sure to get items for each and mix and match a bit.

Best thing is knowing what you like and what your wanting the new style to be.. Then finding basics and necessity pieces (like for work) and adding from there.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:09 AM

2,624 posts, read 2,111,724 times
What bmwguydc said taken even further (Nordstrom Rack for clothes too), and the mantra "You do not need to spend thousands to update your clothing!!" I don't recommend a personal shopper per se, but there are services where you can hire a man from the Internet to assist.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:48 AM

11,062 posts, read 8,980,576 times
I decided I'm going to start buying one new item every week or two and slowly build up my wardrobe over time. I'm going to start with a couple of nice pairs of shoes (at least 1 black and 1 brown pair). I'll buy quality and not spend $50 like I did in the past. Then I'll work on nice flat front pants and button up shirts. I also plan on having clothes tailored for the first time in my life.

Since I plan on getting clothes tailored do I just buy the size closest to what I think I am or do I buy one size bigger since I don't want to get too small and not be able to tailor it?

Old 10-27-2016, 03:37 PM

2,624 posts, read 2,111,724 times
Confident until the second paragraph. If you don't know how clothes should fit, you should not trust yourself to build up a new wardrobe. You can look online for how items should fit, some of which has leeway for personal taste. Shirts need to fit in the shoulders and chest before tailoring. Can't you first have a few of your current shirts tailored so that you discover how you like them to fit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty