U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 09:22 AM

11,095 posts, read 9,054,557 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm a self admitted geek and don't exactly dress all that nicely. I stick to khakis, polos, and some button up shirts with slip on shoes in my business casual office. I'm wanting to upgrade my look and ditch my current wardrobe.

Now I don't want to spend a ton of money but all these articles I'm Googling about updating your wardrobe are talking about picking up a nice pair of X pants and shoes that both cost well over $100 each. Meaning if I want to update my entire wardrobe I'm looking at thousands of dollars. I just don't want to drop that kind of cash.

I'm looking for advice and suggestions on how best to do this? Swap out my wardrobe slowly and buy a few things at a time? Or just buy cheaper stuff and go all at once? And where do I even begin to know what to buy/where to buy it? I know places like Ross and Kohl's have some cheap options. To top it off I'm tall and really thin so buying clothes off the rack always look big on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 09:39 AM

25,907 posts, read 35,056,196 times
My husband is a programmer who had the typical closet of pleated-front Dockers and short-sleeve button-up shirts. Those clothes were getting worn out, and he was never really happy with his work wardrobe. A year or so ago, we got him some new things from Carsons and Macy's. He wears flat-front Calvin Klein slacks and slim-fit, long-sleeved dress shirts now. Nothing was over $100. If you shop during sales, you can score pretty good deals (about $35 for a shirt, $45 for pants). If you know your neck and sleeve measurements (they'll measure you in the men's dept), you can shop online and find things on clearance. I just bought him five short-sleeve Van Heusen shirts from Penney's for $100 total. If you look around and try things on, you'll see what brands fit best. Then go online, look for sales, and stick to those brands. You can get away with a couple pairs of pants that go with all the shirts. It's getting chilly, so you could maybe get some sweaters. Kohl's sweaters are decent. I like Lands End sweaters (and they come in talls--my man is tall too), but they can be expensive. Take a look though.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:03 PM

25,505 posts, read 24,235,975 times
I love untucked but neat shirts on guys, either buttons all the way down (obviously with the top couple unbuttoned) or just at the neck; either "dress" shirts or that waffle style material (what is that called again)?

LOVE this look, it is casual yet so cool (to me, anyway).

Let's see if I can find examples.

Okay, a few on this page...untucked, sleeves up, looks so cute, and contemporary and I feel it looks good on a man of any age (as long as he's relatively trim).

Old 10-11-2016, 01:33 PM

4,147 posts, read 3,482,382 times
Your location & lifestyle should indicate what to spend your money on.

Do you have occasion to wear a suit? A funeral, wedding, work event or dinner out? Or do you live where a button down with tie & khakis or wool blend pants is the norm for "Sunday best"?

Do you live where there is winter?

I believe in quality over quantity & think a good fit is essential.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:35 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,339,149 times
Don't over throw your current wardrobe all at once. But at same time don't buy 1 new piece of clothes. Buy an entire outfit (pant, shirt, shoes..etc). Focus on buying 1 or 2 new complete outfit.

For now
1) look online at outfits or at Macy's website or even Khol's website to see what grabs your attention.
2) Then keep that image in mind or on your phone & try them out in store or order them online and try out in your home.
3) When you find something you are happy and proud of, buy it and wear it for while before getting your next outfit

I am lot like you, a proud geek. I have always shopped in Khols, Jcpenny. Always assumed Macy was too expensive even when I was making decent money. My friends always told me how bad I dress. Then I met my husband who only knows Macy and does not step foot in other shop. He doesn't buy a lot but start of each season he buys few new items & wears them extensively. Staying with him I realize, If I buy something from shop like Macy, I often don't feel embarrassed or worried that I got something too cheap. And it is easier to put outfits together & shop for best deal when you focus on 1 or 2 store. I still shop in Khols and JCP and Nordstrom. Its all mixed in.

good luck, give us your update how it goes. I usually spent about a week thinking/trying on per season before I feel comfortable with my own items

Old 10-11-2016, 01:43 PM

11,095 posts, read 9,054,557 times
Thanks for the advice so far everyone. Much appreciated.

I'm in Southern California (LA) and have a pretty laid back lifestyle in general and not much winter to speak of. Unless you consider a high of 65 for a couple months to be winter.

I do own a couple of suits but only wear them for interviews. I'm a casual guy but have to dress business casual so I just want to look a bit nicer than my old beat up khakis and polos.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:18 PM

10,872 posts, read 18,976,800 times
You might try some thrift stores. Go to the thrift stores closest to the affluent parts of your city, because people will be more likely to donate nice work clothes and good shoes there. Since you're tall, looking for pants is easy...look for the ones that hang down longer than the others on the rack.

It takes a little more time than just walking into Macy's and spending a couple hundred dollars, but it gives you the opportunity to try lots of different styles for less.

Also, Kohls usually has great clearance prices. This time of year they're probably clearing out the polos really cheap. Some fresh new polos would still be what you're used to but they'd help update your look.

One thing you probably have to buy new is blue jeans that fit you just right. Get a couple pairs for the weekend.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:49 PM

18,981 posts, read 12,570,291 times
Tall Mens Clothing | Lands' End

DH buys shirts at Lands End a lot when he I can get him to buy shirts. I think LE is a little "old" in some ways, but their no iron shirts wash and dry like a dream. Here is some inspiration from Banana Republic:

Men's Business Casual | Banana Republic® Scroll down for more casual looks.

I like the vest with a long sleeve shirt. I checked a dress shirt and it does come in tall. I imagine there are plenty of options for a tall guy there. You have said that you are finding that things cost a lot, and I sympathize. But, get inspiration from the images at sites like Banana Republic, and then shop at Lands End or a similar vendor.

You asked whether to buy a lot of things or a few nice things, and the latter is what I advise you to do. You can add one or two things every month, possibly shopping sales for them. At the end of the year, you will have purchased at least 24 new items and your wardrobe will be so much nicer looking. Start by replacing the worst looking things, and go slow. If you aren't happy with something, you can almost always return it.

I am going to confess that I don't like Kohls. The quality is dicey, in my experience, for one thing. And you see the same garment everywhere. But Kohls is easy to do business with.

Now for shoes. Buy the best you can afford, and make sure they fit. DH likes Nordstroms for shoes. He has also bought successfully from Dillards. If you have a look at Nordstroms, you will see what is in style, and what you like. You don't have to buy from them, but do have a look.

Most guys don't like doing the research they need to do to buy nice looking clothes. They want to go in and buy something. I am asking you to look around and be selective before buying. Once you know the look you want, you can find it. Don't rule out buying online. We do it all the time, and we have had mostly good luck.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:00 PM

10,757 posts, read 25,589,633 times
I don't like to shop by price point, but look for the quality of garment for the expenditure. As such, I would not toss out everything and start anew in an inexpensive manner, but add pieces as you find some that you like. Take a look at Thomas Pink, Brooks Brothers, and Ralph Lauren, where it is not difficult to find long sleeve shirts for tall people. I'm 6', so I can get by with most standard sizes, provided the arms are long enough, since I absolutely hate it when I have to go up a size for sleeve length as the shirt will either have to be tailored or look like a bag on me, making the less expensive shirt more expensive than a higher priced shirt that fits well off the rack. Brooks Brothers tends to run specials where you can get three shirts for a price, etc., and the company's own outlets do tend to stock a decent array of clothing, with salespeople who are trained as at the regular Brooks Brothers stores and will help you.

For polos, Brooks Brothers has some in slim fit that would be a good option to consider, or I'd look at Nordstrom and focus on shirts in The Rail or from a designer like Billy Reid, where you find unique polos, not the same patterns and solids that are worn by 80% of the guys in a similar work environment. Sunspel, Lacoste, and Ralph Lauren have also been good bets for me.

For pants, don't be afraid to add a pattern, such as a well fitting pair of checked pants, like a houndstooth, windowpane, or a Prince of Wales check that you can wear with a long sleeve shirt or a polo, something versatile, but not the same as khakis. Now, with khakis, there are khakis and khakis, and skip the Dockers and look for something like a Bill's Khakis. And, don't fear adding chinos in different colors and textures, like grey, navy, blue, such that you can be a bit more versatile. I'd also look at Brooks Brothers, Nordstrom, etc., and would also suggest looking at Gustin, online only, but at good prices for the quality for shirts and pants. They have many jeans, but also have diversified as of late with other pants that are suitable for a business casual environment.

I agree that shoes are important, and I would start out with shoes and belts to add a bit of style right now. Find a pair of shoes that are different than what you normally wear and buy a new belt to match, and let that serve as a step forward.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-12-2016, 01:30 AM

974 posts, read 2,481,801 times
Try this place, decent prices and an array of sizes available:

Store Locations in "los angeles, ca" | Burlington Coat Factory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty