Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:12 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

A couple of friends and acquaintances have recently decided to move to NYC. One of their many reasons included wanting to have the freedom to dress up more without people thinking you are weird or overdressed or any of the other myriad of negative assumptions when you dress up too much in our industry.

So it got me thinking about how my own style might change if I lived somewhere else. I tend to dress up, but I intentionally add a casual thing to look less dressed up. My native style is more east coast preppy than west coast casual. And I wear flats 90% of the time. Thinking about the more formal NYC look (black, black, black ) I realize I wouldn't move in that direction. But I might be inspired to add more polish with some makeup. And swap my sneakers and sporty inspired shoes for dressier flats more often.

Would your style change if you lived somewhere else? How do you think it would be impacted?

Last edited by jade408; 10-12-2016 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 10:35 AM

219 posts, read 162,880 times
I've lived all over the US. When I was on the west coast I dressed more casual but fashionable, it was a lifestyle change, I was outside a lot more so my attire matched that. Southeast I dressed less outdoorsy but still casual and didn't do my hair and makeup quite as often. Now I work and I dress business casual/professional and I doubt it would change if I moved. Whenever I go on business trips/conferences it doesn't.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:00 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
You know, that's a good question. I think probably yes. I do think I dress a scootch more "trendy" here (on the west coast) than I did in the northeast. It's just all around me. It's what I see and what's highlighted in stores and so on.

I'm not a very trendy person by nature but I do think I "dress up" a bit more out here. In the northeast I was always in something black, LOL. (Black goes with everything...)

Old 10-12-2016, 11:28 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You know, that's a good question. I think probably yes. I do think I dress a scootch more "trendy" here (on the west coast) than I did in the northeast. It's just all around me. It's what I see and what's highlighted in stores and so on.

I'm not a very trendy person by nature but I do think I "dress up" a bit more out here. In the northeast I was always in something black, LOL. (Black goes with everything...)
When I lived in the southeast I was way less trendy. Part of that was due to clothing availability. The other part was people were so conservative.

Now I am a tiny bit trendy - if the trends work for me! I scan them but only adopt if I like it. Now I am probably out, because I have latched on to the fit and flare trend and love that shape!

Old 10-12-2016, 11:37 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
What I wear is a function of what I do.

If I lived somewhere else but did the same things, the wardrobe would not change much.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:46 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
I'd wear plaid and flannel a lot more if I still lived where I grew up in the Midwest and not where I am now (Southern California).

Old 10-13-2016, 04:15 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,604,545 times
I love boots but hardly get to wear them in southern CA. If I moved back East or to the Midwest I'd wear a lot more boots, both ankle and knee-high. I'd also invest in cashmere sweaters, knit dresses, and tights in colors like wine and forest green.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:16 AM

427 posts, read 440,037 times
I think climate would play a major role for me. Other factors would be the type of work one is doing. As an example it would be rather hard to be trendy in black, black black in a bakery!

Old 10-13-2016, 08:08 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I would definitely wear more jackets, sweaters, tights & boots if I lived back in the Northeast. If I lived in Montana or Vermont, probably more plaid & flannel. A lot depends on how stylish you are and where you live.

Here in SW Florida we dress pretty casual but I still have a little bit of the NY style in me and probably overdress considering I work in a 3 person office and even the boss comes to work in shorts & flip flops.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:59 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
How would your style change if you lived somewhere else?

It wouldn't; the last thing I care about is what a clique of other mostly-superficial people think about what are my personal choices, and mine alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty