U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 01:05 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,045,500 times

Advertisements

ll Bean and Orvis and use there credit card for free shipping also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 04:49 PM

13,137 posts, read 7,387,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have bought online for years, but am doing even more of that now.

Lands End
LL Bean
Duluth Trading Co.
Zappos for shoes, almost exclusively now
Costco for "trail" socks
Kohls for underwear and sleepwear and other occasional purchases (I find Kohl's clothes to have quality issues, but sometimes I have found things there.)
Dress Barn because it is convenient, and sometimes I am desperate. But their clothes aren't really my style.
I have a couple of coats I got from Marshalls, but I have not had luck finding things in the TJ Maxx in this area. The coats are several years old.
I have a couple of coats that I purchased from Dillards several years ago. There is no Dillards where I live now.

I occasionally buy from Christopher & Banks, but I feel their stuff is a little too cutesy, and the quality isn't that great.

I used to buy from Chicos, but there isn't one close to where I live now. I might try to do online ordering some time.

I've also started buying from Goodwill. I've had decent luck doing that.
I don't get how people buy clothes online. I've never had good luck buying clothing online, and I buy everything online I can. The only exception is for an item I've tried on in the store first. I do this with my crazy expensive running shoes. I'll try them on in the store, find the right fit in the right size, then buy the identical shoe online for less. But everything else I buy in person. There's no way for me to know if it fits right or will look good on me otherwise, and I've done too many returns due to improper fit/ugliness. I am no size 3 5'10" model, so the individuals wearing the clothing they want me to purchase are not representative of me in any way, shape, or form.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:01 PM

109 posts, read 56,641 times
Clothing:

White House | Black Market - mostly in their boutiques, but some online

Athleta.com

Shoes:

Zappos.com

Born.com

Nordstrom

Old 11-02-2016, 07:46 PM

12,230 posts, read 1,648,178 times
Most of my clothing, shoes, and accessories (purses, jewelry, etc.) comes from thrift stores...Goodwill, Family Thrift, and local thrifts. If I shop in stores, I always go to the clearance racks first. Underwear is usually from Target.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:01 PM

8,139 posts, read 7,463,231 times
Anthropologie
Saks
Nordstrom
TJ Maxx

Old 11-02-2016, 09:01 PM

2,581 posts, read 3,140,332 times
Nordstrom
Loft
Marshalls
Costco
Consignment stores

Old 11-03-2016, 05:52 AM

13,103 posts, read 17,634,355 times
Thrift stores all the way I can go into thrift stores with 25 and come out with a closet full of clothes and name brands too for next to nothing . I think I'm helping the earth stay around a lil longer if we re use clothes .

Old 11-03-2016, 07:31 AM

9,096 posts, read 3,918,635 times
I also buy at petite friendly stores because I always have a problem with the armholes being too big if it fits across the chest on anything sleeveless.

My favorite place for pants these days is Chico's. Don't care for much of their other clothes as they have a tendency to look matronly. Dillards, J.C. Penney's and occasionally places like T.J. Maxx or Marshalls. I get annoyed trying to shop in those last two because I don't like having to rummage through racks and racks of clothes to find the one thing that might fit me plus they don't seem to have a very good selection especially in petites.

I have bought online from LL Bean in the past and still have a pair of leggings from at least 10 years ago that are still in good shape. That's more than I can say for most stores.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,382 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Most from Costco, their jeans, dress shirts, underwear, socks, and slacks are all well made, fit great, good prices, and of course they have a liberal return policy. I don't care a bit about the name brand of what I wear. I do also wear a lot of pocket Ts, and those I get good quality online for $5-6 rather than pay the department store prices of $20-50.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:01 AM

8,650 posts, read 4,783,711 times
Thrift store. One advantage to living on an island full of rich people is I get to buy their cast-off, good quality brands for really cheap. Brand-wise, I'd have to say that J.Crew is at the top of my list; particularly with pants, it is one of the few brands that actually seems to understand petite proportions. Banana Republic is a lose second. The only place I buy new things is The Rainforest Site; lot's of quirky, handmade pieces, and a portion of sales go toward various environmental and humanitarian causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or