U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 03:20 PM

18,860 posts, read 12,481,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't get how people buy clothes online. I've never had good luck buying clothing online, and I buy everything online I can. The only exception is for an item I've tried on in the store first. I do this with my crazy expensive running shoes. I'll try them on in the store, find the right fit in the right size, then buy the identical shoe online for less. But everything else I buy in person. There's no way for me to know if it fits right or will look good on me otherwise, and I've done too many returns due to improper fit/ugliness. I am no size 3 5'10" model, so the individuals wearing the clothing they want me to purchase are not representative of me in any way, shape, or form.
I was buying via catalog for years before I started buying online. I did this because it was often hard to find things I liked locally. I also liked reading about the item. How I do this now, is I always check the size chart. If I am buying a top, I buy by bust measurement. If I am buying pants, I buy by hip size. With the last pair of pants I bought, I actually ordered two sizes, and sent the larger pair back for a refund. I don't like doing this, because I pay for the shipping back usually, but I wanted to know for a fact what my size was, and I considered this research.

I love the pants I bought, by the way.

Once you find a brand that fits you, you can order with confidence. But you still have to read the descriptions. And some brands offer different fits for, say, tees or jeans. So, you have to pay attention.

If you are finding exactly what you want locally, I don't know why you'd do online ordering. But the fact is, I can't find what I want, or a decent selection in my size, locally. Local shops generally offer a misses size 16 max, and then start again with size 1X. I fall in between. I would love to find a size 0X or a size 18. For awhile I could find some 0X things, but I can't now. Another size that fits well is a 14 Women's. Again, they don't seem to exist any more. Or if they do, I can't find them.

Catalog clothes run a little differently, often. I can often wear an XL in some catalog lines.

I also prefer natural fibers. These are harder to find, but they are carried in catalog retailers. So, I order those there. I just bought two new 100% cotton tees from a local chain, and I absolutely hate them. I find better stuff like this online.

So, those are my reasons. I think we tend to use whatever resources work best for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 03:30 PM

24,718 posts, read 59,596,711 times
I almost never buy clothes for me. People give me clothes for birthdays and Christmas and fathers day. My sister used to frequent Salvation Army stores, second hand stores and stores that sell off left over clothes that did not sell at major retailers. It was her hobby. Every time we saw her, she had a huge bag of clothes for each of us. She decided she does not like me anymore (or anyone for that matter), so we do not see her anymore, but I think I have enough clothing for the next 10 years at least.

I buy suits from a suit store like JOS Bank or Mens Warehouse (or whatever its name is now). I wear my suits for 10 or more years, so I am not clothes shopping very often. Sometimes I buy a pair of shorts at Meijers or Target. Othewise, I just see what shows up on holidays.

Oh and my new employer gave me a really nice polo shirt and a jacket with the name of the company and out 100 year anniversary logo on it.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:05 PM

485 posts, read 234,924 times
I never do online shopping...
I like to see, tryout, feel etc the clothes.
I love to shop at TJMaxx, Marshalls, Burlington coat factory and Nordstrom rack.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:42 PM

219 posts, read 88,513 times
Maurices, Kohls, swimsuitsforall, and Target depending on what I am shopping for.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:09 PM

90 posts, read 154,914 times
JC Penney, especially for their Worthington slacks and 6pm.com for ankle boots. Target for other items. I used to do Kohl's but the quality of the clothing has been bad lately,

Old 11-06-2016, 12:15 PM

26,876 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't get how people buy clothes online. I've never had good luck buying clothing online, and I buy everything online I can. The only exception is for an item I've tried on in the store first. I do this with my crazy expensive running shoes. I'll try them on in the store, find the right fit in the right size, then buy the identical shoe online for less. But everything else I buy in person. There's no way for me to know if it fits right or will look good on me otherwise, and I've done too many returns due to improper fit/ugliness. I am no size 3 5'10" model, so the individuals wearing the clothing they want me to purchase are not representative of me in any way, shape, or form.
I don't love buying online but one of my fave online stores to purchase from is ASOS. Their house brand runs true to size. And even better? They have packaging that makes returns a breeze. They use a shopping bag that can be resealed if you open properly with a built in sticker. They have free return shipping with a prepaid label. And even though they are based in the UK, return shipping is free and you can deliver to the post office. And they process your refund quickly. I get stuff there a few times a year and is always the stuff that draws the most raves! But I mostly shop there because it is the most painless online retailer that doesn't have stores here.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:41 AM

4,632 posts, read 7,195,895 times
Fast forward to 2018, and now it seems like I buy most of my clothes from Amazon. I still buy a bit from JCPenney, and more from Kohl's than I did in 2016, but now I rarely buy from Macy's. I don't buy much from Belk either since they don't seem to have the best prices very often.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:38 PM

342 posts, read 77,235 times
I don't buy Made in China when I can avoid it, so do very little clothes shopping on-line. I want to read the labels. I do buy from Amour Vert, since so much of their things are made in the USA (and they let you know), and from Chico's brick and mortar stores. Sandals are from BIrkenstock and I probably have enough dress shoes to last the rest of my life (I'm 65) from Thierry Rabotin, made in Italy. Bought them during my working years, rarely get that dressed up anymore.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:43 PM

4,632 posts, read 7,195,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I don't buy Made in China when I can avoid it, so do very little clothes shopping on-line. I want to read the labels. I do buy from Amour Vert, since so much of their things are made in the USA (and they let you know), and from Chico's brick and mortar stores. Sandals are from BIrkenstock and I probably have enough dress shoes to last the rest of my life (I'm 65) from Thierry Rabotin, made in Italy. Bought them during my working years, rarely get that dressed up anymore.
Even Made in China is becoming less common among clothing; becoming more common now are countries such as Bangladesh, India, Vietnam, Indonesia, Cambodia, Pakistan, and parts of Africa and Latin America.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:24 PM

2,960 posts, read 4,690,437 times
The last few years, most of my buying has been from:

Bonobos
All Saints
Taylor Stitch
Billy Reid

-Cheapo purchases made at H&M & Zara (workout tees or super basic sweatshirts etc.)
-Frye for boots
-Occasional seasonal purchase made at BR or JCrew on clearance
-A few other one-off purchases made at other small boutique, MTO, or Made in USA places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or