U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 07:49 AM

4,103 posts, read 3,444,432 times

Advertisements

I'd wear jeans with boots/booties & a navy cashmere turtleneck and a statement piece of jewelry...probably a bracelet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 08:48 AM

9,340 posts, read 8,732,469 times
OP: Realizing you want to look nice and feel comfy since the temp will be low. . . just remember this: people will always remember how you made them feel, but they will not remember what you wore.

Just choose something you like and have a good time celebrating their wedding day.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:06 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,809,321 times
Lots of great input on this thread! Thanks so much, y'all! I was kind of clueless by what she meant by "backyard chic."

The wedding is in Nashville, Tennessee. I'm thinking it's going to be pretty cool but not freezing cold or anything. I don't think I'll be comfortable in bare legs...and on top of that, my legs are pretty pale right now, so I don't mind covering them up with tights anyway. She told my husband that khakis and a nice button-down shirt would be fine, so I think I might feel a little underdressed in denim.

So, I'm thinking a nice sweater dress with tights and boots or booties.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:10 AM

16,467 posts, read 15,905,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Lots of great input on this thread! Thanks so much, y'all! I was kind of clueless by what she meant by "backyard chic."

The wedding is in Nashville, Tennessee. I'm thinking it's going to be pretty cool but not freezing cold or anything. I don't think I'll be comfortable in bare legs...and on top of that, my legs are pretty pale right now, so I don't mind covering them up with tights anyway. She told my husband that khakis and a nice button-down shirt would be fine, so I think I might feel a little underdressed in denim.

So, I'm thinking a nice sweater dress with tights and boots or booties.
That sounds nice to me. Be sure to have an extra wrap or shawl or something available to put on if it does get too cold.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:59 PM

485 posts, read 234,609 times
If I am afraid of cold..
Even a nice sweater or coat (W/wo a great scarf) over maxi skirts n cowboy boots will do a country autumn wedding trick.

20 Style Tips On How To Wear Maxi Skirts In Winter Outfit Ideas | Gurl.com

No heels.. go for boots!!!

Old 11-08-2016, 03:57 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,311,331 times
I went to a backyard wedding last year in October. I wore a sweater dress with tight leggings and boots. The wedding was outside and the reception was in a tent. It did get quite cool out, but they also had heaters. Maybe wear or bring a nicer coat.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:29 AM

3,200 posts, read 1,483,983 times
Long skirt, sweater, denim jacket, boots, scarf

Old 11-09-2016, 09:20 AM

72,634 posts, read 64,111,757 times
I wouldn't wear a dress in those temps. And certainly not heels in a back yard. Back yard means relatively casual. Pants with a dressy tunic, and tunic-length sweater or jacket.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:50 AM

5,119 posts, read 3,633,578 times
Like Ruth, I say NO dress. With the temps the OP quoted, I'd be frozen by later in the day.

A nice pair of pants (tights or not) along with a nice blouse and a blazer or a dressy tunic would be my choice. No high heels either, they sink into the ground if you're walking on grass.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:04 PM

8,139 posts, read 7,463,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Well, my sister-in-law is getting married. The wedding is a last-minute backyard wedding in the groom-to-be's backyard, so I only have about a week to figure out and buy something to wear. I asked her how dressy or casual it's going to be, and she said it's going to be "backyard chic," whatever that means. The temperatures are slated to be 39 (low) to 56 (high) that day, but the wedding is at noon, so I'm guessing it will be toward the higher end of that. What to wear?
Anything from Anthropoligie https://www.anthropologie.com/dresses Free People https://www.freepeople.com/dresses/ or Zara ZARA Official Website

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The adjective, chic, must mean something several cuts above denim, I think. So, a short dressy dress and a Pashmina shawl? Bare legs unless it is quite cool. If cool, I'd wear pantyhose and a knock out jacket.

People still wear pantyhose? I wouldn't even know where to buy them any longer.

I think for 'Backyard Chic' tights are totally in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or