U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 07:38 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,356,692 times

Advertisements

I don't know about the rest of you, but when the heck did knock offs/ fakes of brand name items gets so good.

I am a jewellery freak and my latest impulse purchases have been Pandora jewellery. I have a crazy amount of the charms. I am not good at self control regarding buying things like this once I am on a roll so I started to buy charms from ebay and kijiji ( re-sale) because you can really get even authentic stuff at huge mark downs because some people especially people who get this stuff as gifts ( especially if it is from an ex) are more then happy to accept 25% or less of what is retails for.

I did my home work on how to tell the fakes vs the real stuff... but darn it is getting hard. I have enough of this stuff and shop at the store enough to really know how to look for details... but wow there are some really amazing fakes out there. For example I recently purchase a bracelet from ebay. It was suppose to be silver with a 14 k gold clasp. I got it at a really good priced, which actually does not mean it is fake because I have got 100% authentic stuff at amazingly low prices too. When I got the item it ended up being a full 14k gold bracelet. I did not swallow a fist full of 4 leaf clovers today so there is like next to no way they accidently sent me a bracelet that retails around $2200 dollars vs the bracelet that retails around $400. I am just not that bloody luck !

I actually wanted the full 14 k gold bracelet ... but have we maintaining enough self control to wait. When I inspected the so called 14 k bracelet all the things that is was supposed to have where there ( the correct markings and all the other features. Even tried the magnet test and it passed. It just does not seem right still.

So here is the debate. Do I keep a really really really great likely fake of a bracelet that retails for over $2200 rather then saving up to buy the real thing? I paid $140 for the likely fake, but I have someone willing to sell the real thing for $700 ( her ex gave it for her so the seller is willing to let it go for a lot less).

The only person who will really know is me. It seriously looks like the real thing. I am tempted to take it in to the real store tomorrow just to at least learn the truth.

So the bigger question is how much does the authenticity really matter if it looks like the real things? Do you or would you wear a good knock off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 11:09 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
It is hard to say. I am fine getting inspired by items. For example I got some shoes inspired by Valentino's Rock Studs. The shoes I got are a flat (which were only a recent addition). And i don't like to pay lots of really trendy items. So I wouldn't get the real thing, and mine aren't trying to fool anyone.

When I was younger I got a fake-o Kelly inspired bag. It was horrible and I didn't get a cheap bag again.

Now I would rather just get something else than get the knock off. After hearing about how money launderers and human traffics use knock offs to make money. I didn't want to support that.

The stuff I like has a low likelihood of getting knocked off. I don't like chain jewelry much. Maybe I haven't found a good brans, but I just hunt down indie jewelry.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:51 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,716,950 times
I've never really cared about the BRAND....I just want to like and enjoy what I buy and use! I think worrying about if it's "designer" is ridiculous !

Old 11-12-2016, 09:49 PM

OMG .... I AM NEVER buying stuff on ebay again. Bought a bunch of Pandora Charms and took it in to Pandora and the manager and assistant manager helped me filter out the fakes. They were even impressed at how good some of the fakes where. Luckily there is a pretty fair chance I will get my money back with ebays help. I think I will stick to Kijiji/ craiglist and avoid the Hassel of ebay. At least if someone tries to sell me a fake in person I can tell them off to their face.

What a waste of time .....

But I did get a great lesson on how to detects fakes. Not that easy indeed.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:45 AM

2,724 posts, read 3,690,142 times
I have bought some Louis Vuitton on Ebay and a couple time , they were fakes, very good fakes. I really educated myself what to look for and that helped me in future purchases. I have gotten some good deals of authentic pieces on Ebay. I would rather have something else rather than a fake. I would be nervous about jewelry sight unseen in person.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:16 PM

11,818 posts, read 7,695,291 times
Technology has improved so much today that a lot of knockoff stuff is made the same way as premium stuff as many premium brands are cutting corners on their stuff which marginalizes their quality.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:43 AM

Default !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Technology has improved so much today that a lot of knockoff stuff is made the same way as premium stuff as many premium brands are cutting corners on their stuff which marginalizes their quality.

I know. It was actually really funny watching the Manager and Assitant Store Manager compare the charms I brought in to the ones the store was selling. They did not seem more confident then me. Just because I am insance I accidently bid on a few lots and items from e-bay from 3 different people and ened up with 3 of the same charm. The charm retails for around $100 with tax each (Canadian). When I looked at the 3 charms only 1 of 3 looks different. 2 look crazy fake and 1 I am not certain about. I am going to take them in to another store.

Honestly I am never buying anything on e-bay again. It takes too long to get delivered and the majority of the charms I bought ended up being knock offs and I now wasting time trying to get refunds. I went this route to save time ... but it is actually taking more time. Total waste of time, but I learned my lesson.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:49 PM

Okay wanted to share this update ....
So apparently ebay actually takes being selling fake things seriously because they made the sellers offering me a full refund. The refund process was not as stressful as I expected. I did have to ship back 2 items... , but the rest were refunded pretty promptly.

But the catch is I have been told I need to destroy the fake merchandise ... they are silver shaped objects ( at least it was supposed to be silver)... I guess I will have to stop by Mordor to throw the charms in the fire pit thing... because the Charms MUST be Destroyed!

Long story short .. I got my money back ( yeah ME) and the fools selling fakes lost their money and their fake goods ( in your face scammers )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or