U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 03:11 PM

26,864 posts, read 28,137,614 times

Advertisements

It seems like all clothing at every price point is so thin these days. I just finished reading this book: Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion.

Super interesting book about how we moved to fast fashion and how far construction quality has gone downhill.

I have been looking for a cream button down shirt with nice drape for the past couple of years now. I didn’t think I was being ridiculous. I want a soft material with nice drape. My mom had an awesome silk shirt when I was a kid, I would have taken that one, but it is long gone and probably wouldn’t fit anyway.

Every time I find a shirt in the right color, it is so thin you can tell the pattern and fabrication of my bra! I see people walking around in white shirts that are 2 steps above sheer - whether t-shirts or button downs. These thin fabrics are so unflattering too! You can make out people’s belly buttons. It is so weird! And even for pricier brands, you still have thin fabric.

This is the case for t-shirts, button downs, dresses, pants and even jeans! I reject so many things because the fabric is terrible. Thicker fabric is much more flattering for everyone!

What happened to normal weight clothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 06:01 PM

1,040 posts, read 814,401 times
I think it's just a fad.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:20 PM

34,525 posts, read 42,694,765 times
I have had this happen too. I have a cotton knit shirt from JJill...comfortable, loose, and flattering. The first one I got, I stuck my finger through the fabric putting it on. The replacement got pinholes in it the first time I washed it. I had this trouble with another store also, I forget the name, which got most of its products from India. Cheap construction, but not price.

We just need to buy American when possible, or at least be very vigilant about materials.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:36 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,713,147 times
Yes...stuff is MUCH thinner and cheaper than the price would show......I simply won't buy brands (even if I used to use them), when they are of crappy quality.
We older folks need more than tissue paper thin fabrics....we don't want our folds and bulges showing under that thin, cheap fabric. Do NOT give them your money for this awful stuff! Very simple. 2 seasons of no major sales, and they will "upgrade" their offerings. The power of the pocketbook is awesome! Also..WRITE the company...COMPLAIN! Tell them you liked their clothes, but now, you don't....let them KNOW why you aren't buying their product!

Old 11-14-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have had this happen too. I have a cotton knit shirt from JJill...comfortable, loose, and flattering. The first one I got, I stuck my finger through the fabric putting it on. The replacement got pinholes in it the first time I washed it. I had this trouble with another store also, I forget the name, which got most of its products from India. Cheap construction, but not price.

We just need to buy American when possible, or at least be very vigilant about materials.
I have lost so many shirts in recent years to pin holes. It is crazy. My favorite t-shirts all have holes after a couple of months. Meanwhile t-shirts I got 20 years ago are still hanging on with no holes. This makes absolutely no sense!

And these days you can't even buy something with buttons that don't pop off immediately. Every coat I have purchased needs to get the buttons resown before wearing!

Old 11-14-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
We older folks need more than tissue paper thin fabrics....we don't want our folds and bulges showing under that thin, cheap fabric.
I think this is true for everyone, of all ages!

Old 11-14-2016, 06:42 PM

3,785 posts, read 8,760,113 times
I completely agree. The quality of the material, the patterns, the drape of the fabric, everything is just so inferior to what it used to be. I'm willing to spend more for higher quality clothing---I'm just having trouble finding it.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:01 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,387,402 times
Everything is made so cheap anymore. Ticks me off.

A few years ago, I was looking for something decent to wear in the business class section of Delta. Something comfortable to sleep in and not get wrinkled. Something I could wear on the cruise ship.
I tried this outfit on. It looked good, was comfortable, fabric was not cheap. I asked the sales lady to tell me the price.

She said the top was $495.00 and the pants were $595.00! I said you have got to be kidding!! She said no I'm not and I'm getting a lot of complaints about the pricing. I don't remember the brand, know a lot of them. I think this one went under.

Went to Chico's and found what I was looking for.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:03 PM

5,808 posts, read 3,295,904 times
Most of the fabric for sewing is also poor quality now and SHRINKS bigtime. You have to wash and dry it in the dryer before even cutting most of the cottons now.

I've gotten some very nice shirts for my husband at Penny's online (St. John's Bay), but haven't tried the T shirts yet. For women's, I got some nice summer pants from Macy's online. But it's a real challenge to find anything of quality, and I have to send a LOT of stuff back. Target and Kohl's are pure junk now, much worse than 10 years ago.

I've started buying sweaters from Ireland online, and some clothing from Scandinavian online sites. Both are high quality.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:14 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Every time I find a shirt in the right color, it is so thin you can tell the pattern and fabrication of my bra!
Just don't wear a bra then. Problem solved!

Just kidding. I have always thought women's clothing is made from far chintzier material than men's. I pick up my gf's t shirt, and though it is obviously smaller than my own, nevertheless, for its size it feels like nothing is there. Like I could easily wad it up and put it in my pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or