U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 11:22 AM

17,918 posts, read 9,854,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Best answer so far--1st sentence. This is what I GUESSED about men's opinions towards nails.
Of course, everyone does what they want but I have never bothered with it, though I'm probably in the minority. Manicures seem like a waste of time and money for me. I keep mine clean and let them grow until it interferes with typing. Nails don't interest me except for scratching or picking something up which is when I wonder---how would one DO this without nails?

What I find psychologically interesting is all the women not taking care of themselves otherwise, yet sport manicured painted nails. Do they think the latter offsets the former?
I've talked to a couple of women for whom the condition of a man's nails were first-sight litmus test items.

I don't think there are many men who think that way (hard for me to imagine) unless the woman's nails were noticeably grundgy.

But it's all part of the package. If you ask me what I think of a particular woman's nails, I'll have an opinion. If I'm otherwise interested in a woman, at some point I'll notice her nails as I'd eventually notice everything else.

But it's not generally going to be a dealbreaker, unless they're obnoxious. And I include super-long, curly nails as "obnoxious."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 01:03 PM

1,335 posts, read 799,314 times
My wife is really excellent at doing nails, both natural and acrylic, so I guess from being married to her over time I have found myself more and more attracted to a nice set of nails. She used to do acrylics all the time but then having kids and so forth, you just don't have the time, so now she goes back and forth between that and just painting, etc., her natural nails. I have nothing against natural nails or shorter nails, it's easier and quicker and she can paint them to match whatever she's wearing that day pretty quickly, which is fun.

With acrylics, if you're going to go with colors/patterns/etc. you better have your outfits for the next couple weeks picked out because you're stuck with that color for a while. So for fake nails I do prefer a traditional flesh/white color scheme. I guess my favorite would be French tips. They don't have to be too long to look nice really, although I don't mind them on the long side either. I do think longer nails, especially if acrylic, can potentially convey more of a sexy vibe than shorter nails, so that could be either good or bad depending on the occasion. (That reminds me of the Anjelah Johnson joke about where the nail tech is asking her if she has a boyfriend, she says no, and the the nail tech asks her if she wants long or short nails, and she says short nails please, and the nail tech says, that's why no boyfriend.)

I do really dislike some of the more unusual shapes, e.g. coffin nails or the point/vampire nails. I don't get it but I guess people just do it for the variety.

If you have naturally beautiful, healthy nails then maybe just a gloss coat or leaving them unvarnished would work well; if your nails are thin or ridgy or whatever, you can just paint them whatever matching color you feel like.

I guess my TL;DR would be, yes, I notice girls' nails, and find nice nails attractive. But it's not the sort of thing I've ever heard another man mention as something he noticed or liked about a girl, so I guess it's kind of a minor thing or not a thing at all for most men. I think most women who are into nails do it for themselves anyway, rather than because they think most guys actually appreciate their nail art.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:15 PM

3,928 posts, read 3,547,266 times
I don't think about it, just about every woman I know has knubbins, anyway. They usually have something to say about my long nails, though.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:25 PM

13,395 posts, read 42,750,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Now that I know there's a few men on here, let me ask:

Do you find long painted nails attractive? As in, "I really like her and her nails add to that attractiveness factor".

Or do nails not matter as long as they are clean, not bitten, etc.

Maybe you don't even notice them?
They can be. Nails so long that she can't really use her hands are a bit off-putting for a serious relationship, where we will be doing "stuff" together (cook, work on house, work on car, etc.)

To me a woman's physical attractiveness is largely tied up in face (not makeup, although makeup can help to an extent if not over-done) hair, (longer is better) figure (can be anything from 12-year old boy type to quite curvy, although the BBW thing needs to not be over-done). Clothes, shoes, other stuff that most women pay a lot of attention to, is way secondary *to me*.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:03 PM

5,139 posts, read 3,644,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
As a former nail biter....I admire long nails on lady. Polished and manicured. (and Yes I'm a lady. )

Barbra Streisand has beautiful hands and she has long nails. Like most things...its how well you tend to them.

[QUOTE]My nails are nearing the two inch mark
and not one gentleman has been anything less then complimentary.
Ladies often compliment likewise. My nails are well kept thank you very much. ...
I earned the right to grow them ...and paint them ...or not [/quote]

This makes me wonder a few things:

How you wipe your tush? I would think a Bidet would be the only solution LOL

How do you pick up a dime if you drop it on the floor?

How do you type on a keypad?

I certainly don't wonder how you scratch an itch LOL

Old 11-17-2016, 07:03 PM

2,983 posts, read 2,399,742 times
For me, it's not really something I even notice. I'd be in the clean and normal looking camp, indifferent to whether they are colored or not. The really long ones look cheesy though.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:04 PM

5,139 posts, read 3,644,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
As a former nail biter....I admire long nails on lady. Polished and manicured. (and Yes I'm a lady. )

Barbra Streisand has beautiful hands and she has long nails. Like most things...its how well you tend to them.

My nails are nearing the two inch mark and not one gentleman has been anything less then complimentary.
Ladies often compliment likewise. My nails are well kept thank you very much. ...
I earned the right to grow them ...and paint them ...or not
This makes me wonder a few things:

How you wipe your tush? I would think a Bidet would be the only solution LOL

How do you pick up a dime if you drop it on the floor?

How do you type on a keypad?

I certainly don't wonder how you scratch an itch LOL

Old 11-17-2016, 07:16 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,113,068 times
No. I don't like them at all. They look cheap.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:25 PM

18,718 posts, read 4,707,856 times
As a woman and former nail biter I admired other women with fairly long nails...but when I quit
nail biting I realized I hated the feeling of anything getting under the nails so I keep them short,
and use only clear polish.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:56 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,369,488 times
Man here. Don't care for long nails. I do like colored nails, or just natural nails as long as they are clean/well kept. But long, fancy, manicured nails do nothing for me. In fact, fancy/gaudy nails are a turn-off, especially the pointy kind that seems to be trendy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or