U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2016, 12:07 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,124,903 times

Advertisements

Much of the low-to-mid-range womenswear seems made to fit women who have curves (or, in some cases, accentuate minimal curves). I believe that to do that effectively and cheaply, it's much easier to use thin, stretchy fabrics.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 12:55 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,124,903 times
Also, I think there are more high-end, quality options for men because the male mind lends itself to obsessiveness about technical details.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:56 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,631,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Pretty much every damn time I have even looked at one, in the last few years. I absolutely HATE that most ladies tops are made of such sheer fabric these days. I just won't buy something that I have to wear a second top under, to keep my bra from showing. It's ridiculous.
I know you must know this already, but your bra won't show if it matches your skin tone. Most men's dress shirts would be way too thin to hide a colored or bright white brassiere as well.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:40 PM

72,932 posts, read 64,373,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I know you must know this already, but your bra won't show if it matches your skin tone. Most men's dress shirts would be way too thin to hide a colored or bright white brassiere as well.
What the discussion is about, in my understanding, is fabrics the last couple of years, that are so sheer, the bra shows even if it does match the skin tone. Vendors of such fashion tend to recommend buying a camisole to wear underneath.

There was a fad in Europe in the 90's for women's pants that were very sheer! It never made it to the US, that I'm aware of. Strange phenomenon; I don't think it lasted very long in Europe, either. I saw it in Russia.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:42 PM

26,896 posts, read 28,206,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Not with many of today's clothing. It is so sheer it doesn't matter if you wear a t-shirt bra and it matches your skin tone.

Finding a bra that matches your skin tone is a topic for another thread.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:27 PM

11,836 posts, read 7,728,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrev View Post
To the women who wear men's clothes I must ask you HOW?????

I would love to wear men's clothung but it's sooo unflattering. I don't care about fashion or trends, but I do like to show off my curves. To get men's jeans thay fit my butt and thighs they'd be huge everywhere else. I have to have the waist taken in on all my pants as it is.

Never mind the boobs....I can't get a ladies dress shirt to button over the boobs without it being 3 sizes to big everywhere else! I am 38 28 39 so fairly standard measurements!
Sweat shirts and pants are fairly unisex and can conform to any body shape.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:43 PM

1,173 posts, read 733,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
In another recent thread, one user brought up the statement that men's clothing is generally better quality than women's clothing.

While I don't have any say in this because I am not a woman, I would like to hear some opinions on whether or not there is any truth to this statement. If so, for what particular reason why would women's clothing be of inferior quality?
Women's fashion is designed to be worn briefly ( a season or two) then discarded. Quality is not profitable nor even necessary on some level.

I've noticed too that some brands I used to buy as a teen/college student that lasted are now crap.

The only "up" side I can say after 20 years of buying my own clothes - the prices are still about the same. I bought a pair of thin Old Navy jeans the other day for $19. (they are advertised as jeans but well, I think the seam will split before too long). I'm pretty sure in high school I spent around the same amount (but it took them 10 years to fall apart and the thickness of the denim was meaty).

Old 11-18-2016, 02:57 PM

72,932 posts, read 64,373,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post

The only "up" side I can say after 20 years of buying my own clothes - the prices are still about the same. I bought a pair of thin Old Navy jeans the other day for $19. (they are advertised as jeans but well, I think the seam will split before too long). I'm pretty sure in high school I spent around the same amount (but it took them 10 years to fall apart and the thickness of the denim was meaty).
This is interesting. AFAIK, only Macy's sells decent-quality jeans at a reasonable price: around $25, their in-house brand. The price of women's jeans has inflated insanely over the decades, and it's not just because of designer labels; it's regular labels that are of a good quality. I have no idea if men's jeans have seen a similar jump in pricing. But I know that in Europe, men's "fashion" jeans were a thing way back in the 80's and earlier, and they sold for quite a pretty penny. Those have never caught on in the US, so the markets for men's vs. women's jeans aren't really comparable in the US.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:12 PM

9,138 posts, read 3,952,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not with many of today's clothing. It is so sheer it doesn't matter if you wear a t-shirt bra and it matches your skin tone.

Finding a bra that matches your skin tone is a topic for another thread.

Just please don't anybody start another thread on how often a bra should be washed!

Old 11-18-2016, 03:19 PM

21,501 posts, read 22,756,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Sweat shirts and pants are fairly unisex and can conform to any body shape.
Maybe, but then you have to be okay with being seen in public wearing a sweatsuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or