U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 02:45 PM

983 posts, read 396,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrev View Post
To the women who wear men's clothes I must ask you HOW?????

I would love to wear men's clothung but it's sooo unflattering. I don't care about fashion or trends, but I do like to show off my curves.

I think someone else already mentioned this, but men's clothing really only works for women who are shaped more like... men. i.e. not curvy or hourglass.

I would explore wearing men's clothing where possible, but I have a J-lo booty and I really need shirts to be nipped in at the waist to be flattering on me, otherwise I look bulbous. I've actually reached a point where I won't wear a unisex (e.g. men's) t-shirt, like the kind you might get for a charity event or marathon. I really only look good in t-shirts that are specifically made for women, i.e. slimmer at the waist and then let out again in the hips. WWE Shop Zone ladies' t-shirts fit the bill, good thing I'm a fan.

And same thing for women's clothes - if the top just hangs straight down from the bust to the bottom hem, or even worse flares out like a triangle, it's a no-go. That just adds lots of extra inches to the waist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 05:05 PM

3,454 posts, read 1,694,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
Women's fashion is designed to be worn briefly ( a season or two) then discarded. Quality is not profitable nor even necessary on some level.

I've noticed too that some brands I used to buy as a teen/college student that lasted are now crap.

The only "up" side I can say after 20 years of buying my own clothes - the prices are still about the same. I bought a pair of thin Old Navy jeans the other day for $19. (they are advertised as jeans but well, I think the seam will split before too long). I'm pretty sure in high school I spent around the same amount (but it took them 10 years to fall apart and the thickness of the denim was meaty).
Most clothes are made to be worn briefly and discarded. Quality (and associated durability) is expensive, and most customers are not willing to pay for it. Probably 98% of clothing sold uses the cheapest passable (meaning cheapest materials that can be sold for the label) materials, the fastest possible construction (and attendant lower durability), and the result is that the clothing breaks down. It fades, loses elasticity, threads come loose, etc. Better quality materials and construction last much longer, but they have a higher cost, too.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:19 PM

983 posts, read 695,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Maybe, but then you have to be okay with being seen in public wearing a sweatsuit.
What's wrong with wearing sweats in public?

It probably depends on where you are. In Seattle/the nicer suburbs I probably wouldnt wear sweats to the grocery store. But in rural Western Washington, sweats are perfectly fine.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:15 AM

13,349 posts, read 7,121,412 times
Yes - most women's clothing is shoddier - maybe because the expectation is that women won't wear them long and will be on to the next trend so they'll never notice that they would have worn out! But I try to buy quality clothing that I can wear for a decade and usually succeed - especially buying "classic" brands at thrift shops.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:28 AM

4,236 posts, read 3,028,074 times
Men's clothing has always been made with thicker, more durable fabrics and more robust construction because men are rougher on their clothes than women are on theirs. Women's clothing has always been less sturdy than men's.

However, it's only lately that women's clothing is made to barely withstand a couple of washings before it starts to fall apart--due to cheap fabric weaves, poor construction and stitching, cheap dyes, etc.

Lower-end women's clothing, especially, seems to be made to wear out quickly so they have to be frequently replaced with the next new style. Part of that may be a result of the shorter fashion cycles. Many years ago, styles would be fashionable for much longer, so the fabrics and construction were better in order to withstand more wear and cleaning. Now,...it seems like the faster they unravel, tear, and fade, the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or