U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 09:18 AM

4,625 posts, read 7,188,861 times

Advertisements

In another recent thread, one user brought up the statement that men's clothing is generally better quality than women's clothing.

While I don't have any say in this because I am not a woman, I would like to hear some opinions on whether or not there is any truth to this statement. If so, for what particular reason why would women's clothing be of inferior quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 09:36 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
For the most part, mens clothing is better quality.
Better fabrics, better cuts, better finishes.

Since you mentioned the other thread... when was the last time YOU tried a shirt on and decided not to buy it as the fabric was so sheer?

Old 11-17-2016, 10:04 AM

72,657 posts, read 64,111,757 times
It's been known for generations that men's jeans are sturdier. Women more interested in value than fashion have always preferred men's jeans. And although there are plenty of women's shirts that are of good, strong fabric, they cost much more than men's shirts.

It's all about fashion, OP; I think the fashion industry believes that trendy items will only be worn for a season or a year or two at the most, so they don't worry about quality. OTOH, the high-quality items are priced much higher than equal quality on the men's side. The justification for the higher pricing may be that more design goes into the items, and design changes subtly from year to year, or every couple of years even on basic staples like shirts for the office. When was the last time you noticed a design change in men's shirts? The collar may change slightly once a decade or so, and that's about it.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
For the most part, mens clothing is better quality.
Better fabrics, better cuts, better finishes.

Since you mentioned the other thread... when was the last time YOU tried a shirt on and decided not to buy it as the fabric was so sheer?
Well, I usually don't buy clothing from stores such as Walmart or Target except for basic things like T-shirts, socks, and underwear. My more typical clothing is from stores such as JCPenney or Macy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's been known for generations that men's jeans are sturdier. Women more interested in value than fashion have always preferred men's jeans. And although there are plenty of women's shirts that are of good, strong fabric, they cost much more than men's shirts.

It's all about fashion, OP; I think the fashion industry believes that trendy items will only be worn for a season or a year or two at the most, so they don't worry about quality. OTOH, the high-quality items are priced much higher than equal quality on the men's side. The justification for the higher pricing may be that more design goes into the items, and design changes subtly from year to year, or every couple of years even on basic staples like shirts for the office. When was the last time you noticed a design change in men's shirts? The collar may change slightly once a decade or so, and that's about it.
Speaking of the fashion industry, it seems that entirely new collections are generally introduced on a two season cycle (Spring and Fall), with Summer and Winter generally being extensions of the former two, respectively. Typically the warm weather clothing will be introduced in the Spring collections, while the cold weather clothing will be introduced in the Fall collections. During the mid-cycle refresh for Summer, you might see clothing companies add a few more items that are more lightweight for the hottest days while keeping the existing Spring collection, while the Winter mid-cycle refresh might add a few more heavyweight items for the coldest days while keeping the existing Fall collection.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Well, I usually don't buy clothing from stores such as Walmart or Target except for basic things like T-shirts, socks, and underwear. My more typical clothing is from stores such as JCPenney or Macy's.
???
The question was not about WalMart, Target, or even Macy's.
It is about the quality of clothes.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
???
The question was not about WalMart, Target, or even Macy's.
It is about the quality of clothes.
That is exactly why I don't buy most clothing from Walmart/Target; I don't trust the quality. For shirts I personally think IZOD provides the best balance between quality and price. For jeans I have had good luck with Arizona.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:38 AM

12,627 posts, read 12,065,272 times
Women have a much larger variety of clothes available, so there is a possibility of many items being less quality than men's overall.

But take the same exact brand, I do not find this to be the case in my experience. For example, my J-crew stuff is the same quality as my wife's. I have a cheap Target t-shirt, and it seems to be the same as quality as a few of my wife's shirts from there, even though mine is normal cotton and her's is pima cotton.

With shoes, she has many different brands than I do, but we both have a pair of Cole Haans, and mine have held up way longer than her's have. But our Nike and Asics running shoes have held up the same given the use. Her Aldo shoes last longer than both of mine did (I stopped buying Aldo, they self destructed in a short time).

I think it is a mixed bag, but due to women having such a large variety versus men, there is more likely a larger number of cheaper made clothing, especially those place like Forever21. Women also in general like thinner fabric and a variety of designs, which create weak points in the clothing, exposing them to quality issues.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:39 AM

Again, your question was not about where womens clothing is purchased, but about the quality.
Macys and Penneys has horrid womens clothing also.

Okay... I bow out. You aren't getting it!

Old 11-17-2016, 11:01 AM

72,657 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
That is exactly why I don't buy most clothing from Walmart/Target; I don't trust the quality. For shirts I personally think IZOD provides the best balance between quality and price. For jeans I have had good luck with Arizona.
IZOD for women is overpriced, as it's considered a designer label. The same quality polo shirts can be had for much cheaper from LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, and other purveyors of recreational clothing and hiking gear.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:07 AM

7,961 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Quote:
Again, your question was not about where womens clothing is purchased, but about the quality.
Macys and Penneys has horrid womens clothing also.

Okay... I bow out. You aren't getting it!
I'm laughing the JC Penney is apparently better quality than WalMart and Target? Not by much, if at all. Macys at least has some variation ... there are some low budget lines as well as designer lines. But yeah, I've bought crap at Macys in the past. I'm much more selective now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or