U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 01:00 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,493,596 times

Advertisements

I used the L'eggs egg brand: We weren't allowed to eat in our rooms and one day my older sister needed to borrow a pair of mine. She loved telling the story of how she opened the egg, and found a Hostess Ding Dong inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 01:53 PM

10,231 posts, read 14,087,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
It's because women have switched to tights/leggings/spanx instead. All of these options are much more durable and more comfortable than pantyhose. I could get maybe one or two wearings from a pair of pantyhose versus years worth of wear out of a pair of spanx tights. Not to mention pantyhose are incredibly uncomfortable to wear in a variety of ways and most clothing these days is going the way of comfort being more important than appearance.

Not to mention more and more offices are going casual with the dress code which means most women are wearing fewer dresses/skirts than they were say 20 years ago which would mean less need for pantyhose or something similar.

Yes, knee highs morphed into fashion under 'pants suits' and dress pants. Whoever now thinks that pantyhose are a pain in the butt should find a pair of stockings, especially the ones with the seams down the back of the leg. lol! In my 20's and probably 30's, I remember going into the posh stores 'downtown' to purchase stockings. The sales lady would show you a color by putting her perfectly manicured hand inside one of them. The seams were such a pain, but we were freed from those with the introduction of 'seamless stockings', and we had to have them, as many as possible in various colors.

Don't even get me started on girdles !!! Fodder for another thread.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:38 PM

2,602 posts, read 538,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

Don't even get me started on girdles !!! Fodder for another thread.
Actually, girdles don't seem nearly as bad as the newest travesty that celebrities are wearing/hawking: corsets aka waist trainers---they are causing real internal injuries!

I was thrilled when pantihose came out since I hated those garters (sitting on them wasn't fun), but quickly saw that pantihose wasn't much better---wouldn't stay up. I had to wear a pair on underpants on top of them to get them to stay up at all. And the colors, at least of the cheap stuff! That awful orangey suntan color! And "nude." Whose nude? Didn't match MY skin color!

Old 11-19-2016, 06:09 PM

6,085 posts, read 2,300,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Actually, girdles don't seem nearly as bad as the newest travesty that celebrities are wearing/hawking: corsets aka waist trainers---they are causing real internal injuries!

I was thrilled when pantihose came out since I hated those garters (sitting on them wasn't fun), but quickly saw that pantihose wasn't much better---wouldn't stay up. I had to wear a pair on underpants on top of them to get them to stay up at all. And the colors, at least of the cheap stuff! That awful orangey suntan color! And "nude." Whose nude? Didn't match MY skin color!
I think any kind of shapewear would be uncomfortable, and I don't get the point, women are pretending to have little waists and no underwear on, bc what if someone thought they could see lines and this meant the woman had panties on?! Oh maybe it's panties over their pantyhose, ok.

As far as color, that's another attempt at futility... 'hey this flesh colored material is almost the same color as my flesh, I think Ill wear a layer of flesh colored material over my flesh...oh wait, my real skin is closer to my real skin, so never mind...wait give those back to me, Im going to put somethin one so it looks like I have nothing on."

Glad I'm nuts and don't have these dilemas

Old 11-19-2016, 09:12 PM

5,131 posts, read 3,642,102 times
If it's winter and I have to wear a dress, I'll wear pantyhose but I hate them with a passion.

You have to just about jump up and down to get the crotch high enough and even then it doesn't stay where it should, I could scratch my legs off they are so itchy, and the waist band rolls down when you sit down.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:20 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,814,974 times
I prefer the look of pantyhose. I rarely get to dress up, but when I do want a finished look. I see women who are dressed up at fancier events who aren't wearing pantyhose. It doesn't look right to me.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:22 PM

10,131 posts, read 16,726,121 times
We just said no.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:32 PM

26,877 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Wearing panty hose reminds me of going to church as a kid. It was required. Ans my mom made me wear through about 10th grade any time I put a skirt/dress on. Eventually she relented, but not for church.

Now? No comment from mom. I only put on tights when it is chilly. Or if a dress is a smidge short. And in the fall/winter when I am being in a dress that has movement.

I do think some clothing does look a lot better with hose.

As for comfort? I generally don't have a problem unless it doesn't fit. I always get the largest size that will fit and don't have problems with things falling down. I do find you have t be more careful, and trips to the loo are slower. . It also helps to pay attention to wear the hose lands.

This time of year it feels especially fun to put on a dress, hose and some boots!

Old 11-20-2016, 12:47 AM

4,087 posts, read 5,502,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I saw another thread about pantyhose, but I'm not trying to get opinions on good or bad re pantyhose. I am just curious whatever happened to such a wardrobe staple? It seemed to happen so quick!
And for those who work in offices, aren't the fashionable heels you wear uncomfortable on bare feet?

Tights are another story, but when/why did plain ole pantyhose disappear from the scene?
They've been gone about 15 years and in fact are now making a comeback, so you've missed the whole trend, LOL! I don't remember any official pronouncement, just that I started noticing women wearing open-toed shoes to work and the fashion mags all showed women with bare, tanned, gleaming legs. Pantyhose became passe, ESPECIALLY the suntan color. I remember being at a wedding in 2007 and one of my cousins had pantyhose on. One of the younger cousins told her pantyhose were "out" and she was quite surprised!

So black tights have been in for awhile, but in the past few years I've started noticing celebs wearing nude pantyhose on the talk shows. I, for one, am glad -- they hide a multitude of sins, especially at my age! And I DO remember girdles with garters, and the first pantyhose that came out weren't very stretchy and they'd end up sagging around your ankles.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:32 AM

39,362 posts, read 14,435,507 times
I still wear panty hose when I wear skirts or dresses. In the past several years, though, it's been more and more difficult to find sheer panty hose in the stores. I must be in a very small minority. A few months ago I found some good panty hose in a store and bought two pairs. They ought to last me for at least a year.

There used to be entire aisles at department stores with numerous brands of panty hose, and now they're all but impossible to find.

For decades, I loved wearing L'eggs. They fit me well, were comfortable and made my legs look a not nicer than they did bare. As another poster said, they can mask a lot of imperfections. At my age, I need all the help I can get!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty