U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 09:56 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,727,098 times

Advertisements

Gosh, I haven't worn pantyhose in over 20 years. I don't miss them, either. The skin tones were always too light or too dark, and there would be a snag or a run within one or two uses. I am glad that they are no longer a prerequisite for office wear. I wear dress pants or long skirts, so there is no need. And I wear flats with low-profile socks, like Peds, only thicker (sorry I don't know the correct name). That prevents my feet from hurting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 12:16 PM

8,211 posts, read 7,507,616 times
I was tortured with pantyhose in the late 1980s when I got my first corporate job and HAD to wear a suit and hose.

I kicked them to the curb in the early nineties and haven't worn them since.

I can't imagine a scenario where I'd ever wear them again.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:58 PM

6,951 posts, read 8,902,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I 100% hate pantyhose. I hated them as a kid, I hated them as a teen and I hate them as an adult. I am not really the most careful about where I lean and bump in to and living a life in fear of getting runs in your panty hoes is not for me. A as teen if I got a run ... I would make somemore to give it the punk rock effect ( ex ripped, but done on purpose)... as as adult I would not be taken well.

Hear here! Let's also remember the fact that when wearing many brand of pantyhose, the crotch is down around your knees because the maker economized by making the legs too short for anyone not built like a dachshund. Thigh-highs solve that problem nicely.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:46 PM

4,764 posts, read 7,555,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
Pantyhose aren't popular because the young crowd will tan and go bare legged. .
Yes, and I guess it's too hard to see all those lovely leg tattoos through a pair of pantyhose.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Then they are still alive and well.
LOL! Oh my gosh, you're right! Too funny.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:50 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,536,406 times
It's something that has always baffled me. Women slather makeup on their faces to look better, but don't realize that hosiery makes your legs look better. And, yes, I'm always seeing women's ugly red calloused patches from shoes worn with bare feet.

No idea why they got phased out fairly quickly.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
S
I remember what a big deal it was when the "built-in" panty thing came out. The first ones were called Underalls. I think that was in the late 70s. Now people don't wear panty hose OR panties .
Oh yeah, they were called Underalls, couldn't think of what they were called.

Funny post, especially the last line

Old 11-20-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
T But in my thin years, I loved them. Quite honestly, I think it has to do with comfort more than anything else. The average woman's size today is far larger than 25 or 50 years ago. And frankly, wearing pantyhose or even thigh highs is like putting a sausage in a casing, if you are fat. It's not comfortable, and it AIN'T pretty. But for certain functions, you cannot beat the look. And they definitely provide some warmth, in cooler weather.

To be fair, in my defense of pantyhose, I think you are on to something here. When I was wearing hose in the 1970's and 1980's, I too was in my "thin" years. I probably weight 125 tops until I hit about 30. By that time, I now longer had a job that required dressing up much. Pants became my new work wear (with trouser socks).

After babies, and now middle age, and 30 or so extra pounds, things tend to "pinch" a lot more than they did then. I probably would not find them as comfortable now.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:21 PM

3,223 posts, read 1,501,998 times
I still wear them!

Old 11-21-2016, 02:26 AM

1,273 posts, read 520,508 times
In the U.K., what the U.S. call pantyhose, were, and still are, known as tights, rarely if ever does my wife wear them now, but she has a couple of pair of thicker black ones for cold weather.
In the 80s and 90s she wore the regular tights daily, she preferred the colour 'almost black', they were a kind of smoky sensual colour, and she looked great in them with or without heels.
I don't remember when they first appeared in the U.K., maybe late 60s or early 70s, but I do remember, as a hot blooded youth at that time, before they were firmly established, riding the subway was a delight.
Girls would cross their legs in short skirts, revealing stocking tops and garters, there were times when we'd travel 3 or more stops further than we needed, eyes transfixed, imagination jumping through hoops!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty