U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 10:13 AM

2,616 posts, read 1,119,381 times

Advertisements

I saw another thread about pantyhose, but I'm not trying to get opinions on good or bad re pantyhose. I am just curious whatever happened to such a wardrobe staple? It seemed to happen so quick!
And for those who work in offices, aren't the fashionable heels you wear uncomfortable on bare feet?

Tights are another story, but when/why did plain ole pantyhose disappear from the scene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 10:49 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,364,995 times
I 100% hate pantyhose. I hated them as a kid, I hated them as a teen and I hate them as an adult. I am not really the most careful about where I lean and bump in to and living a life in fear of getting runs in your panty hoes is not for me. A as teen if I got a run ... I would make somemore to give it the punk rock effect ( ex ripped, but done on purpose)... as as adult I would not be taken well.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:35 PM

9,126 posts, read 3,940,319 times
Pantyhose have disappeared like pubic hair. :-) Probably some celebrity quit wearing them and little by little us regular people followed suit.

Living in Florida I would only have on pantyhose if I was wearing something formal and had on closed shoes. If I lived somewhere cold I would probably still wear them although I hated them. I hated cold legs more and I've always been more of a skirt or dress person.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:42 PM

72,789 posts, read 64,258,962 times
I don't think they have disappeared. I still see them in fashion magazines, as part of executive office attire or evening event dress. I think it depends on context and geographic location, as the Florida example above points out. But I bet women business execs, stock brokers and lawyers in FL wear them, when they're wearing skirts/dresses.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:45 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,853,466 times
Nothing has changed with pantyhose, some wear them, some do not, the way it has always been.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:53 PM

9,126 posts, read 3,940,319 times
I have found that wearing a closed shoe like a pump is not very comfortable when you are not wearing pantyhose. It's better if I put a little powder in the shoe.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:02 PM

18,891 posts, read 12,506,474 times
I think pantyhose started going away as early as the 1980s. I don't think wearing pantyhose disappeared all of a sudden. I remember reading a description of Princess Diana when she visited the US shortly after her marriage to Prince Charles. She was described as being bare legged, though dressed in an officially appropriate way. I do note that Catherine, her daughter in law, does seem to wear pantyhose though.

I seldom wear pantyhose, frankly. I haven't worn a pair in a long time. And during the last years of my work life, I wasn't wearing them then either. I notice that younger women wear them with boots now. But, by choice, I don't wear pantyhose.

If I needed to dress up, and especially if I was wearing a dress, I'd suck it up and buy a pair. But, in my normal life, I don't wear them and I haven't in a long time.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:04 PM

1,310 posts, read 836,626 times
I just found a pair while cleaning out my drawers. They must have been there for at least 10-12 years if not more.

I had them in case I got dressed up to go out somewhere in my Nine West heels. lol

Old 11-18-2016, 05:43 PM

1,056 posts, read 872,410 times
It's because women have switched to tights/leggings/spanx instead. All of these options are much more durable and more comfortable than pantyhose. I could get maybe one or two wearings from a pair of pantyhose versus years worth of wear out of a pair of spanx tights. Not to mention pantyhose are incredibly uncomfortable to wear in a variety of ways and most clothing these days is going the way of comfort being more important than appearance.

Not to mention more and more offices are going casual with the dress code which means most women are wearing fewer dresses/skirts than they were say 20 years ago which would mean less need for pantyhose or something similar.

Last edited by patches403; 11-18-2016 at 05:53 PM..

Old 11-18-2016, 05:54 PM

6,100 posts, read 2,308,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
It's because women have switched to tights/leggings/spanx instead. All of these options are much more durable and more comfortable than pantyhose. I could get maybe one or two wearings from a pair of pantyhose versus years worth of wear out of a pair of spanx tights. Not to mention pantyhose are incredibly uncomfortable to wear in a variety of ways and most clothing these days is going the way of comfort being more important than appearance.
Tights or leggings in the fall and winter, especially for those of us who are in cold states, but summer? It's been decades really since I bought nylons or pantyhose. Uncomfortable. Powder for heels, even those little partial stockings that are invisible in heels feel much better.

**One exception: Love those black thigh-highs with a skirt, heels or boots-- what's sexier than that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty