Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 03:22 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,862,462 times

Advertisements

I don't mean that to offend anyone, but I've noticed that it seems like A LOT of people are now (well the last 5-10 years) proudly sporting ink. The ones that stand out as most trendy are full or half sleeves...often accompanied by a beard and some sort of well groomed hair style in white males. Of course about all athletes have jumped on the train...Dennis Rodman was a wild man in 1995...now his tattoos from that time would be considered a starter kit.

Trends have of course came and gone over the years, but how does this trend go? Perhaps way too many people are invested to let "ink" die out as a passing trend?

To me it seems like tattoos looked rebellious at one point, but now that 1 in every 3 desk jockies are sporting a sleeve while doing crossfit on the weekend - perhaps the trend has jumped the shark?

I get the personal expression thing, but how do millions of people decide to personally express themselves in the same way?

Old 06-01-2017, 03:25 PM

6,612 posts, read 4,729,930 times
Pretty sure the F&B rules state No Tattoo threads.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Pretty sure the F&B rules state No Tattoo threads.
Oh, this might be my first post here so I never thought there would be such a rule. Granted, skin "art" is all about beauty so I can't image the reasoning...aside from those already having tattoos being offended by talking about something they can't easily remove.

Edit: darn, now I see it's the first sticky in here. Show simply wanted to discuss and went straight here to make thread lol. Mods delete this. Can anyone tell me the appropriate place to discuss such a topic?

Old 06-01-2017, 06:54 PM

16,365 posts, read 12,351,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I get the personal expression thing, but how do millions of people decide to personally express themselves in the same way?
Not going to comment on the forbidden topic, but millions of people personally express themselves through clothing. Have clothes jumped the shark?

Old 06-01-2017, 06:57 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,586,466 times
I am not a fan of tattoos. I don't care what people do to themselves. It's their body. Just remember, what's in style today is old hat tomorrow. I hear some tattoos are very painful to get removed.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not going to comment on the forbidden topic, but millions of people personally express themselves through clothing. Have clothes jumped the shark?
No. And you know why...clothing is temporary and easily changed. Tattoos on the other hand are esentially permanent. A tattoo is like wearing the same pants and shirt or dress for 10, 20, 50+ years. Anyone expressing themselves through fashion going to sign up for that?

Old 06-01-2017, 09:47 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,037,566 times
No tattoo threads!

Read this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 06-01-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I am not a fan of tattoos. I don't care what people do to themselves. It's their body. Just remember, what's in style today is old hat tomorrow. I hear some tattoos are very painful to get removed.
With sleeves being popular, I wonder how feasible it would be to remove them? Seems impossible.

I also don't truly worry about what individuals do to their bodies, but I like discussing trends and human behavior on more of a macro level. Tattoos happen to be trendy. It's like discussing polo shirts.

I don't see why tattooed adults can't discuss the topic without catching feelings.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:38 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,812,557 times
Sticky: No tattoo threads!

REPORTED

Old 06-03-2017, 06:55 AM

8 posts, read 7,975 times
Tattoos are overrated now. This is what happens when the sheep adopts a new trend, it loses its appeal. Almost every young person has a tattoo now. It is so common, that having NO tattoo at all, makes you unique now.

Most tattoos look terrible, only a small percentage are really good, like 5%.

Lots of people having tattoos because of "meaning", putting the names of lost ones, pictures, dog, and thinking that because it has "meaning", it somehow makes it better than the guy down the street who got a tattoo of dragons, skulls, angels, demons, etc. It doesn't.

Again, they are so common, that your "meaningful" tattoo, is meaningless, you are no the first person doing this thing, so nobody really cares or even wants to know.

Then, you have those 150lbs guys tattooed down from their throats to their knuckles, thinking that it somehow, makes them tough and edgy lol is their life. Most younger people only get tatts for the image it projects. Lots of inked people can't even differentiate between a quality and poverty tattoo. It's all the same them as long as they have something on their skin

would you spray paint the sistine chappel?
would you put an obama sticker on a ferrari?
would you draw a mustache on the mona lisa?

Last edited by Uryu; 06-03-2017 at 07:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty