Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 02:47 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Since it is the holiday season, I remember a red plaid dress I had. It had an asymmetrical closure, was a relaxed fit that I think would still fit me, and I wore it for a lot of Christmases. It was cute. Why did I get rid of it? I don't know.

I once went shopping in downtown Chicago, at Bloomingdales. I bought an Eileen Fisher outfit. As you may know, her clothes are timeless and I have other clothes of hers that I have worn for 15 years. I no longer have this outfit and I don't know why.

Do you miss something that you gave away?

My heart.....

Kidding but I do miss the body I once had that fit into those beautiful clothes I used to have. I had an INC suit from Macy's or Dillards that I used to have that I bought in 1999. It was a beautiful shade of gray and had a sleeveless dress like Jackie O used to wear and a matching jacket & pants that fit perfect. When I quit working full time it hung in my closet, then I lost weight and had them taken in, then I gained weight and donated them to Goodwill.

And of course I had gorgeous suits when I worked in New York in my 20's. Most of them were timeless classics but they wouldn't work well here in SW Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 02:54 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
OMG, yes. I can attach sentimental value to a pair of underwear.

I had a cherry red wool double breasted coat. I loved that coat ... and then lost weight and gave it away. I've been looking for a similar coat for ages and have not been able to find an acceptable color and style.

I miss all my old Gunne Sax dresses - I swear I didn't eat for six months saving money to buy them. They exist only in photographs of college roommates' weddings.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:45 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
Yes! I had a pair of black leather Famolare heels with a beautiful scalloped edge all around the instep. They were very expensive at the time, from Dillard's. . This was in the 80's. If anyone remembers the Famolare brand, they were known for a platform, rubber, rippled sole. The sole on these heals was 1/4 inch. They were a classic pair of shoes that I would wear even today. At the time, I had a cocker spaniel puppy...

Old 12-09-2016, 04:06 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
OMG, yes. I can attach sentimental value to a pair of underwear.

I had a cherry red wool double breasted coat. I loved that coat ... and then lost weight and gave it away. I've been looking for a similar coat for ages and have not been able to find an acceptable color and style.

I miss all my old Gunne Sax dresses - I swear I didn't eat for six months saving money to buy them. They exist only in photographs of college roommates' weddings.

My stepmother wore one when she married my father in 1973.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:15 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
All.The.Time.

I also mourn the bod that I once had that used to fit into those outfits.

I was totally thinking the same thing

Old 12-09-2016, 05:58 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Since it is the holiday season, I remember a red plaid dress I had. It had an asymmetrical closure, was a relaxed fit that I think would still fit me, and I wore it for a lot of Christmases. It was cute. Why did I get rid of it? I don't know.

I once went shopping in downtown Chicago, at Bloomingdales. I bought an Eileen Fisher outfit. As you may know, her clothes are timeless and I have other clothes of hers that I have worn for 15 years. I no longer have this outfit and I don't know why.

Yes, I lost a great deal of weight one year and gave away 22 dresses to the American Cancer Society store one evening. Then I had second thoughts about two of the items, and I went back to the store the next morning to retrieve them.
(I had said that I might come back for one or two, and they said "Don't worry. It takes us awhile to get everything tagged. They'll still be here, if you come early.)

Most of my best donations were not on hangers, and the very nicest weren't on the floor at all, not even in the back getting tagged, they said. The women who worked there played dumb, but I am certain from their behavior and looks to each other that the store employees either took them for themselves or else set them aside to sell privately.

I no longer donate anything to the American Cancer Society store.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:17 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,182,251 times
I miss all the clothes I was able to wear, in all the smaller sizes I've been!

Old 12-09-2016, 08:08 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
No. I've never really missed clothing that I can recall, at least not much.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:39 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Oh yes I have had several outfits that I mourn for because I'm retired now and no longer work I miss the getting up and getting dressed into those sharp suits I wore and those blazers and skirts .Yeah I ran into a lady in the goodwill who was telling the cashier she was still the size she had been in high school LOL I call BS on that one .
I'm still the same size all these years later, but I'm not shaped the way that I used to be.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:59 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
I was just thinking about this the other day. I miss my blue knit dress that fit me like a glove. Of course that's back when I had the body for it...

it was similar to this one but without the holes.. I wasn't that brave.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you mourn the loss of outfits you loved?-images-8-.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty