Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 04:02 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
For suits I own just two brands: Ermenegildo Zegna and Canali, because of the quality/appearance of fabric. Less costly brands do not compare, while more costly ones (i.e., Brioni) offer diminishing returns not worth the higher price.
Agree 100%.

My husband only wears Canali suits. They are a downright bargain given the quality.

My husband and I both hate logos and will not wear them unless they are very discreet. That said, I do own Tory Burch Miller flip flops. The logo is part of the design and unless you are familiar with the brand, you wouldn't know. They are very comfortable and I can wear them with anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 04:13 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,263 times
Definitely concur on Canali. One of my suits is arguably superior in look/feel to my Zegna suits; and my Canali topcoat is the nicest garment I have ever owned.

I know of Tori Burch and always walk past the store in one of the malls near me, however, I am not up to speed on women's designers -- with the exception of Hermes and Herve Leger. They are pretty much the only ones I can identify at a glance, because of their unique styles. I used to like Louboutin shoes, such as the Pigale Python Pump, but now they are becoming too common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Agree 100%.

My husband only wears Canali suits. They are a downright bargain given the quality.

My husband and I both hate logos and will not wear them unless they are very discreet. That said, I do own Tory Burch Miller flip flops. The logo is part of the design and unless you are familiar with the brand, you wouldn't know. They are very comfortable and I can wear them with anything.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:15 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,497 times
I prefer to buy a decent handbag such as Coach, Kors or Dooney. Why? Good construction, leather. I do not buy the ones with large dangly medallions hanging off of it. (MK) or the monogrammed designs such as Coach. I prefer low key. I never spend more that $200 either. Faux leather and vinyls just don't hold up to long term usage. I don't replace my bags too often.

I landed a nice navy Kors for half price at Macy's. The sales gal had just marked it down to half price and placed it on the sale table. I immediately scooped it up for $150.00. Similar purses at the MK "outlet" did not come close to my marked down find! Lol!

Classic not fussy style....I get compliments on it from men, women and even the young men working as cashiers and order takers. I typically make sure that the small "Michael Kors" name plate is facing me. I just feel safer doing that. No one needs to see the branding. Good style is classic. I am on year two carrying it and I have not interest in Replacing it any time soon.

Mae

Old 02-15-2017, 06:08 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
I prefer to buy a decent handbag such as Coach, Kors or Dooney. Why? Good construction, leather. I do not buy the ones with large dangly medallions hanging off of it. (MK) or the monogrammed designs such as Coach. I prefer low key. I never spend more that $200 either. Faux leather and vinyls just don't hold up to long term usage. I don't replace my bags too often.

I landed a nice navy Kors for half price at Macy's. The sales gal had just marked it down to half price and placed it on the sale table. I immediately scooped it up for $150.00. Similar purses at the MK "outlet" did not come close to my marked down find! Lol!

Classic not fussy style....I get compliments on it from men, women and even the young men working as cashiers and order takers. I typically make sure that the small "Michael Kors" name plate is facing me. I just feel safer doing that. No one needs to see the branding. Good style is classic. I am on yyear two carrying it and I have not interest in Replacing it any time soon.

Mae
why do you feel "safer"?

MK isn't really a high end item or something you would worry about someone stealing/robbing you...

Old 02-15-2017, 06:27 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
why do you feel "safer"?

MK isn't really a high end item or something you would worry about someone stealing/robbing you...
Comments like that sound very condescending to me. And BTW, some thieves will kill people for ANYTHING, even $20.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
why do you feel "safer"?

I have a friend who showed me the MK bag she bought herself for her for her birthday, because she was so pleased with it. At first glance I did not know what it was --- just simple plain leather and the MK clasp, and it looked a LOT more costly than the $300 she paid for it. And it did look really nice.

So there is good cause for some concern.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:49 PM

359 posts, read 320,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
Say a woman was walking down the street wearing clothes she spent hundreds on, as well as a purse she spend a few hundred on but there was no visible indication such as a logo showing that it was from a very high-end brand, how likely would it be other women would be able to see a woman wearing such and realize the woman was wearing high-end stuff?

Just a small FYI: Hundreds for an outfit and a few hundred on a purse is NOT high end, not even close. Thousands is high end.

Also, if you can get it at a discount at TJ Maxx it's not high end either.

Having said that, you can absolutely spend hundred (or less), and buy your clothes and handbags at TJ Maxx and look very expensive if it's all put together well!

Old 02-16-2017, 12:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
There are indeed bargains at TJ Maxx, but I find bags there that I actually want to carry not all that often. I always look when I am there however. I have picked up nice Baggalini bags for travel though.

Since I don't typically spend hundreds for outfits, I guess I don't need to spend more that $200 (highest price) for a bag. I do agree that good leather and sturdy construction are major factors for me. But I get all of that with a Fossil bag.

I don't mind carrying a good leather bag for several successive seasons. I like switching out during the year, but I don't mind if my bag is several years old, if I like it a lot.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:45 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
Personally, I see no problem with it.

I once had a boss with the same style sense as mine, and who wore the same brands. We enjoyed complimenting each other on our exceptionally good taste.

Dressing as well as the boss does not mean buying the same priced clothing. When asked about, say, suit options, my advice is always to spend less on the garment and more on the tailoring. A person in a poorly tailored -- or straight off the rack -- $2,000 suit will look quite shabby next to the one in a properly tailored $400 suit.

If I were to impose a strict dress code (which I will almost certainly do at some point in the future) I would also consider it fair to subsidize some of the cost. A $3,000-$4,000 wardrobe stipend would be quite reasonable for people who know how/where to shop for quality items, and what items to choose to make a small wardrobe seem large.

If I am expecting specific, pricey brands, then I would have to buy those outright.
SomeGuyinFairfax...If I am hired at this big pharma company soon who will be in the public often, is it appropriate to request a clothing stipend? Will they laugh? I will be asking for a lot of accommodations already...work remotely but travel often, represent company, develop and implement programs etc.
Any advice? I am somewhat tall and thin so I always tailor. I feel better if it fits. Sexy yet classy!

Old 02-19-2017, 09:50 AM

Present your requested accommodations but be prepared to drop the less important ones for the one(s) you desire most. It is important that you look your best, and reinforce that by feeling your best, because you will be the face of the company insofar as the people you will be interacting with are concerned.

Big Pharma hires pretty women specifically for their ability to "disarm" (mostly male) customers' sales resistance. Explain how the stipend will enhance your appearance and confidence, which reflects well on the company, and they will understand. Indeed, they already understand but would never openly admit to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
SomeGuyinFairfax...If I am hired at this big pharma company soon who will be in the public often, is it appropriate to request a clothing stipend? Will they laugh? I will be asking for a lot of accommodations already...work remotely but travel often, represent company, develop and implement programs etc.
Any advice? I am somewhat tall and thin so I always tailor. I feel better if it fits. Sexy yet classy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty