Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 02:14 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
She is completely photoshopped in every pic.
What model isnt? There are plenty of candid non glamour shots of her that aren't though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 12:50 AM

783 posts, read 576,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I dont get this comment.

The whole point of fashion shows is to display fashion. People of all sizes wear and buy clothes. Why would you have someone underweight model clothing to be purchases by people that are larger sizes?

This are what you make of them. I see no reason why anyone could not walk down a run way if they choose to or if they are more representative for the market for that line.

I actually think that more people should boycott certain designers that only have models in certain sizes, but sell clothings in larger sizes.
Sure the point of a fashion show is to display fashion, but it's kinda hard to focus on the fashion when you're horrified by the body of the person wearing it. Even when you have normal sized women modeling, you don't find any designers choosing models with really unattractive faces to model their clothes because that would detract from the purpose of the show. Instead of focusing on the clothes, people would be talking about how ugly the person wearing the clothes was. It's the same with a 300 lb woman. Nobody wants to see that.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:15 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
Is being obese considered Plus-Size? Or is there certain body types that should only be considered Plus-Size?

Old 12-13-2016, 06:09 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Before getting a plus size model, Victoria Secret needs to start offering sizes for plus size women. I'm not even technically plus-sized and I can't get a bra in my size there - and it is not an uncommon/unusual size.....

Victoria's Secret seems to have their niche with the "younger" crowd. Soma, a division of Chico's has a much better selection of bra sizes as does certain brands at places like Dillards. VS has name brand recognition which is probably one of the reasons they are so popular.

If your SO sees you come home with a bag from VS, he will be a lot more excited that seeing a bag from Soma or Dillards. That's where that brand recognition comes in and believe me VS knows it. Why do you think they spend so much on advertising? Have you ever seen a TV ad for Soma?

If VS doesn't have your size, shop somewhere else; they aren't the only lingerie store available. Send them a note or email, tell them why you aren't shopping there. They may reconsider the sizes they offer or they may be like A&F who doesn't want anybody shopping there who doesn't have a near perfect body.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:49 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Is being obese considered Plus-Size? Or is there certain body types that should only be considered Plus-Size?
The breast push more forward than the stomach. You are now model ready.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:11 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
Sure the point of a fashion show is to display fashion, but it's kinda hard to focus on the fashion when you're horrified by the body of the person wearing it. Even when you have normal sized women modeling, you don't find any designers choosing models with really unattractive faces to model their clothes because that would detract from the purpose of the show. Instead of focusing on the clothes, people would be talking about how ugly the person wearing the clothes was. It's the same with a 300 lb woman. Nobody wants to see that.
I would not be 100% sure of that. If you are not in to something ... that is okay.
Many people are horrified seeing women that have skelatal bodies walking down a run way. They are not in optimal health either.

Fashioner designers need to cater to their marktes. If you are making fashion for every woman ... better represent. If you are not they cater your models to the group you are targeting. The way a women size 2 looks in an outside is totally different then a woman who is size 22. If you are selling to the woman who is size 22 she wants to see how it would look on her and if it looks good she may buy it. It would work the same for the smaller person. People want to picture themselves in the outfit. If the person on the run way does not look like them then how is the disinger going to get their business. A lot of this movements is also about money. If putting Ashley Graham on the cover or run way is going to generate more sales ... then why would they not go for it.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:15 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The breast push more forward than the stomach. You are now model ready.
I think the term refers to clothing sizes ex XL, XXL, XXXL.

Regardless ... why should anyone care what everyone else looks like. I certainly don't .

Old 12-13-2016, 11:57 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Ashley Graham Is Dreaming of a Plus-Size Victoria’s Secret Model--
Ashley can keep dreaming. Aint going to happen. All this nonsense about "its time for a plus sized Victoria's Secret model" is like saying "Its time for a midget NBA player". Not going to happen. Unless the "plus sized" model is a mega celeb they get to model clothes. Someone like a 20 somthing J-Lo type or 140 lb fitness model (Kaisa Keiran or Gracyanne Barbosa) who are all the rage now with health/fitness being so popular.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:16 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Ashley can keep dreaming. Aint going to happen. All this nonsense about "its time for a plus sized Victoria's Secret model" is like saying "Its time for a midget NBA player". Not going to happen.
Lol. That is a terrible analogy. Muggsy Bogues, Spudd Webb and Earl Boykins aside...whom admittedly are not "midgets"...there's no correlation between her weight and her ability to model for anyone. It is just a judgement call by that company's marketing firm/division and has nothing to do with her skill or ability to perform.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:08 PM

783 posts, read 576,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I would not be 100% sure of that. If you are not in to something ... that is okay.
Many people are horrified seeing women that have skelatal bodies walking down a run way. They are not in optimal health either.

Fashioner designers need to cater to their marktes. If you are making fashion for every woman ... better represent. If you are not they cater your models to the group you are targeting. The way a women size 2 looks in an outside is totally different then a woman who is size 22. If you are selling to the woman who is size 22 she wants to see how it would look on her and if it looks good she may buy it. It would work the same for the smaller person. People want to picture themselves in the outfit. If the person on the run way does not look like them then how is the disinger going to get their business. A lot of this movements is also about money. If putting Ashley Graham on the cover or run way is going to generate more sales ... then why would they not go for it.
No, I'm not buying that.

Most of the women who wear clothing don't look anything like the models that walk down a runway in that particular clothing. So seeing a woman who, again, probably has a body that looks nothing like yours, walk down a runway in a dress, isn't going to show you how it will look on you. I've seen pictures of male models in suits right by the rack and when I try it on, it looks like a totally different suit. If you really want to see how it would look on you, then you go to a dressing room, like men do.

Also, fashion shows aren't just for women who want to see how the clothing looks. If it were, there wouldn't be so many famous MALE musicians, athletes, actors etc. sitting in the front row who have absolutely no interest in fashion. They go there because they want to see pretty women walking around in skimpy clothes (in addition to just being general fame hores).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty