Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 03:28 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,967 times

Advertisements

Curious, has anyone ever seen an outfit, on someone media-wise that they loved -maybe even wanted, but couldn't pull off themselves due to there not being an occasion to wear it -in real-life?

I see women wearing nice outfits on tv. But obviously, that's not everyday life. And the outfits are probably only suited for extremely fancy settings / gatherings, or on camera, etc.

Some pix posted of outfits would be nice. Can be anything from fancy, to a more casual dress, that you still couldn't picture wearing to any events you'd be going to -but you'd definitely wear it, should you get the chance event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 03:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
All the time. I am retired, and I live a casual, quiet life. I dress up very rarely now, so rarely that when I need to dress up a bit, I really have to think how to pull that off with my present wardrobe.

I pretty much live in jeans in the colder months.

To be more specific, I like some career wear, such as jackets and shirts. I like the look of suits. I also love me a fashionable coat. I don't need any of this.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:20 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
I ranch in addition to having a day job. I am either in jeans, insulated coveralls (this time of year), or khakis and a blouse. But! In the distant past I also got a degree in fashion merchandising and did well in that field with my own business.

I generally have two events a year that require really dressing up. For those I either hit second hand stores, or borrow. I have gotten some amazing gowns at second hand stores for almost nothing. A small group of friends and I even have a private contest to see who can put together the most amazing outfit for the least amount of money. Not because we couldn't afford retail, just for the fun of it. I've won two of the last six years.

If I have no further need for the dress, I donate it to a school for plays or give it to a little girl for dress up. It's fun.

I still watch runway shows on youtube occasionally. I love fashion. I love my rural lifestyle more. Still, I do see outfits that I would love to live in, but they just wouldn't work in my life.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I ranch in addition to having a day job. I am either in jeans, insulated coveralls (this time of year), or khakis and a blouse. But! In the distant past I also got a degree in fashion merchandising and did well in that field with my own business.

I generally have two events a year that require really dressing up. For those I either hit second hand stores, or borrow. I have gotten some amazing gowns at second hand stores for almost nothing. A small group of friends and I even have a private contest to see who can put together the most amazing outfit for the least amount of money. Not because we couldn't afford retail, just for the fun of it. I've won two of the last six years.

If I have no further need for the dress, I donate it to a school for plays or give it to a little girl for dress up. It's fun.

I still watch runway shows on youtube occasionally. I love fashion. I love my rural lifestyle more. Still, I do see outfits that I would love to live in, but they just wouldn't work in my life.
Yeah. I live in a small town of 900. Anything fancy or more dressy would look out of place, and people would be wondering why you're so dressed up. Other than church, you don't have dressy occasions here. lol

I see lots of nice-looking dresses, hats, and coats that I would love to wear, but sadly, no places for them around here. They aren't everyday-wear. But even for any special occasions there'd be here, it's too much.

I like what Amanda is wearing here. Amanda is in the white.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKfHXAYBjVZ/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BL1fpniDasU/
It is by no means fancy / elegant, but it's a nice look, imo. May be a bit too provocative to some, understandably. But there'd be occasion to wear something like this now and again in a larger more diverse area. Where I live, that would never be fine to wear, anywhere, or at any time. lol

But I always thought it looked cute on her. Problem though. She can pull it off, and others may not do the same. A friend of mine mentions her outfit works because she's got a small chest, whereas a woman with a larger chest wouldn't work.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:40 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Curious, has anyone ever seen an outfit, on someone media-wise that they loved -maybe even wanted, but couldn't pull off themselves due to there not being an occasion to wear it -in real-life?

I see women wearing nice outfits on tv. But obviously, that's not everyday life. And the outfits are probably only suited for extremely fancy settings / gatherings, or on camera, etc.

Some pix posted of outfits would be nice. Can be anything from fancy, to a more casual dress, that you still couldn't picture wearing to any events you'd be going to -but you'd definitely wear it, should you get the chance event.
I always see nice cocktail dresses, but I have the chance to wear one maybe once a year....usually right when I don't see any nice cocktail dresses.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:36 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
This would describe 25-35% of the shoes in my closet. In my day to day I have walk or stand. And for a myriad of reasons I have enough trouble standing in comfy shoes. Much less heels. But they look pretty. I am going to get rid of the useless soon. I promise. I am trying to swap my stilettos for block heels.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:17 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
Sure! I see stuff all the time that I love but wouldn't have a place to wear it. I even bought one dress once that I felt that way about. I ended up wearing it twice- once to a baby shower and once to a party. I don't go to events like that very often, and the dress wasn't what I would normally choose for those events, but it worked.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:24 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
My husband and I have a pretty quiet lifestyle, but I'm always dressing up to go out, even if it is just to dinner. We have season tix to a performance which gives me the opportunity to dress up.

Seesh, when I go to Costco, I dress nicely. Makes me just feel better!

Old 12-18-2016, 07:59 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
I love looking at wedding gowns, but I am not engaged to be married lol

Old 12-18-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I love looking at wedding gowns, but I am not engaged to be married lol
Yeah. That is a rough one. You see VERY lovely gowns. Maybe even have an idea of the perfect one for your wedding. But sadly, there's no wedding coming up. Annoying. lol

I don't see myself married any time soon, or any time at all really. So I come off better planning how I would like my funeral to look. You know that's coming one day. Already have some ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty