Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 02:12 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,851,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Try being 5' tall, about 100 lbs. - many yrs. ago I could find clothes, then the last 10 yrs. or so I had to go to kid's which was okay for awhile until the: skinny leg, sequins, glitter, whatever embellishments and cheapo fabric.

That describes me to a "T"! I hate it. I only buy my work pants in the girls dept. and I wear a 12 regular boot cut. My legs are small enough I don't EVER want to emphasize it with "skinny leg" pants. A girls size 14 fleece pajama set fits me perfect. I just have to watch that I don't pick a pair with the Disney pics all over them. I can wear just about any of the tops in Juniors so no problem there. We wear navy blue polo shirts for work and get those in women's or large boy's sizes. I detest clothes shopping and do as little as possible just because it's so hard to find anything that fits/looks/feels decent to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 04:02 PM

7,982 posts, read 5,332,888 times
I am not a size 4--size 10, sometimes 8, 5'2". Boden works well for me. I just wish they had more Petite sizes. Some of their Boden girl stuff fits me and it is less expensive.

They are very kind to me as a regular customer. They send me $20/$25 off coupon a few times a year. Free shipping and easy returns over $49

Old 12-16-2016, 04:08 PM

7,982 posts, read 5,332,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My wife was a petite and I always told her you are just going to have things altered. She did and looked great.
It really doesn't always work. If I buy a regular dress, the waist part falls at my hips. So the fit is way off. If I buy regular pants the part where the calf should be is lower--making the look horrible.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:45 PM

5,321 posts, read 8,489,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
But I'll plug a shop i mentioned in another thread: eShakti. The clothing is mostly basics and vintage inspired stuff with an expanding range. But the prices are not too expensive and everything can be custom sized from your measurements for about $10 extra. The clothes are handmade in India. I got a great fitting cotton knit dress for about $40 in my last order. They have lots of fabrics and styles and it is great for tall, short, busty, petite and whoever. Check it out.

Women's Fashion Clothing 0-36W and Custom
I was going to mention EShakti as well. I have only purchased one dress from them so far. I really like the one I got, though. It was so much fun being able to customize the sleeves, etc.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:31 PM

58 posts, read 113,875 times
I'm pretty much a size 0 petite adult, and clothing is frustrating because it seems like designers assume short means wide, too. I'm a toothpick even though I love to eat. Most of my clothes are literally from the girls' section of stores because nothing age appropriate fits my body properly. I hate it. I hate clothes.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:56 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,862,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I am not a size 4--size 10, sometimes 8, 5'2". Boden works well for me. I just wish they had more Petite sizes. Some of their Boden girl stuff fits me and it is less expensive.

They are very kind to me as a regular customer. They send me $20/$25 off coupon a few times a year. Free shipping and easy returns over $49
Great idea. I'm your size exactly. I will check it out. I usually shop at Kohl's, Academy, Dillard's, and Sears. I'm ready for a change.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:52 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,185,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlechoirlady View Post
I'm pretty much a size 0 petite adult, and clothing is frustrating because it seems like designers assume short means wide, too. I'm a toothpick even though I love to eat. Most of my clothes are literally from the girls' section of stores because nothing age appropriate fits my body properly. I hate it. I hate clothes.
LOL yeah, I remember shopping for a wedding dress and my friends would tease me by suggesting I look at communion dresses

Old 12-17-2016, 05:49 PM

15,199 posts, read 10,172,132 times
I also like Chico's especially for pants. Like you Sheena I'm short but I have long legs so if I buy petite pants they are too short if I want to wear heels. Unfortunately Chico's is geared toward the more mature woman so it's hit and miss. A lot of their clothes are just fugly. I did find a great pair of black slacks at Talbots in petite and they were boot cut which I prefer over the skinny pants. They are long enough that I can wear them with 3 inch heels!

Some of the nice stores like Ann Taylor Loft carry petites and some stores may not have them in their brick and mortar locations but you can find them online. I went shopping last week at Macy's, J.C. Penney and Dillards and could not find any petite tops that didn't scream "I'm going to bingo right after dinner at 4:30".

Old 12-18-2016, 08:15 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,670,700 times
I understand the pain.. it's so tough finding decent clothing that fits and is still stylish. My favorite places to shop would be kohls and target. I shop in the juniors area still mostly because it will fit me best, but it's very tough finding clothing that isn't "high school" like either but I do find things. I think as I get older (almost 30 right now) it will probably get more tough.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:26 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,534,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Good Luck. I know what you're talking about. Many of the petite styles are too frumpy for me and I'm 58. And don't get me started on the quality of petite clothing. Sub-par fabric and construction.

Back in the 80s and early 90s....such nice clothing when I was in my 30s. I don't know what happened. I'm right there with you.
This could be due to many of the clothing lines not being made or manufactured here. I agree that the selections today are subpar compared to the quality we had in the 80's and 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty