Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 01:58 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a coat for a woman.

The brand is Cole Haan and I've noticed that although Macys and Lord & Taylor both have several coats that are good sale deals, the coats at Lord & Taylor start at the price that Macys ends ... in general.

Is there a reason for this? It's the same brand, right? And the coats look pretty similar.

Would there be a reason to spend more on the Lord and Taylor coats?

Help a fella out ladies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 02:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
We don't have a Lord and Taylor's where I live but they are similar stores with similar brands. I noticed L&T had some fashion forward brands Macy's only cares in flagship stores. I am sure the reverse is true.

Macy's doesn't really have any differentiation other than they like to have cheap prices and lots of coupons. For me we mostly only have Nordies, Macy's and Bloomies. There is a bit of overlap between all 3 and each have unique brands.

Personally I am willing to pay more at Nordstrom since Nordies offers a better customer experience. Macy's tend to be super messy. But that being said if it is half the prices and I happen to find it easily in Macy's, of course I will get it!

So the coats might be the same. But it also might be the lower end Cole Haan brand that is available driving the price. I have found the Macy's Cole Haan house brand is less nice than the other stores lower line Cole Haan. I haven't looked at the coats much but the shoes at Macy's don't have a leather sole and the ones for $10-20 more at the other stores have leather soles. And they aren't much cheaper than the regular CH line. There are other differences, so I am more cautious. I don't know if Haan produces a separate clothing line too.

But since L&T is more Macy's than Nordstrom they are probably the same line. For example all of them carry Michael Korea and Vince Camino. But Macy's has better sales than Nordstrom. It is easy to get a 40% off coupon. Nordstrom only discounts 20-25%.

Pick which ever is more convenient for your wife to return if she wants something else. They are likely the same.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:01 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I'm looking to buy a coat for a woman.

The brand is Cole Haan and I've noticed that although Macys and Lord & Taylor both have several coats that are good sale deals, the coats at Lord & Taylor start at the price that Macys ends ... in general.

Is there a reason for this? It's the same brand, right? And the coats look pretty similar.

Would there be a reason to spend more on the Lord and Taylor coats?

Help a fella out ladies.
I wouldn't buy from either of those stores. I'd buy online instead.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I wouldn't buy from either of those stores. I'd buy online instead.
But Cole Haan isn't really available online. And those stores will have a nicer return policy than the Cole Haan store.

But personally I prefer an in store option. Even if I initially fulfilled online. Especially coats. They are harder to fit and especially annoying to purchase online. Hard to judge quality and construction on a coat via pictures.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:12 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Lord & Taylor has higher-end clothing than Macy's. So that would account for the higher price point. Plus, unless you're referring to the same coat, the two stores may carry different lines within the Cole Haan brand. Macy's may be carrying the lower-end labels, and thus the lower prices. However, if you're seeing the same coat for different prices, buy the less expensive one.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Lord & Taylor has higher-end clothing than Macy's. So that would account for the higher price point. Plus, unless you're referring to the same coat, the two stores may carry different lines within the Cole Haan brand. Macy's may be carrying the lower-end labels, and thus the lower prices. However, if you're seeing the same coat for different prices, buy the less expensive one.
Yes, but my question is ... is the quality that much better?

It's the same brand.

Nobody is really going to buy Cole Haan or Kenneth Cole to show off, so really I guess the question is, does Macy's have decent quality Cole Haan coats?

Old 12-17-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Pick which ever is more convenient for your wife to return if she wants something else. They are likely the same.
OK, thanks.

I figure if it's the same brand, and the quality is somewhat comparable, why pay double?

Old 12-17-2016, 04:53 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Quote:
Yes, but my question is ... is the quality that much better?

It's the same brand.

Nobody is really going to buy Cole Haan or Kenneth Cole to show off, so really I guess the question is, does Macy's have decent quality Cole Haan coats?
If they're the same model, made of the same fabric, and in the same country, I would expect that they're the same. Maybe not the exact same batch, but made from the same pattern, fabric, threads, and notions, etc. Factories make thousands of coats per batch, which are then shipped out to different stores all over the country or the world. Therefore, the quality should be the same at either store.

Whereas, if, for example, one is 100% wool and the other is a wool blend, you know right off the bat that there's a significant difference in quality (of the fabric, at least)--regardless of the store.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
OK, thanks.

I figure if it's the same brand, and the quality is somewhat comparable, why pay double?
If it is double it is probably a different line. There are differences but they may not be noticeable to her, dig into the product details to see if once is elevated.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:09 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,402 times
Why pay a Lord & Taylor's price for a Macy's coat?

To get wider shopping aisles, more elegant shopping bags, and different music?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty