Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:47 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times

Advertisements

It stinks.

Literally, can't stand to be around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 12:22 PM

18 posts, read 12,359 times
I would strongly caution anyone against buying fragrance on Ebay. Some sellers get bottles and just fill them up with rubbing alcohol. This happened to me and I found out there were many Ebay sellers doing the same thing. Checking their feedback score is often meaningless, because they will often do anything to keep a buyer from leaving bad feedback. Many buyers won't leave bad feedback if they get a refund. However, if they are gifting the fragrance to someone, the recipient might never let them know it's bad perfume.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:56 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What other perfumes can compare to Opium?
As far as similarity (floral orientals), popularity, or both, I'd say
Spellbound (the original)
Arpege
Obsession
Giorgio
Boucheron
Bijan
Ysatis

Old 01-03-2017, 03:11 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
I wore Opium exclusively in the 1980's and 1990's. It just doesn't work for me now; too strong or heavy, I guess. I prefer a much lighter citrus fragrance now.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:23 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,158 times
I loved Opium, Poison, Beautiful by Estee Lauder back in the '80's -'90's

I was in Macy's a few months ago, noticed and tried on a spray of Poison.

Maybe it was me, but it didn't smell the same. It wasn't rich and heady, it was more chemical-like, or synthetic-y. I can't really describe it. Needless to say, I was not transported back to 1989 for a few minutes, and just moved on and continued shopping

Old 01-03-2017, 05:20 PM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
The perfume I mean)))
This one;

Or even an earlier version.
Did you ever own one?
Did you wear it through the eighties, nineties?
What's about later, like in the 200ies?
Did you try the new version?
What do you think about it?
What other perfumes can compare to Opium?
Lots and lots of questions...
Never cared for it.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:21 PM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Michelle View Post
I would strongly caution anyone against buying fragrance on Ebay. Some sellers get bottles and just fill them up with rubbing alcohol. This happened to me and I found out there were many Ebay sellers doing the same thing. Checking their feedback score is often meaningless, because they will often do anything to keep a buyer from leaving bad feedback. Many buyers won't leave bad feedback if they get a refund. However, if they are gifting the fragrance to someone, the recipient might never let them know it's bad perfume.
I have bought discontinued men's cologne. Sealed package - no problems.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:25 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I loved Opium, Poison, Beautiful by Estee Lauder back in the '80's -'90's

I was in Macy's a few months ago, noticed and tried on a spray of Poison.

Maybe it was me, but it didn't smell the same. It wasn't rich and heady, it was more chemical-like, or synthetic-y. I can't really describe it. Needless to say, I was not transported back to 1989 for a few minutes, and just moved on and continued shopping
^^^^ It's been reformulated. That's what's been happening to all the beautiful classic perfumes that were created before the endless European Union anti-allergy rules on perfume ingredients.

They've banned just about every natural ingredient that perfumers used to use. Now almost every ingredient is created in a lab. Most of the reformulations using man-made ingredients end up smelling like roach spray.

It's very interesting that all the anti-allergy rules have resulted an uptick in perfume allergies like never before--probably due to all the new chemicals coming out of the labs.

Last edited by Sage 80; 01-03-2017 at 06:40 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 06:49 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I wore it in the eighties and have always loved the mysterious, spicy fragrances. Other fragrance I favored were Hypnotique by Max Factor, Golden Autumn by Prince Matchabelli, Youth Dew by Estee Lauder and Ysatis by Givenchy. I think they may have all been a bit mature for me at the time.

I remember my aunt, who had impeccable taste, doing a little wave of her hand when we hugged at a luncheon greeting. And I knew she was sending me a clue. It was definitely an evening scent.

I don't think they've ever advertised Opium as the "old lady's perfume")))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNoQdKDZwHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQvNo9MrSxU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otglp4TDvc0

But definitely it's an evening scent - yes to that.

P.S. I am not familiar with the other ones you've mentioned, so can't say anything about them)))

Quote:
Now I'm so much more aware of all the allergies of others and careful about what I wear depending on who I'm going to be with. I don't remember there being so much sensitivity to others' scents back then. (Or the rudeness of commenting on it. Now it's just the opposite and the scent-wearer is the one being rude!)
I suspect the allergies are coming up lately because of all the chemical components of contemporary perfumes)))
No one was complaining about the allergies, when perfumes were made of quality ingredients))))

Quote:
I'm wearing Coco Mademoiselle sitting here in my yoga pants. Probably wouldn't have put it on if I were going out.
I need to refresh my memory on this one, what's the difference with the original Chanel and whether it has been reformulated lately, like many other perfumes...

Old 01-03-2017, 07:01 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I was always, and will always be, a Chanel No. 5 fan.
Can't blame you there. I definitely used to have it in my collection as well.

Quote:
I haven't owned any for about 30 years now but I swear I can still smell it. Never tried any other perfume since that became my personal signature (always the real perfume but very lightly administered and only on special occasions) back in the late 60s/early 70s. Everything else just smells cheap to me.
I am not sure about "cheap" when it comes to other perfumes, but Chanel # 5 has a very noble and dignified scent - that is a YES.

Quote:
Have to say though that I am surprised if perfumes from many years ago kept well enough to be sold as vintage today. It always seemed to me that real perfume could go 'off' within a few years and once that happened if one still had any left, one had to toss the bottle, no matter how careful they were to not contaminate it.
I still have leftovers in my Chanel bottle, which is gazillion years old. Nope, smells as good as ever, as quality perfume should. BUT; when it comes to "contamination" - I do think that spray bottles are on a safer side.
( Although I am not sure whether Chanel #5 ever came in a spray bottle.)
They produce them now ( all kind of numbers) in spray bottles, but the sent is not the same of course.
I owe Chanel # 19 now ( it was a gift it's not bad, but there is sure a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty