Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 10:25 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,564,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Sorry. I mis-remembered. I meant The Avenue.
They still exist? They closed every store I've ever seen in multiple states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 10:27 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,564,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Facebook is not a legitimate news source. I have no doubt that this clip on Gunn is true, since I've heard him say this. But FB is a known source for fake news, so it's best to link to the SOURCE directly, which in this case is PBS. If it's true, it'll be on the PBS site, which is a legitimate news source.
PBS has a lot of free time to make fake Tim Gunn videos?

Old 01-07-2017, 10:46 PM

473 posts, read 759,081 times
Tim Gunn Op Ed piece during New York Fashion Week:

http://https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/09/08/tim-gunn-designers-refuse-to-make-clothes-to-fit-american-women-its-a-disgrace/?utm_term=.dc53e6fa0828

Old 01-07-2017, 11:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
More stylish choices are out there. If you are past a size 12 an dress well... you just usually work harder to maintain that appearance. If you don't live in a major city I would advise shopping online. A lot of department stores carry hideous fashion choices for anyone who needs something past a size 12.

Different body sizes all have their issues when shopping. I was talking with 2 straight men from work and laughing because men seem to have the same issues. One guy was shorter, but thicker built and the other was a lot taller and a thicker built and both had complaints about the sizes available out there for men like them too.

For me having a larger chest and full butt has always made it challenging to find clothes that fix well ex hug the curves vs being too baggy or being too tight. There are certain types of clothes I can almost never wear ex any tops that are button down cotton that don't have stretch ... in no time those buttons will be coming up done and I will be flashing .
Yes to all.

I have posted here many times that I order clothes frequently onlne.

I do live in a major metro area, but getting to decent shopping is an ordeal. But there is not very much for me at most malls, anyway.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:55 AM

50,178 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
There is one in Savannah.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:01 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,926,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Facebook is not a legitimate news source. I have no doubt that this clip on Gunn is true, since I've heard him say this. But FB is a known source for fake news, so it's best to link to the SOURCE directly, which in this case is PBS. If it's true, it'll be on the PBS site, which is a legitimate news source.
Facebook has never claimed to be a news source. It is simply a place where others can post news- fake or not.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:03 AM

16,390 posts, read 12,405,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Yes, they exist. They did close a number of them about 3 or 4 years ago, but they still have a brick-and-mortar presence, as well as online.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know what you mean about Talbot's. They went from dowdy, to trendy, to dowdy again, but if you are like me and are right on the edge between M and Plus, it's nice to be able to try on the same pair of pants in 18 and 16w in the same store. Since my top is always a 14 or 16, I can get a whole outfit, even if I'm switching between sections.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Christopher & Banks yet. The quality is a bit questionable, but it is inexpensive, and I can usually find something there.
You know, I look at their clothes and just go "Meh!" Having said that, I have bought from them. I bought more a few years ago, and buy fewer things there now.

I was desperate for a fairly dressy tee this winter. I bought a couple with satin neck binding and 3/4 sleeves. I thought they were OK. I do wear them under things exclusively. The cut is dumpy though, and the arm length unfortunate. On me the length is more like 2/3, and it is hard to pull that sleeve through a sweater. It always slides up to elbow. I won't be buying any more. And their sweaters are mediocre. And their jean jackets can be plain for missy sizes, but seem to be always glittered up for plus sizes.

But--they carry size 0X and that is the size I like the best. So, I do check them out from time to time.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:55 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,318,274 times
I hate to purchase clothing online because of the latest trend of almost nearly see-through thin fabric. May look cute in a photo online but when you get it home you realize you need to wear another shirt under it or you would look scandalous. When that stops, I will purchase shirts and tops online again.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I hate to purchase clothing online because of the latest trend of almost nearly see-through thin fabric. May look cute in a photo online but when you get it home you realize you need to wear another shirt under it or you would look scandalous. When that stops, I will purchase shirts and tops online again.
I started a thread to complain about this. It is ridiculous. I don't have time to add a layer for all of my outfits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty