U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 10:02 PM

9,791 posts, read 8,718,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I hate to purchase clothing online because of the latest trend of almost nearly see-through thin fabric. May look cute in a photo online but when you get it home you realize you need to wear another shirt under it or you would look scandalous. When that stops, I will purchase shirts and tops online again.
I've had that experience too. With old line retailers like Bean and Land End, you can usually find a statement about fit and description of fabric. I've learned to read the descriptions carefully. When the word modal is used, it is probably a thin knit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 09:57 PM

4,634 posts, read 1,853,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
About 1.5 years ago I began a diet and eventually lost around 26 lbs. Last winter I purchase a couple of new winter coats and ditched my old ones because they were so big that they swam on me. I did keep 1 old coat that was sized PXL as a knock around coat for doing dirty chores like snow shovelling and cleaning off the car.

I gained about 10 lbs back so the new coats I purchased last year were really getting a little too snug (still wearable but the pockets were gaping and I just hate that!), but the PXL coat was still too big. I went looking for a replacement coat and was shocked--and PO'd--to discover that I could just about zip up the size large AND X-large coats, and in some cases the hip was cut so narrow that the I couldn't get the coat around to button it up. WTF?? I am on the short side so I can't go up any more sizes without my shoulders drowning in fabric and the sleeves falling down to my knees.

I don't know who manufacturers are making clothes for anymore. Certainly not your average American woman....
I noticed this trend, too. Instead of an A-line shape to coats, there seemed to be a straight up and down shape on the ones I tried on. I hate those gaping pockets, too!

And consider that I'm not an especially hippy woman. But women do have wider hips than shoulders, so a coat, which has to go over winter clothes, should be A-line shape, I should think, for ease of movement, sitting, getting in cars and such.

I did manage to find a couple of new coats (I was long overdue), but I had to try on a lot of dogs before I found them. I found a cute red car-length coat, London Fog. Perfect fit. Then I found an awesome full length Anne Klein with hoodie. Both were A-line shape, but just slightly. Both were at great prices, too. I was lucky, but I did have to look a LOT and try on a lot.

Some of the coats had wider shoulders than I need. They looked odd.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:58 PM

4,634 posts, read 1,853,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I hate to purchase clothing online because of the latest trend of almost nearly see-through thin fabric. May look cute in a photo online but when you get it home you realize you need to wear another shirt under it or you would look scandalous. When that stops, I will purchase shirts and tops online again.
I've noticed this, too. Some brands I know are thicker, but if I don't know, I assume the worst, or try to at least check out a sample of that brand in person.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:56 AM
Status: "/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/" (set 9 hours ago)

4,533 posts, read 1,637,662 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Good Lord! What does sexual orientation have to do with this topic?
A lot of people assume that men don't have issues finding clothes that fit them. Also a lot of people assume straight men don't worry too much about their clothing/apperance. All not true!

I use to assume people that were really petite had it easy to find clothes... but turns out their got their issues too.

People come in so many shapes and sizes and if there is a market for different sizes then the industry should be catering to all different shapes and sizes. It really just makes good business sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty