U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 10:27 AM

12,380 posts, read 12,964,584 times

Advertisements

Not full on mullet, parents wouldn't let me. I had a wimpy rattail for a while though. That was actually probably early '90s as I was in elementary school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 10:42 AM

12,826 posts, read 9,255,448 times
I always wanted my hair like Pamela from Dallas but as mine is a bit wavy it only stayed in the style till the first gust of wind then it looked a mess.. Ill never have motorbike hair...or the girl who walks out of the surf with her hair all sleek, mine would be all over the place.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:47 AM

3,647 posts, read 1,107,426 times
Female. I had hair as big as I could get it, considering mine is very fine and thin. No shoulder pads, though. Mini skirts, I, too had a favorite stretchy belt, navy blue panty hose, 3" cute-as-can-be sandal-style heels with matching purse. Those were the Good Old Days. 70s and early 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
Remember the stirrup pants? I had some black ones with big pink polka dots and a pink sweater I bought from the Limited.
I lived in stirrup pants.
Yep, I remember them. I didn't care for them. Do you remember the stretchy tops that buttoned at the crotch?

Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 AM

12,826 posts, read 9,255,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Female. I had hair as big as I could get it, considering mine is very fine and thin. No shoulder pads, though. Mini skirts, I, too had a favorite stretchy belt, navy blue panty hose, 3" cute-as-can-be sandal-style heels with matching purse. Those were the Good Old Days. 70s and early 80s.

Yep, I remember them. I didn't care for them. Do you remember the stretchy tops that buttoned at the crotch?
oh the teddy type things of body suits.. I had a couple of those with collers like a shirt hahaha...

Old 01-09-2017, 12:15 PM
Status: "As clean as a shimmering mermaid" (set 3 days ago)

550 posts, read 523,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post

OMG yes I do! I'm embarrassed to say I had a couple of them

Old 01-09-2017, 12:18 PM

6,233 posts, read 1,445,523 times
YES, for both me and my husband! We love to look at old pictures and watch my kids say "what is wrong with your hair", Lol!

Old 01-09-2017, 01:29 PM

15,955 posts, read 18,967,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
I am curious about something. For men, did you have a Mullet? For women, did you have the big hair and shoulder pads? I think the 80s was the craziest decade for fashion/style for both men and women. Did you really like it?

No. I did not have a mullet. I have shoulder length hair with thick bangs that look a bit dated today. Then I had short spiky hair, because I did not want to perm my hair, and that was another way to go.

I am a small woman, and as such, I avoided overpowering styles, such as huge shoulder pads. However, it was virtually impossible to buy women's clothes without shoulder pads.

As far as fashion decades go, the 80s have to rank among my least favorite. Long sweaters and leggings with flat mushy slouchy, boots? Not for me.

The make up was tacky, the hairstyles could be grotesque, overly sprayed and contrived hairstyles.

As with ANY decade, there were excesses - and that is what is generally remembered - the people who dressed the most extreme. I am pretty much of an advocate of classic dressing. I will be influenced by trends - however not overtaken by them.

The eighties were a decade of excess, and thus, I was not a fan.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:31 PM

5,053 posts, read 3,394,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
I am curious about something. For men, did you have a Mullet? For women, did you have the big hair and shoulder pads? I think the 80s was the craziest decade for fashion/style for both men and women. Did you really like it?
YES, i had a mullet and my kids just die laughing when they see pictures.. heck, i wish i could grow a mullet today!

Old 01-09-2017, 03:03 PM

24,811 posts, read 24,481,102 times
I was a kid in the 80s. I remember shoulder pads, and my mom had them but usually cut them out because she has "broad shoulders." She trained me to cut them out. It wasn't always the right thing, I ended up avoiding shoulder pads, but now realize the work better for some things, but I don't like big ones now, but am not aggressive about cutting them out.

The looks I remember as an 80s kid:
lots of boys had rattails
lots of people had mullets - male and female
many girls had big hair, I had braids and big bangs once I was a tween

As for clothing? Lots of the kids clothes mirrored the adult trends. I loved my stirrup pants. They were really practical for recess. I also wore a lot of skirts with leggings underneath. And tight rolled jeans. Socks were either the lacy anklets or multiple pairs stacked to coordinate with your outfit. And lots of neon. I liked to use neon to contrast in my outfit. I also remember wearing tiered skirts and dresses.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:41 PM

389 posts, read 138,921 times
My hair was naturally "big" so no perm was necessary. But it was mostly in a French braid or Gibson girl, because I was in uniform (no big shoulder pads there).

When not in uniform, it was comfortable jeans and tee shirts, broomstick skirts, and the occasional custom tailored suit (also no huge shoulder pads).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty