U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:55 PM

13,096 posts, read 10,437,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Shoulder pads, when not too extreme, tend to flatter and increase the hourglass shape of a woman's figure.

I recall big hair was earlier than shoulder pads, though all the female country singers seem to have always had big hair.

Yes! Yes! Yes! I always loved them, very figure flattering on most.....if not, it was easy enough to take them out. I wish they would come back.

I find many of the styles now do just the opposite, even on those with a good figure to start with, very unflattering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 09:09 PM

1,322 posts, read 711,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I was a punk. I had purple hair, shaved on the sides (I'm female, BTW). Back then people literally thought you were a criminal or a degenerate when you had funny-colored hair and wore black clothes.
I was never bold enough to go that extreme, but I skirted the edges of punk and those early days of goth (in my area at least, not London). Hair shaved underneath, always hanging in my face. No shoulder pads, no stirrup pants, no hairspray ever.

Went grunge as soon as that happened.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:13 PM

2,668 posts, read 3,639,938 times
Yep. Big hair. Shoulder pads.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:16 PM

10,558 posts, read 7,296,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
But we didn't wear those IZODs with shoulder pads. And I was a girl who sported a mullet and a rattail, tied with a ribbon the same color as the bandana around my right ankle, worn over my parachute pants that were stuffed into my high-top Nikes with the tongue unlaced.
Ahh, you were one of those rocker kids. My new wave / punk friends called you guys dirt heads. 😜

Old 01-09-2017, 10:18 PM

10,558 posts, read 7,296,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Rocked the blue eyeshadow, glitter and platoon pants.

I must of been Rastah since I braided/beaded my hair. I crimped my hair once and my husband thought I had electrocuted myself... He was more preppy style .. While I just kinda mixed up my own style. I admired Cindy Lauper but no way could I pull off that much frilly clothes and makeup. I'd look like a clown.

My sons grew up wearing granimals, they still laugh at those and the underoos!
Underoos ! The underwear that's fun to wear. 😃

Old 01-09-2017, 10:37 PM

7,680 posts, read 11,160,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
Did you really like it?
Yep, lots of styles around, lots of trends to try out. You could dress like a flapper, a princess, a cowgirl, whatever, it was great!

Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 PM

31,806 posts, read 32,150,920 times
I was in elementary and middle school. So no shoulder pads, as power suits were not de rigeur for children and preteens. By the end of the 80s and early 90s, I had big, permed, crunchily moussed hair, with huge bangs, though. Cosby sweaters. Harem pants. Silk button ups. Stonewashed and acid washed denim. White Keds, layered slouch socks.

Big hair was trademark, though. Most of my classmates' yearbook pics are some variation on Kelly Bundy:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...34197be3ae.jpg

Old 01-09-2017, 10:53 PM

31,806 posts, read 32,150,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Female. I had hair as big as I could get it, considering mine is very fine and thin. No shoulder pads, though. Mini skirts, I, too had a favorite stretchy belt, navy blue panty hose, 3" cute-as-can-be sandal-style heels with matching purse. Those were the Good Old Days. 70s and early 80s.

Yep, I remember them. I didn't care for them. Do you remember the stretchy tops that buttoned at the crotch?
Bodysuits? They were basically adult-sized infant onesies.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:45 PM

3,846 posts, read 1,041,440 times
I had shoulder pads in my business suits that were big enough to land a 747 on. I also remember wearing 5" spiky, pointy-toed high heels & could run in them (much to my regret now).

My daughter was a toddler & my friend gave her some harem pants with a wild turquoise, hot pink & black modern art-style pattern on them...they were hideous, but the kid loved them & wore them everywhere...we called them her "MC Hammer pants".

Old 01-10-2017, 12:04 AM

24,173 posts, read 23,496,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I was in elementary and middle school. So no shoulder pads, as power suits were not de rigeur for children and preteens. By the end of the 80s and early 90s, I had big, permed, crunchily moussed hair, with huge bangs, though. Cosby sweaters. Harem pants. Silk button ups. Stonewashed and acid washed denim. White Keds, layered slouch socks.

Big hair was trademark, though. Most of my classmates' yearbook pics are some variation on Kelly Bundy:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...34197be3ae.jpg
I had big bangs too. Forgot about the silk shirts. Definitely stone and acid washed jeans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Bodysuits? They were basically adult-sized infant onesies.
Mom never seemed to let me get a body suite. I did get to wear leotards, and I remember one of my fave middle school outfits was my black leotard, sheer black shirt and acid washed jeans! Boy was it a pain to go to the bathroom! In retrospect, I am surprised my mom allowed that sheer shirt. I also used the leotard under a button down shirt that was unbuttoned fully or strategically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty