U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 12:17 AM

1,379 posts, read 2,225,424 times

Advertisements

I loved me some stirrup pants. I still miss them. I had short reasonable hair compared to the time period and wore shoulder pads if they were already sewn into something I was wearing. Also alot of clothes came with them sewn right in. After a few washings though they would get all bunchy and wouldn't lay flat. By then, I would just cut them out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 01:28 AM

3,654 posts, read 1,144,550 times
I was in elementary and middle school in the 80's so too young to buy my own clothes, but I did have huge bangs (hair pulled back in a banana clip), stirrup pants, jelly bracelets, and jelly shoes. Ladies remember those? They basically give your feet no support; I am glad they weren't in style for long or we'd all have huge podiatrist bills.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:51 AM

9,102 posts, read 4,564,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
I am curious about something. For men, did you have a Mullet? For women, did you have the big hair and shoulder pads? I think the 80s was the craziest decade for fashion/style for both men and women. Did you really like it?
I'm in Texas. Big hair is always in style I had the perm, big hair, huge glasses, frosted jeans, shoulder pads and Reeboks. Oh, and leg warmers, but here, we could only wear them a few weeks out of the year. I do think the 80s was the time of the most atrocious fashion ever. I loved the music though.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:09 AM

460 posts, read 138,019 times
I didn't even KNOW anybody who had a mullet.

As for the "big hair" and shoulder pads - no. And I used scissors to cut those shoulder pads out. Better saggy shoulders than running around looking like a football player.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:40 AM

3,050 posts, read 2,781,237 times
I'm a guy in my late 40s so you figured I'll be saying "back in my day" etc, but at the risk of sounding like that, I liked the bathing suits better in the 80s. Men didn't have to wear shorts that went past their knees, you could wear shorts that were much shorter than that and it was normal. I personally think I look better in those even at my current age (the more leg exposure makes my stomach look less bloated, ha ha), and you can more easily kick your legs without so much wet fabric.

As for women, I loved the string bikinis where the bottoms were "triangular" shaped, the top was 2 distinct separate "cups" and where the top and bottom matched. Or, if it was a 1-piece, it was CLEARLY a 1 piece. You do still see that sometimes but nowadays you see women wearing a pair of shorts for the bottoms, which I don't like, or the bottoms are "boy cut" which is basically same thing. You have bathing suits which are part bikini/part one-piece whereas I'm like "well which are you?" and you have (with bikinis) different colors for the top and bottom, or many times the top looks a lot like a work-out halter top. Also you're much more likely to see tattoos and piercings, neither of which I care for.

I do understand that styles change and the current generation isn't required to wear what was worn in past years, and no one has to run their fashion choices by me or anyone else (even their own age, but especially older people), but for what little bit it's worth that's what I think. Also you do still sometimes see what I call the "classic string bikini" or the "classic 1 piece," it's just not as prevalent.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:17 PM

1,092 posts, read 661,052 times
I had "Farrah Fawcett" hair and shoulder pads that made me look like a linebacker. But I think that was pretty tame after the 70's with loud colors for both sexes, wide bellbottom pants, beads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DLawHfGVgk

Old 01-10-2017, 01:38 PM

11,296 posts, read 20,684,231 times
I refused to participate. Can't even tell you how many shoulder pads I cut out of clothes. My challenge was always making my naturally curly hair smaller, not bigger!

Old 01-10-2017, 01:46 PM

9,500 posts, read 8,433,995 times
I was older, so I didn't have the extreme hair that young women and teens had. I think in the early 1980s I had one of the curly afro perms, and I looked ridiculous! After that, I don't remember teasing my hair they way I had in the 1960s.

I did wear shoulder pads, and did so as long as they were placed in the shoulders of ready to wear. I believe shoulder pads stuck around for about 10 years. They could be a pain to wear properly, so I'm glad that style went away.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:45 PM

12,483 posts, read 17,043,984 times
I had HUGE hair and absolutely loved it. The bigger, the better! I cringe looking at pictures!

Old 01-10-2017, 02:54 PM

3,271 posts, read 1,744,735 times
I was Farrah Faucett. Had to get up a whole hour earlier just to do my hair.

Daughter was Cyndy Lauper. Ditto with the extra hour to get the bangs "just right" and peg her jeans with safety pins. Her best friend was Joan Jett.

Son and DH were "Miami Vice." DH's friends told him once he looked like a cocaine dealer!

I'm glad that's all over with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty