U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:02 PM

4,306 posts, read 2,190,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I was a kid in the 80s. I remember shoulder pads, and my mom had them but usually cut them out because she has "broad shoulders." She trained me to cut them out. It wasn't always the right thing, I ended up avoiding shoulder pads, but now realize the work better for some things, but I don't like big ones now, but am not aggressive about cutting them out.

The looks I remember as an 80s kid:
lots of boys had rattails
lots of people had mullets - male and female
many girls had big hair, I had braids and big bangs once I was a tween

As for clothing? Lots of the kids clothes mirrored the adult trends. I loved my stirrup pants. They were really practical for recess. I also wore a lot of skirts with leggings underneath. And tight rolled jeans. Socks were either the lacy anklets or multiple pairs stacked to coordinate with your outfit. And lots of neon. I liked to use neon to contrast in my outfit. I also remember wearing tiered skirts and dresses.
This is just what I was gonna say. How I ended up cutting out some shoulder pads, because they looked a bit over the top, and I was only little! Who's idea was it to have massive shoulder pads in everything, in the 80s? Lol!

I had the big hair too. I had it permed, and you had to be careful because it dried your hair out terribly, as well as turning it a different colour (lighter). And a hairdresser once told me that if you used henna on your hair, and then had it permed, it would turn green!

And yes, I had all the neon things. At one point I had loads of brightly coloured jewellery, belts, socks etc. And you had to lay your makeup on really thick, to go with this garish look! Oh dear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 06:45 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,029,585 times
I had big poufy dresses with HUGE shoulder pads. Lots of hairspray, mousse and curling iron usage. I wore acid washed jeans and I had a suede and fringed jacket like the girl in Ferris Buellers Day Off.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:48 PM

5,892 posts, read 2,194,276 times
Head band, long sweater as a dress, stirrup pants, lacy ankle socks, high heels or high tops, extra big earrings like musical notes or clocks, swatch watch. Def Leppard pins on my Jean jacket.
Everything cobalt blue and black.
I loved the 80s.
When doves cry
We got the beat
Sharped dressed man

Old 01-10-2017, 06:59 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,048,662 times
I really liked the 80s - I wore a lot of silk dresses that had the large graphic type prints on them everything had shoulder pads, wore pump heels with all outfits.

Also, had big fluffy hair always had the aqua net hair spray with me.

People dressed up back then going out for the evening to a concert, dinner, dancing, etc. I really miss this.

We had a lot of fun in the 80s, danced a lot in the 70s when the Disco craze exploded and it was still around in the 80s the music was going from Disco to more Pop which was great. There were so many great artists, musicians and bands in the 80s. I just thought, the other day, what a wonderful happy time this was and glad to be part of it. Hope it comes back around again.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:18 PM

4,509 posts, read 1,854,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I didn't even KNOW anybody who had a mullet.

As for the "big hair" and shoulder pads - no. And I used scissors to cut those shoulder pads out. Better saggy shoulders than running around looking like a football player.
How about DAs. That's what we called them. Duck's Ass. The true Danny Zuko. Everything about Grease was my high school era. The cars, the clothes, the attitude.

One of the guys in my class had that Danny "stare into the camera" look in his senior class picture. The real focal point of the picture was the big ol' toothpick dangling from his mouth. I suppose he wanted to be sporting a cigarette and the school likely wouldn't let him, so he substituted a toothpick. I remember the boys "wearing" toothpicks all the time.

I'm 72. Graduated high school in '62.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:29 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,898,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Head band, long sweater as a dress, stirrup pants, lacy ankle socks, high heels or high tops, extra big earrings like musical notes or clocks, swatch watch. Def Leppard pins on my Jean jacket.
Everything cobalt blue and black.
I loved the 80s.
When doves cry
We got the beat
Sharped dressed man
I forgot about the white lacy ankle socks. Those were popular with heels, either brightly colored kitten heels or pumps.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:52 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,898,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I had big poufy dresses with HUGE shoulder pads. Lots of hairspray, mousse and curling iron usage. I wore acid washed jeans and I had a suede and fringed jacket like the girl in Ferris Buellers Day Off.
I still think that is a beautiful style of jacket, even with shoulder pads. The popular girl in Can't Buy Me Love had one like it too.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:14 PM

40,135 posts, read 32,063,370 times
Big big hair here - HUGE bangs that were all puffed up! And huge shoulder pads too.

Gigantic earrings! Lots of dark eye shadow. LOTS of socks - LOL. Layers and layers of all sorts of stuff - socks, headbands, those stretchy pony tail thingies, BANANA CLIPS, you name it.

The music was great. Music videos were really a big thing. I danced, oh my gosh, how I danced.

I actually liked a lot about the 1980s - it was a fun and colorful time with a great beat.

https://youtu.be/ZuJHx1yplIM

Old 01-10-2017, 08:18 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,105,933 times
I was a young man in my 20s in the 1980s. Many guys did have mullets, many others had the middle part over the ears layered cut pictured on the first page. I had that at times, if it was longer it was more like a John Ritter 'do.

Interesting factoid, I never heard the word "mullet" in the 80s, never heard anyone use it nor saw it anywhere, did not know of the term until I got on the Internet and saw it sometime in the late 90s.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:20 PM

14,182 posts, read 12,424,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
I really liked the 80s - I wore a lot of silk dresses that had the large graphic type prints on them everything had shoulder pads, wore pump heels with all outfits.

Also, had big fluffy hair always had the aqua net hair spray with me.

People dressed up back then going out for the evening to a concert, dinner, dancing, etc. I really miss this.

We had a lot of fun in the 80s, danced a lot in the 70s when the Disco craze exploded and it was still around in the 80s the music was going from Disco to more Pop which was great. There were so many great artists, musicians and bands in the 80s. I just thought, the other day, what a wonderful happy time this was and glad to be part of it. Hope it comes back around again.
I graduated in '71 and I totally agree.....we had so much fun. There were nightclubs everywhere and a lot of regular bars had a live band......lots of dancing and fun dressing up! Hot pants, boots, body suits....black lights, strobe lights, great music to dance to.....those were the days.

Nowadays, there are few, if any, places to go where there is dancing and they only dress up to take selfies......doesn't sound like much fun to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or