Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2017, 07:54 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,528,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is what my 3 daughters say.
Girls nowadays love their metrosexual guys. They can get pretty together in the bathroom and share exfoliation pads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 09:11 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,935,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Just out of curiosity, would you be OK if your wife decided to stop shaving? 'Cause we hate it too. Not trying to be confrontational, just curious.
Yes, in fact, I would, and I have told her so.
Her hairy legs are no worse than my somewhat hairy legs.
If she allowed the hair in her armpits to grow, it would be no more unsanitary than the hair in my armpits.
She is free to shave if she wants to, when she wants to.
Or not.
It makes no difference to me.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I had to cut it off in 2006, as I had to start wearing a sleep apnea mask, and you cannot wear a beard when wearing a mask for pressurized oxygen. The mask will not seal with a beard.
I, too, wear a sleep apnea mask. when I got it, they told me I had to shave my beard. I said no, so they gave me a nasal mask to use. I hated it, and asked for the mask that covers the nose and mouth. They again said I would have to shave. I again said no. By adjusting the harness, I am able to get a good enough seal that the CPAP machine works just fine (yes, verified by the doctor studying the telemetry printouts).
Quite often "they" are just spouting the "party line", and have no idea what the reality is!

Old 02-03-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
No we just shave our heads, and go bald on top. Makes you look younger, than a fringe and a fake look toupee.
If I hate to shave my face, why in the world would I shave my HEAD??
Yes, I am bald with a fringe around the edge. I get a hair cut and a beard trim about every three months.
NO SHAVING, EVER!
My wife jokes that all my hair fell off my head and gathered on my face.
She is happy, I am happy, the rest of the world can go out behind the barn and suck eggs!

Old 02-03-2017, 02:12 PM

1,478 posts, read 785,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
But Central Asia is predominantly muslim))))

http://news.fergananews.com/photos/2013/11/regisstt.jpg

http://sputniknews-uz.com/images/203/49/2034910.jpg

Sure the OP is not concerned with "masculinity" defined by Islam.

How about you?
Not sure what your post with linked photos are trying to communicate. Especially given one of them is a photograph of elderly Asian Muslim women.

The first photo shows a number of bearded men, from decades or centuries ago, dressed in what looks like Kaftans.

Now, I for one don't care for some of the persisting fashion styles in a good portion of the Islamic East. Like the burka, as rational a clothing style it was and is for desert heat. But there are some fashion styles in the Islamic East that are edifying, sexy, and elegant all in one.

Look at the white Sunni Islamic Queen of Morocco on the Wikipedia article on Kaftans. She looks spectacular in that elegant kaftan. Further down on that article is photograph of darker, brown skinned young woman of the 21st century wearing a modern kaftan exposing the cleavage of her large, plump breasts. The King of Morocco by the way, has photos of himself clean shaven and others bearded, dressed in Western style suits.

Men of the white West wore skirts for centuries. They adopted trousers from nomadic horsemen of the East like the Scythians. The Scythians themselves wore beards too.

Really, the issue comes down to what Redraven essentially expressed as individual preference for resolving normal hair growth on a man's face. Some will shave and others won't. I personally looooooove the feeling after a good shave. And a good aftershave applied or a lightly scented balm or use of alum block, lotion, and then good cologne.

But not every man is into that and nor do I care. I also like the way many groomed beards look. Ultimately, like hair cuts, that is a personal choice.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:35 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,919,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is what my 3 daughters say.
Do you wear a beard?

Old 02-03-2017, 08:45 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,910,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mideto View Post
Mod cut: Copyrighted material.

I swear, I can go to Walmart, the mall, a convenience store and at least 90% of guys have a beard. Most of them are patchy, don't have the right density and coverage and it simply does not suit them, it looks terrible. Yet, in their minds, they are convinced or better put, deluded that they look more handsome, more alpha, macho, masculine, etc. lmao

Notice how the "bearded" men, are the first ones to make fun of guys who shave, and call them, girls or boys, or even worse, make fun of guys who cannot grow beards. It comes from insecurity, low self esteem and feelings of inadequacy. This bearded fella doesn't realize the fact that he makes fun of clean shaven men, proves that he is insecure, which is not a manly quality.

A modern guy between 18 and 30 years old? You can bet he has some facial hair going. Almost, as if is a given. They grow their beards to prove their manliness, but it is actually having the opposite effect now.

This happens when everyone follows the same trend, it loses its appeal, it becomes a negative thing. Imagine if achieving a muscular ripped body was as easy as taking a pill, every schmook down the street would look like a fitness model, and it would completely lose the appeal it has on society, women, media, etc.

Many men say that they look better with a beard. If you look better with a beard, then I'm sorry, but it means you are ugly. The beard is covering imperfections in your face, such as double chin, recessive chin, weak jaw, scars, acne spots, fat cheeks, etc. You're basically saying "I look better with a third of my face covered"

Well I'm glad it's a trend now as it was 150 years ago. When I was very young and studying the civil war that trend was not going on and I'd grown to find the facial hair appealing. So now that it's come back again, I actually hope it will continue! Yet I don't approve of the slandering of those who don't have them--I'd prefer it to just be a trend without name-calling. Just something that came about like it appeared to be in the civil war era.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:08 AM

19,638 posts, read 20,130,445 times
I prefer some facial hair on a man, but yeah those hipster lumberjack beards are out of hand.. * Especially when that report came out about beards and fecal matter..

Old 02-08-2017, 11:54 AM

1,478 posts, read 785,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I prefer some facial hair on a man, but yeah those hipster lumberjack beards are out of hand.. * Especially when that report came out about beards and fecal matter..
The unaided human eye cannot see bacteria. In a community college biology class we once did an experiment that revealed the degree each student's hands and fingers were contaminated with bacteria. Some of the women's fingers were so full of bacteria ad decal matter it was like lots of women in America sit around all day with their fingers up their butts.

My fingers were not so bad due to the fact I tend to be cleaner than most Americans. But after that experiment my slight phobia of touching door knobs and other publicly handled things increased more. I'm still not so phobic I refuse to touch anything, but ignorance is bliss, and so knowledge of so many things covered in all sorts of species of bacteria often crosses my mind and slightly weighs on it.

The mouth of most women (and men) is a horrific place of nasty bacterial contamination. Actually, we need some of these bacteria for symbiotic relationships. And believe it or not, while a minority of bacteria profile colonizing us are shared in common by ALL HUMANS the MAJORITY of bacterial profile colonizing each individual is unique to that person. Kind of like each of us have a unique physiology. Consequently, some people are allergic to peanuts and others aren't, some respond well or even adversely to x dosage of prescribed drug and others don't. Some perfumes or colognes interacting with a person's body chemistry smells good or projects well or lasts long but on others it's doesn't to varying degrees.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:07 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,008,598 times
I am in my favorite coffee shop and a short while ago two men, one with a beard and one growing one, were engaged in a conversation about its care and maintenance, including references websites specifically devoted to beards.

The one with the full beard discussed specific product(s) he used, and how the chemical reactions affect the hairs, with the same seriousness and earnestness of a NASA engineer discussing satellite launches.

I have never heard men discuss the hair on the top of their heads that way, so why the fascination with the hair on the bottom of their heads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty