Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 01:31 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
It isn't too good for living a long life if you're over 6 feet tall! How many 90 year old basketball players do you know of? Not many, if any, because they're all dead by 90! Visit a nursing home and see how many 6'+ men you see! It's a real eye-opener! Real tall ...die young!
That is a myth unless you are talking about people with medical issues that caused them to be freakishly tall. Or you oooked at some chart/stat that included the freakishly tall of people over 7'.
Heck even then some of those guys live long lives like Richard Kiel (Jaws of 007) who was 7'5" and lived at least until his mid-70's. But most of guys that big do die young which brings down the averages. Or you are trying to extrapolate large dogs lifespans with humans? :

Many a tall famous person has lived long lives, such as James Arness (Sheriff Dillon) who was 6'7" and lived at least into his late 80's, Chuck Conners (The Rifleman) who was 6'6" and lived into his 70's and died of lung cancer from a lifetime of smoking. Same with John Wayne who also died of lung cancer from smoking.
I don't care how short or tall you are, living hard and unhealthy will shorten anyone's lifespan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
To be honest I'm not sure living into your 90's is all that great anyway especially if you are in a nursing home.

My husband comes from a family of very tall people (he is 6'7") and they have lived very long lives (into their 80's and some still living). As for professional athletes, I think a lot of them have lived very hard lives. The sport alone is hard on the athlete and then add in the alcohol, drugs and partying life style that many live can also contribute to a shorter life span. My 1st husband played for the Raiders and while he was one of the guys that didn't party/drink the sport alone has caused him many issues. He is only in his fifties and has already had hip replacement surgery. He walks like an old man now. I also think that his cognitive abilities have been impaired by so many blows to his head. So yeah....you probably aren't going to see many 90 year old athletes especially one's that played high impact sports like basketball, football, boxing, etc.
You were married to a Raider and got divorced
What is wrong with you?

Undoubtedly many tall people live into their 70's+
About the only thing I do not agree with you on is people living into their 90's even with the nursing home caveat. I know of several people personally that are alive and enjoying life in their 90's. Sure they are not gorked out like many people imagine old people might be. But they enjoy food, entertainment, politics, and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 05:25 PM

787 posts, read 644,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you're chronically single, it's not because of your height.
Because you say so, of course.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:27 PM

787 posts, read 644,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Average men's earnings increase as their height increases. High-status and high-earning men, such as corporate CEOs, are disproportionately taller than average. Women prefer to date and marry men who are taller than they are, so men who are tall are more likely to date and get married than short men.
Exactly.

Us short men are at an extreme disadvantage.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:04 PM

130 posts, read 105,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mideto View Post
I'm 5'11 barefoot and there are many times when I feel kinda short. I see so many guys and even a few girls who look taller than I do, although, it may be due to the fact that you cannot see the top of your head, so other people appear to be taller than they really are.

For example, one time I met this African American woman, who appeared to be taller than I am, but later we both stood in front of a mirror and I was taller than she was. This has happened with other people as well.

I wish I had grown to 6'1, which would be the ideal height for me, but it didn't happen. I always make sure to wear good shoes, and not flat shoes or sneakers, such as converse or Vans, in order to maximize my height as much as possible. I wouldn't wear elevator shoes, though, they are ugly, overpriced and uncomfortable.
5'10-5'11 is the ideal height for a man. Tall enough that you are taller than the national average and most women, but short enough so that you can also date the short girls too. i am five foot and wouldn't date anyone over 5'11. I tried with someone who was 6'1 but making eye contact while we were both standing up hurt our necks (at least i know it hurt mine).

Old 02-05-2017, 06:05 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Average men's earnings increase as their height increases. High-status and high-earning men, such as corporate CEOs, are disproportionately taller than average. Women prefer to date and marry men who are taller than they are, so men who are tall are more likely to date and get married than short men.
Is this still true? I mean yeah, 30 years ago this was commonly cited, but now you have all these software nerds making six figure salaries. Plus, it seems younger people are less "traditional" about who they're willing to date/marry. Just my informal observations.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:08 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Just put 1" of product in your hair to brush it up & reach your dream height.

Your welcome.
Or he could shove couple of insoles in his shoes, or better still, wear cowboy boots,
voila....instant 6' 1" ....THE perfect height.....and everyone will love ya

Old 02-06-2017, 12:46 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
5'11 is a very good height. I'm around 5'7, and while I'm content with my height, I do wish I was at least around 5'10-5'11, lol.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:25 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,708,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAborg View Post
5'10-5'11 is the ideal height for a man. Tall enough that you are taller than the national average and most women, but short enough so that you can also date the short girls too. i am five foot and wouldn't date anyone over 5'11. I tried with someone who was 6'1 but making eye contact while we were both standing up hurt our necks (at least i know it hurt mine).
I'm 6'2" and my wife is barely 5'0". We've made it work for over 30 years.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:30 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,579,094 times
I think you're the perfect height, but then, I'm a little biased! (my husband is 5'11")

Old 02-06-2017, 07:38 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mideto View Post
I'm 5'11 barefoot and there are many times when I feel kinda short. I see so many guys and even a few girls who look taller than I do, although, it may be due to the fact that you cannot see the top of your head, so other people appear to be taller than they really are.

For example, one time I met this African American woman, who appeared to be taller than I am, but later we both stood in front of a mirror and I was taller than she was. This has happened with other people as well.

I wish I had grown to 6'1, which would be the ideal height for me, but it didn't happen. I always make sure to wear good shoes, and not flat shoes or sneakers, such as converse or Vans, in order to maximize my height as much as possible. I wouldn't wear elevator shoes, though, they are ugly, overpriced and uncomfortable.
I'm 6' 1", and wear a size 13. Usually end up having to order online. Although I can always find my size shoe at Nordstrom or DSW, but I end up having to pay more.

Not sure what your size is but it's hard to save money on a size 13. They're out there, but it is usually something I do not want, and I'm better off just paying the extra money to get a pair of shoes I can live with.

I seriously doubt that it is a deal breaker for most Black women, if you're asking what I think you're asking. There aren't many Black women taller than 5' 11" anyway; in fact my wife is more like 5' 8".

Long as you're not inept dealing with women, and you're confident, gainfully employed, etc. you shouldn't have any issues with Black women. A lot of people make it into a science project, but that's a topic for a different thread.

Last edited by goofy328; 02-06-2017 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty