Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 02:46 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The last time I was in Macy's buying clothes for my granddaughter I waited so long in that department without a salesperson in sight that I called the store and asked them to send somebody down to ring up my purchases. Now that most stores only care about stockholders and profits, customer service has become non-existent.
Macy's cut back on cashier personnel years ago, though some stores in high-demand areas (SF Bay Area) are better then others. But there's no salesperson there in your dept., and she's not just in the back somewhere, for a few moments, you have to go on a quest through neighboring depts. to find someone. They're usually not hard to find, though, and I've never encountered a line. They process people pretty efficiently, IME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 03:21 PM

113 posts, read 85,854 times
Yeah I agree (and I've had similar problems with with that too at Macy's). I would much rather just buy stuff online at Macy's and have to go to the store in case I have to do a return, than to actually just do it all at the store itself.

I rarely even buy clothing in a brick and mortar store. Again it's easier for me just to have to make a special trip to return something than to go to the mall. The only exception to this for me involves buying sunglasses lol.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:22 PM

343 posts, read 726,295 times
I buy everything I need online, and outside of pharmacy, groceries, and hardware, I haven't been in a department store for at least 5 years.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:26 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
You may not want to hear the associates speech, but they also probably don't want to bother you with it either. I work in jewelry sales and I have to do more than just say hello or it's me getting in trouble. I hate it, it's annoying and I know some guests hate it. Sadly, I have to do it :/ And a lot of the time more than one person does it not knowing someone else did or because management is telling them to. The guest they mistakingly don't greet (thinking someone else did) will be the guest that wasn't greeted at all and suddenly the sales associate is no longer pushy, but ignoring them and "must not want a sale".

I don't really have much issues in stores, but I rarely go to department stores. Macy's isn't doing too hot overall. They closed a few around here. I think a lot of department stores are suffering. I do know Macy's is broken up because of sales goals for employees in individual departments (ex: shoes, jewelry).

I mostly shop online and I think a lot of people do. It's easier/more time efficient and that's why I think they (brick and mortar) are struggling. Our online sales are super strong, but some areas have had a massive drop in in-store sales.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:48 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
They also have a business model that makes shopping in store more expensive. I use ebates and get anywhere from 2-12% cash back for 95% of the stores I use. Plus, I almost always find a discount code. I don't know why they want to penalize people who go to the store.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:35 PM

50 posts, read 100,531 times
I would have been irritated as well.

If you have a coupon with a required purchase amount ($10 off 25) or for single use, going to multiple registers would not work.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:44 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
I have been buying everything on-line these days - even clothes and shoes - I know what looks good on my body and what will fit - I hate it in stores when they greet me - I know they are being forced to do it and it is not sincere - no commissions so they could care less if you buy or not - limited selection in sizes and colors - nope - on-line for me.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:14 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,144 times
I haven't had the OP's experience. If I go to a department store (usually Dillard's) to buy shoes, I'll buy them first, then continue shopping. I've never had a problem of taking my purchases and combining from other departments (say accessories over to clothes). It's a bigger sale for whoever winds up ringing me up.

I will say I hope the brick and mortar stores don't go away completely. I am petite and absolutely have to try on all of my clothes before I buy them. I also like to check out the quality of the fabric and workmanship that goes into the clothing.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:39 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
I have been buying more and more online lately! Especially if I can get free shipping!

Old 02-04-2017, 08:13 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
They also have a business model that makes shopping in store more expensive. I use ebates and get anywhere from 2-12% cash back for 95% of the stores I use. Plus, I almost always find a discount code. I don't know why they want to penalize people who go to the store.
It's not so much trying to penalize instore shoppers as to encourage them to do more of their shopping online. It's far cheaper for them to pull stuff from a whse and send it to you rather than staffing and running a brick and mortar. I don't know how much of it is actually 'going out of business' vs changing their business model. I still shop most of the same stores i used to, it's just that my mdse is now bought and paid for online with the b & m used for quick returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty