Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:28 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,972,704 times

Advertisements

Any deep jewel tone should work - especially if the colour you are speaking of is more gold than yellow. If it is more yellow, I would choose a slightly lighter hue that is the same depth as the yellow (but still going towards a jewel tone - burgundy, green, blue).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 12:18 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,946,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
The deep or navy blue sounds like it would have a very elegant look. As you've said too, it would be fairly easy for everyone to find clothes. Red is a tricky color and not everyone can wear it well. Plus different shades of red all in one place really clash to me. Different shades of blue together don't seem as glaring.
This ^^. I think a deep shade of blue would look nice & work for everyone.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:18 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,352,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
What were their original wedding colors? Maybe the others don't have to coordinate so much if they are recalling the colors of the day.
nothing really. they got married at 3am with just 2 personal witnesses and then the rest of the christmas vigil crowd (who just happened to attend the service per christmas vigil custom). they didn't really have a plan for it. it was almost like a vegas wedding--they just decided to pick on the cheapest gown mom could rent, went to church at 3am on dec. 23rd, and got married. no entourage or any color motif whatsoever. they were so broke with both of them being the eldest of their respective broods that they just decided to do a really simple wedding at the cheapest schedule they could get--at a christmas vigil dawn service. they're probably the only people who have done that lol they wanted to avoid having to throw an expensive wedding for both of their families, plus the reception afterward. after the wedding, they just served hot chocolate and sweet sticky rice per our country's customary breakfast offerings during christmas time to whoever among their families came to their apartment for the reception.

since there is only one living person (a grand-aunt) left who witnessed that wedding, no one else in the family had much participation in the wedding except for those who made it to the breakfast reception. my parents didn't even have either of my grandparents during that wedding. both sets of grandparents only made it to the breakfast reception

Old 02-15-2017, 08:09 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,317,916 times
Since you are not a fan of red, I still think green would be a better choice than blue when pairing with gold, especially darker shades of green.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Since you are not a fan of red, I still think green would be a better choice than blue when pairing with gold, especially darker shades of green.
dark green is also in the running. just have to consider which one would make it easiest for people to find outfits for.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,164 times
What about white? Is there a cultural reason to not wear it? (I know that it's considered to be poor manners to wear white as a guest in America and Europe) We had ivory and gold as our wedding colors. My bridesmaids wore gold dresses and the maid of honor wore an ivory suit.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
my parents are renewing their vows for their 50th anniversary by december, and are planning on re-wearing the outfits (already gold in color, but not metallic; more like deep yellow) they wore for my brother's wedding two years ago. my concern is what the rest of the immediate family should wear color wise. we're not doing the full-on church wedding. we're planning on an intimate vow renewal at the place of reception, with no entourage or whatsoever to focus the costs on the catering and venue.

what colors would best complement gold/deep yellow? im veering toward navy/deep blue (non metallic as much as possible). i'm also thinking of something that would make it easy for the rest of the family to find outfits in the color we would agree on. we thought of letting my parents be the focus for the gold, while the rest of the family wear something that would enhance that gold color.

other thoughts?
I fail to see why you would need to coordinate your dress this closely. The focus should be on your parents, not the family. Why not allow people to choose what they want to wear themselves, whether color coordinated or not?I mean, there might be cost issues for some. And who needs an worn once bridesmaid dress lurking in her closet? I assume this is to be a happy occasion? Why make it pressure filled for the family members? No one will care what the family wears, trust me.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I fail to see why you would need to coordinate your dress this closely. The focus should be on your parents, not the family. Why not allow people to choose what they want to wear themselves, whether color coordinated or not?I mean, there might be cost issues for some. And who needs an worn once bridesmaid dress lurking in her closet? I assume this is to be a happy occasion? Why make it pressure filled for the family members? No one will care what the family wears, trust me.

the very reason why i want the immediate family members to wear a certain color to highlight my parents' gold/deep yellow outfits, and not clash with that color.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
What about white? Is there a cultural reason to not wear it? (I know that it's considered to be poor manners to wear white as a guest in America and Europe) We had ivory and gold as our wedding colors. My bridesmaids wore gold dresses and the maid of honor wore an ivory suit.

there will be no entourage whatsoever. just my parents, immediate family members and a few of their close friends. most people tend to avoid white for such occasions back home, and white is not as easy to find outfits for either. a lot of guests will be travelling in too, which make it harder to pack white outfits for.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:44 AM

50,310 posts, read 63,868,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
my parents are renewing their vows for their 50th anniversary by december, and are planning on re-wearing the outfits (already gold in color, but not metallic; more like deep yellow) they wore for my brother's wedding two years ago. my concern is what the rest of the immediate family should wear color wise. we're not doing the full-on church wedding. we're planning on an intimate vow renewal at the place of reception, with no entourage or whatsoever to focus the costs on the catering and venue.

what colors would best complement gold/deep yellow? im veering toward navy/deep blue (non metallic as much as possible). i'm also thinking of something that would make it easy for the rest of the family to find outfits in the color we would agree on. we thought of letting my parents be the focus for the gold, while the rest of the family wear something that would enhance that gold color.

other thoughts?
You are telling the guests what colors to wear? How come? If you mean you want to color code the immediate family for a group picture, i guess that makes sense.
Navy or black would probably be easy for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty