U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2017, 02:59 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,842 posts, read 28,069,941 times
Reputation: 25942

Advertisements

Update:
I think this new routine is super effective.

Tonight I got all dolled up and put on makeup. I used some powder and a bit of concealer. The powder seemed to do nothing, I looked more even than I have been since about age 18 w/o makeup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2017, 09:45 AM
 
Location: 500 miles from home
27,025 posts, read 14,959,134 times
Reputation: 20752
I saw this tutorial on Korean skin care a while back but it seemed to involve like 10 applications of some moisturizing toner??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2017, 04:49 PM
 
37,996 posts, read 18,888,646 times
Reputation: 12076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I saw this tutorial on Korean skin care a while back but it seemed to involve like 10 applications of some moisturizing toner??
Asians focus skin health first with very good skin hydration, what they call a honey skin. Although Americans seem to focus more on makeup application to hide our flaws. The Korean skin care is below.

1. Cleanse with oil based cleanser,
2. Cleanse with water based cleanser,
3. Exfoliate
4. Toner
5. Essence / Ampules
6. Moisturize
7. Sunblock

You are referring to the 7 layers using a hydrating toner, patted on and layered in succession. The idea behind the 7 layers is that the moisture level of skin can be increased in an effective way without the heaviness or greasiness that may come from traditional creams and oils.

http://oliviapalermo.com/the-korean-7-skin-method/

I naturally have dry skin and found it works well. I have to be careful with the actives but the routines help my skin from becoming angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2017, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,842 posts, read 28,069,941 times
Reputation: 25942
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Asians focus skin health first with very good skin hydration, what they call a honey skin. Although Americans seem to focus more on makeup application to hide our flaws. The Korean skin care is below.

1. Cleanse with oil based cleanser,
2. Cleanse with water based cleanser,
3. Exfoliate
4. Toner
5. Essence / Ampules
6. Moisturize
7. Sunblock

You are referring to the 7 layers using a hydrating toner, patted on and layered in succession. The idea behind the 7 layers is that the moisture level of skin can be increased in an effective way without the heaviness or greasiness that may come from traditional creams and oils.

The Korean

I naturally have dry skin and found it works well. I have to be careful with the actives but the routines help my skin from becoming angry.
I am doing most of these steps and have been all year. My routine looks like this:
1. Oil cleanser
2. Gel cleanser (most days)
2a. Mask in the shower
3. Hydrating toner
4. Oil serum
5. Eye cream
6. Essence
6a. Overnight mask (1-2x a week)
7. Sunblock

7 applications is likely too much for me. But the essence step and the oil
Serum have really killed my dryness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,842 posts, read 28,069,941 times
Reputation: 25942
Thought I’d update again. I am finding for me, more is more. I have gotten a bit drier lately so I am adding inneven more moisturizing treatments and steps. And they seem to be working.

I have continued using the double lotion, and the custom oil serum.

I have tried a few different oil cleansers and some I like better than others. I have two I like at Sephora now.

If I have an extra 5 minutes in the shower in the morning, I will do a mask.

I stopped the peel because I ran out and the other stuff I have seems to be fine for exfoliating.

I am still looking for the right miceller water. I have ordered one and I will try it. I have a treatment one with AHAs and that may be a little too much for daily use for me.

I am about to try I specified regimen of actives to see if I can beat the old dark spots once and for all.

All in all I am happy with my modified Korean routine. It really has made a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 09:52 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,460 posts, read 13,967,877 times
Reputation: 9596
Wow, Jade, I'll have to follow your topic. This is more information than I can analyze right now. I'm pretty sure I can add some of your routines to mine. (Just Retinol right now.)

I know for sure I have to add something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2018, 06:17 PM
 
5,997 posts, read 6,489,633 times
Reputation: 8278
Wow, I don't do anything special on a daily basis, and people really do think I'm at least 15 years younger than I am.

All these routines remind me of how lucky I am to have good genes....and make me wonder how much younger I'd look if I really DID use all the lotions/potions and cleaners/toners you all have talked about.

Do you all really think all that is necessary to look as good as you do?

I just rinse my face with water every morning. I might use Neutrogena bar soap once a month. And I might use a masque or scrub three or four times a year. When I do, do more it might be put some witch hazel on a cotton ball to wipe my face. That's it.

I'm not knocking your routines. I just marvel that people use so many products and put so many chemicals on their face everyday. Given that many, if not most most, products have -- what -- 10 or so ingredients?...that's a lot of stuff concentrated on one part of your skin. That's all.

(Not to mention the money that's spent. The beauty/skin care industry is a multi-BILLion-dollar business, all centered around something a superficial as looks. Not superficial as in being dismissive. But as in not as important as who a person is at their core, on the inside.)

Last edited by selhars; 09-03-2018 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2018, 06:32 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,460 posts, read 13,967,877 times
Reputation: 9596
I think part of the problem is that cosmetics and makeup cause problems that require more personal care products to control or counteract the damage caused by the cosmetics. I'm a man and I have only a rudimentary understanding of women's cosmetics.

My interest is to just have a healthy good looking complexion. In my experimentation with personal care products this year it has become abundantly clear to me that everybody (not just women) can benefit from at least some personal care products.

It's a no-brainer that everybody should use sun screen if they expect to be in serious sunlight. Many of reach our 40s and 50s discover damage and wish we had used sun screen when we were young.

I discovered years ago that my exfoliating scrub I use a few times a week (Neutrogena) improves the appearance and feel of my facial skin.

Upon testing various products this year I've discovered that a moisturizer is important to me, and I'm sure many of us didn't need such products when younger, but later in life we discover we do need them.

I'm looking for a minimal routine that covers the important parts. I think that no routine is not a good idea except for exceptional people. (I guess that's a repetitious redundancy.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2018, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,842 posts, read 28,069,941 times
Reputation: 25942
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Wow, I don't do anything special on a daily basis, and people really do think I'm at least 15 years younger than I am.

All these routines remind me of how lucky I am to have good genes....and make me wonder how much younger I'd look if I really DID use all the lotions/potions and cleaners/toners you all have talked about.

Do you all really think all that is necessary to look as good as you do?

I just rinse my face with water every morning. I might use Neutrogena bar soap once a month. And I might use a masque or scrub three or four times a year. When I do, do more it might be put some witch hazel on a cotton ball to wipe my face. That's it.

I'm not knocking your routines. I just marvel that people use so many products and put so many chemicals on their face everyday. Given that many, if not most most, products have -- what -- 10 or so ingredients?...that's a lot of stuff concentrated on one part of your skin. That's all.

(Not to mention the money that's spent. The beauty/skin care industry is a multi-BILLion-dollar business, all centered around something a superficial as looks. Not superficial as in being dismissive. But as in not as important as who a person is at their core, on the inside.)
I would have stopped if I didn’t notice a dicernible difference. My skin, while decent before, looks a lot better now. I don’t bother with face makeup except for the dressiest of ocassions. And I need even less than I used to.

I also eliminated most of my periodic dry patches. All of these layers of moisturizer are making a difference.

I used to do cleanser, serum and sunscreen only. Now I’ve added 2 more steps of light moisturing, some ocassional face masks and about 5 minutes to my routine. It turned out to be 5 minutes well spent.

The new process has also made the biggest dent in my lingering dark spots that weren’t going away before. My skin easily experiences hyperpigmentation. 50% of my zits leave a spot,somInhave to stay vigilant about avoiding them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2018, 08:20 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,460 posts, read 13,967,877 times
Reputation: 9596
I hope I'm not out of line, but I will appreciate if somebody would recommend a simple and inexpensive facial moisturizer I can use on any schedule. I'm currently using a Retinol cream and a Pycnogenol cream, sort of at random. Ex, I used the Pycnogenol after shaving and before gym because it's cheaper than the Retinol. I'll use the Retinol after my before sleep shower tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:04 AM.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top