Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 05:06 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,737,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think its coming full circle, so that soon unpierced ears and untattooed bodies will be "in".
Yeah, I am "in"! I have no piercings and no tattoos, and no desire to get either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 05:43 PM

37,478 posts, read 45,740,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I, too, discovered that I had a nickel allergy. Interesting that it happens after a piercing. I just figured I always had it and only discovered it when I tried to wear "surgical steel" earrings.

I, too, can only wear 14 karat yellow gold and higher as well as sterling silver.

Another metal I discovered that I could wear without any difficulty is titanium. Have you tried that?

OTOH, my daughter never had a problem with metal allergies, despite having gotten her ears pierced.

My mother never got her ears pieced. My grandfather told her that he thought it was a barbaric practice so my mother followed his thinking. She only wore clip-on earrings. When she died, she had a huge collection of them. My Dad asked all the female relatives in the extended family if they wanted them. No one took them since we all had pierced ears.

When I was 14, my mother finally said I could get my ears pierced. She wouldn't take me to a doctor (at the time that was considered the best way to get it done). Instead, my Dad had a co-worker who would pierce ears for others. She came to the house with a huge sewing needle and a piece of cork. One of my earlobes made a popping noise like the sound of a balloon bursting which made my mother cry. My earlobes, as a result of non-professional piercing, ended up being uneven. The hole on my left ear sits a little higher than the right one.
Yes I mentioned in my post that I did find a watch company that uses only titanium metal, and I have no problems with those.

Many people develop nickel allergies as a result of piercing; it's fairly common.

I was not allowed to pierce mine until I turned 18.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:48 PM

37,478 posts, read 45,740,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Nickel irritates my ears in adulthood. It never did as a child, and I was about seven when I had my ears pierced. It's generally only in the past ten years that I've noticed a sensitivity in my ears when I wear something other than sterling earwires (I don't wear gold). It's not severe, just enough that I notice it if I wear earrings that have nickel wires. I still wear them, if I like the earrings. I've not noticed any other contact dermatitis elsewhere, but I rarely wear other jewelry. My wedding and engagement rings are white gold, and don't bother me at all. It's just an increased sensitivity in my ear piercings that's cropped up in adulthood.
Mine is a complete allergy. No nickel, anywhere. Necklaces, anklets, bracelets, toe rings. I've tried 'em all. I break out within 4 hours. I even have to cover the skin-side of jean rivets, and any sort of metal fasteners that may touch my skin. It's annoying for sure. And it was definitely due to piercing.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 02-15-2017 at 06:44 PM..

Old 02-15-2017, 05:51 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,235,190 times
Well I do, but I have some vintage clip-ons. I can only stand them for short periods of time! I'm really glad my ears are pierced.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:13 PM

6,974 posts, read 4,833,805 times
I tried wearing clip-ons ONCE - and said that was it. So I got my ears pierced when I was about 25 or so. They didn't heal and didn't heal, and finally a friend gave me a 14K gold plated pair and my ears healed up just fine. I still don't like wearing anything that isn't silver or gold, but I can do it.

The funny thing is, I think I wear earrings maybe once a month and the holes have never closed up. I'd have the repierced if they did.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:47 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,306,579 times
Never got mine pierced either. Not a fan of small earrings. I prefer larger vintage jewelry.
Also dangly things and long hair and felines don't mix well.

I do have some of these somewhere. Its been a while since I dressed up.

https://www.google.com/search?q=over...rrite+Earrings

Old 02-15-2017, 08:22 PM

189 posts, read 175,636 times
I don't have pierced ears. Don't like permanent modifications to my body (so no tattoos either) and generally don't wear jewelry or even make up! I think I'm just happy with the way I look, my husband already thinks I'm beautiful, and I'm too lazy to impress anyone else.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,003,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Almost every woman of my age or so has pierced ears. I don't know how you buy earrings if you don't have pierced ears. We used to have to hunt for earrings for my mom who never got hers pierced.

I and my sisters all got our ears pierced, but I think we were older when we had it done. I was in college. I bought earrings that gradually pierced through the earlobe.

One of my lobes is pulled a bit but I don't care. I've worn pierced earrings now for over 60 years and I've never had medical problems with them.

When my generation began piercing their ears, it was sort of rebellious and an act of solidarity with other young women, I think. Our mothers did not usually have pierced ears. It is amazing to me how quickly pierced ears became standard for almost all women. Perhaps now, those who don't pierce their ears are the rebels!
I have worn pierced earrings for over 50 years, not 60!

Old 02-16-2017, 02:13 AM

3,236 posts, read 2,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Curious about this, since it seems all-pervasive.

Ever since I was a kid, the idea of it creeped me out, so I never did. I always imagined earrings getting caught on something, or some attacker yanking them out. I admit they look good though.

Anyone else?
If they get caught on something they just pop off. It's happened to me and it's no big deal. They aren't screwed on, unless they are very valuable diamonds.

I've never heard of an attacker yanking earrings, but again, they would just pop off.

I've only ever known one woman without pierced ears. She thinks her ears stick out too much and doesn't want to call any attention to them so her ears are always covered with hair.

Many little girls have their ears pierced either when they are infants or by 6 or 8 years old. That's my experience anyway.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:19 AM

3,236 posts, read 2,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think its coming full circle, so that soon unpierced ears and untattooed bodies will be "in".
I don't see ear piercing going of out of style. They're just so much more comfortable and women have been doing it for many centuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty