Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:43 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This must be the disconnect. I'm 5'10", wear a size ten shoe, and the last thing I want is a shoe that ELONGATES my foot in any way. Rounded toes all the way, please. I don't need any elongation factor at work.
Exactly. I wear an 8 1/2, and there is no way I want a shoe that makes my foot look any longer!! I hate pointy toed shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 12:09 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninejoy View Post
You'll go through more stockings but the 2-sided modesty tape works great at keeping feet and shoes together until you want to separate them. I love heels but never felt confident walking in them until I learned this trick. Once I learned the trick walking in heels was so much easier. I'm a public speaker and shoes falling off while I'm on stage is not the look I want.

I have a few pair of pointy toed shoes but I trip in them because they stick out further than I am used to.
Ha...I am so out of the heels loop it isn't funny. New Balance has walking shoes made on an SL-2 last that work perfectly. I also have become a fan of Vionics. The heels are a little floppy, but the heel cup works so well that I don't care and with good socks I don't walk out of them. Yeah, on top of if all the width issues...I got diagnosed with a very painful heel issue called fat pad atrophy. The cell walls of the fat cells are breaking down, so with each step the fat that pads your bones squishes out to the side. So you are literally walking on your bones. I have to wear a heel cup and very supportive shoes now. Usually it's in the upper foot.

And even worse....Acorn spa slippers. Feet look like monster boots. But no pain. That pain was ghastly, and there's nothing that can be done. They are in the testing phase of a technique where they lipo fat from you somewhere and inject it back into your foot. I hope it works. But then I also want to be first in line when they start testing that stem cell treatment to grow the cilia back in your ears so I can hear again and that darn ringing goes away....

Old 02-18-2017, 01:35 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
OK I have to ask because I really don't understand this. Why do you like pointy toes? Our feet our not that shape, toes get squashed and they are uncomfortable. Please explain
Pointy toed shoes look dressier. I even grabbed a feminine wingtip inspired shoe. Extra long. I prefer a pointy shoe, but I have come around to some round ones. My big toe is also about 3/4 if an inch bigger than the rest of my toes. It gives me even more space for a point show, but they should by wide at the widest point of your foot.

The last pair of pointy shoes I got were taupe suede loafers!

Old 02-18-2017, 05:15 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Pointy toed shoes look dressier. I even grabbed a feminine wingtip inspired shoe. Extra long. I prefer a pointy shoe, but I have come around to some round ones. My big toe is also about 3/4 if an inch bigger than the rest of my toes. It gives me even more space for a point show, but they should by wide at the widest point of your foot.
I'm with Tabula on this one. As another giant-footed lady (although a size ten is too small for me), I think the pointed toe starts to look less dressy and more witch-like?

Old 02-18-2017, 05:29 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I'm with Tabula on this one. As another giant-footed lady (although a size ten is too small for me), I think the pointed toe starts to look less dressy and more witch-like?

I'm with you and the other women here. Size 10 and there is no way I want a longer shoe, lol. I was shopping for sneakers yesterday and they now have all these shoes that have memory faom inside and they are very flat. They look like boats

Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Although I.T. has grown up wealthy, so presumably is familiar with good quality, the fabrics were cheap - polyester, not silk. Although I.T. is slender, the clothes were mostly unfitted and baggy, as if for overweight people. Although I.T. is very youthful, the fabric patterns weren't youthful at all, a lot of matronly-looking florals.
I bought a couple Ivanka Trump dresses this summer. Both were sleeveless, knee-length fitted sheaths -- not baggy at all. One was a solid color, a deep purply-blue with a gold accent at the neckline. The other was a bold geometric black and white pattern. I thought both dresses were classy-looking and suitable for the professional engagement I needed a dress for. The fabrics WERE a polyester, but a thick, double-weight poly. Not cheap. The construction looked good and high quality.

I wound up taking both dresses back because I went with a different option, but my impression off the dresses was positive. I don't know anything about the rest of her line. I understand it is varied -- dresses, blouses, shoes, jewelry, etc.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:10 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
OK I have to ask because I really don't understand this. Why do you like pointy toes? Our feet our not that shape, toes get squashed and they are uncomfortable. Please explain
you can cram your big toe under your other toes in order to shove your foot further into the pointy end of the shoe

Old 02-18-2017, 07:58 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
you can cram your big toe under your other toes in order to shove your foot further into the pointy end of the shoe

I do hope you're joking. My mother and I both wore pointy toed shoes, although she wore them for many more years than I did. She now has hammertoes and the beginning of a bunion. She never had pretty feet but now they're pretty awful. My second toe is longer than my first toe so I always had to buy a half size bigger on pointy toed shoes. These days I wear kitten heels or ballet flats but since my foot is kind of small I like the way my feet look in a pointy toe.

Back to the subject - I haven't seen Ivanka's clothes but I really hate when a designer takes little interest in the clothing they are wanting people to buy except for putting their name on them to make money. If my name was on fashion clothes there would be no polyester and no cheap looking fabrics, zippers, etc. Years ago (late 70's, early 80's) having a Gucci purse was all the rage (I think it was Gucci - I could be mistaken). I looked at one in the store and it wasn't even leather, it felt like some kind of plastic/pleather material but it had their logo on it so they were asking around $100 which was a lot of money for a purse back then.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:21 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I think they look terrible regardless of the size of shoe.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:54 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
You're wearing them wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty