Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:04 PM

38 posts, read 38,450 times

Advertisements

Im looking for a blazer for my upcoming biz meeting. I don't want to wear suit as I didn't like wearing top to bottom same. So want to look professional but not too much...
Was it for couple of days so don't want to burn my wallet.
As I check diff brands as with any product I see price range from 100USD(armani exchange ) to 2000usd (hugo boss)...

Can you please tell me the brand which is most recognized and doesn't make me homeless
But still comfortable n makes me stand out.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 10:14 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
I have some really nice blazers, but I got them all at Kohl's crazy cheap during sales, Gabes, or Goodwill with the tags still on them. I refuse to pay retail for a blazer.
I don't pay attention to the brand, you can just tell the quality when you look at it and try it on.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:18 PM

190 posts, read 247,028 times
$100-200 is unbelievable tbh (too expensive). You can go to Kohls, Target, clearance at mall like Macys, etc just to get a good quality blazer without overspending. Try thrift stores and garage sales - as long as it does not look dated, still in good condition, etc than it should be good and you dont have to overspend either.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:02 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
I have two navy blazers. One is from Lands End on sale that is wool but great wool fabric as it travels well and doesn't wrinkle. Still after many years, looks great. Got a Brooks Brothers wool top level on Ebay. Same thing as it looks great and great fabric. I just a month ago got a great mark down on a navy Ralph Lauren corduroy blazer from Macy's mail order. With tax and shipping was just a little over $100. I keep clothes for a long time and a good blazer never goes out of style.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:51 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukku335 View Post
Im looking for a blazer for my upcoming biz meeting. I don't want to wear suit as I didn't like wearing top to bottom same. So want to look professional but not too much...
Was it for couple of days so don't want to burn my wallet.
As I check diff brands as with any product I see price range from 100USD(armani exchange ) to 2000usd (hugo boss)...

Can you please tell me the brand which is most recognized and doesn't make me homeless
But still comfortable n makes me stand out.
Thanks
The best choice for you is probably Brooks Brothers (or one of the online stores like Suitsupply, Indochina, Bonobos, etc.). At $200, you're buying an inexpensive blazer--but you should be able to get a decent one. Take it to a good tailor for adjustments. A good fit is more important than a recognizable label.

I gather from your post that you are young, but the setting should determine how casual the coat should look. In a more formal setting, wool is probably more appropriate with a more conservative color/pattern choice.

Try:

Men's Fitzgerald Fit Brown Herringbone Sport Coat | Brooks Brothers

or:

Men's Extra Slim Fit Two-Button Wool Sport Coat | Brooks Brothers

I reiterate: fit is critical. Make sure you know your size & take the coat to a good tailor for adjustment. There's no substitute for this process, even though it adds expense. Spending a little more for a quality garment that fits will ultimately save you money. An ill-fitting polyester coat is going to look bad now and you won't want to wear it in 5 years. A wool coat will last you many years with inexpensive care.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinglyme22 View Post
$100-200 is unbelievable tbh (too expensive). You can go to Kohls, Target, clearance at mall like Macys, etc just to get a good quality blazer without overspending. Try thrift stores and garage sales - as long as it does not look dated, still in good condition, etc than it should be good and you dont have to overspend either.
I disagree with this. The quality of a blazer from Kohls or Target will not be good and it would be noticeable.

Try these sites:

Women's Blazers & Casual Jackets | Lands' End

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1161...classic-blazer

Women's Blazers | Nordstrom

Calvin Klein Glen Plaid Notch Lapel Long Sleeve Single Button Jacket | Dillards

I trust the quality of Bean first, and LE second, I think. But Nordstroms and Dillards offer more fashion forward items, in varying price points.

I once owned a Bean red wool blazer that I must have worn for almost 10 years. I finally got rid of it because of the padded shoulders. I think I should have kept it! Padded shoulders are coming back in style. That blazer was a workhorse for me for many winters.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:05 PM

219 posts, read 162,950 times
Try Kohls or Department stores. They tend to have a wide variety. Also, try Men's Warehouse if you have one near you they have a pretty good variety that is on trend.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:08 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
LL Bean or Land's End for a nice, classic blazer.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:19 AM

1,478 posts, read 788,314 times
The fit is more important.

The quality of the blazer is important too.

If you're short and/or slim then department stores are probably not going to be of much help to you.

Your $ sign symbol behind 200 along with your questions and statement about suits (or what's being left out the equation) shows some lack of attention to detail. Not that I'm the best at attention to detail because I doubt I am. But attention to detail is important to what you choose to wear on an important day as much as simply putting on a blazer or a suit.

Nothing wrong with wearing different color pants from your jacket and matching things together from separate pieces in your closet. That can actually look very good, dapper, and communicate initiative and other positive things to people around you.

But in doing so other things matter, too, such as your choice in pants and footwear. I'm one that thinks socks can matter too. If you wear a belt that will matter as well. Your haircut et cetera.

Getting back to the fit of the blazer (or sports coat). Usually you will need to have the jacket tailored after you purchase it off the rack. But here is the thing. You need to buy one that fits your body size to begin with. If you are slim and buy a jaket that is too wide you are pretty much in a tight position when you take it to a tailor. It will either cost too much money or they will have a limit to the degree they can tailor it or both.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:52 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,037 times
The OP is a man. So no references to women's clothing. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty