U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 11:48 AM

72,664 posts, read 64,111,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Now that we have the no-pierced ears issue settled, I am emboldened to press on and see if anyone has totally foregone manicures and pedicures? Not excluding you men, but y'know.....

As usual, I'm the weirdo that has never had either. Just.....doesn't interest me.

Girls, are you out there?
You're not a weirdo. It's quite common to not have ever had mani/Pedi's, and to have no use for them. It seems they've become kind of the new marketing fad; more salons than ever have opened, and the "industry", such as it is, is trying to convince women this is something that's part of regular good grooming, like getting your hair cut.

None of my female friends or relatives has ever had even a mani, let alone a pedi. I think there are entire universities full of women who have never had them; I'm talking about the faculty. There are many professions where women don't do fluff. I think women who get that service are probably in the minority, though industry and to some extent, the media, would have you believe otherwise. Don't fall for marketing propaganda, OP.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-05-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 11:58 AM

10,388 posts, read 7,467,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Never had either one.
Ditto

Old 03-05-2017, 07:52 PM

2,276 posts, read 924,043 times
I've painted my own nails maybe a handful of times when I was a pre-teen/teen. Most of those times, it was a wild color like bright purple or orange, lol. I never had to get the fake nails because my own grow long and are decent. I just keep them trimmed and file them; I have never had a professional manicure in my life.

I've never had a pedicure either. My feet are rather ugly, anyhow. They are bony and my toes are webbed, lol. I've never worn the type of shoes that show them off.

The last time I was in a salon was when I was around 10 and my grandmother decided that it would be cool to amp up my natural waves by perming my hair. That was in 1980 so it's been a few years

I dye my own hair to cover the grey that's been annoying me since my early 20's. It's rare that I wear makeup; people get surprised when I do wear it. They would lose it if I were to ever wear a dress.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:52 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,749,487 times
I never have. But I do think salons do a much better job than I do myself.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:26 AM

6,495 posts, read 2,236,855 times
I've never had a mani/pedi. I've always just done my own nails and once a friend did it and she filed down the side of my nail and it cut the skin, ouch... I do my own nails and it looks just the same as friends that have gone to the salon. I guess it is the pampering that you are paying for and just relaxing, socializing with the girls.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:12 PM

1,804 posts, read 772,436 times
I have had both. I like them, but costs too much to do regularly when I can paint my own. I get it done before vacation/weddings or if I feel like treating myself.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:24 PM

33,134 posts, read 39,078,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yeah, I wonder about the 80-somethings who probably can't reach their toes. Do they send pedicure teams to nursing homes to trim toenails? With age toenails can get yellow, thick, crumbly, curly, ingrown and just....yuck! Not to mention the dreaded fungus!

For seniors some one has to do it,the person who clips my nails charges $25 and i give a $5 tip, she does 3 customers per hour.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:13 PM

324 posts, read 136,163 times
Neither. I used to wear nail polish in junior high and high school but now it just seems odd to me to apply color to my fingernails. Same for toes. I would feel really strange about having someone bend over my feet and "work" on them. Along the same lines, I have pierced ears and used to wear earrings but after thinking about it, punching holes in a portion of my anatomy and inserting jewelry through them seemed like some kind of strange tribal custom.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:36 PM

1,389 posts, read 544,774 times
I've never had a manicure or pedicure because I'm not interested. I don't like long fingernails because they get in my way. I keep them very short. I used to wear nail polish, but they made my nails split, so I stopped.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:58 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,548,358 times
I get a mani-pedi monthly, and have since 1995 or so. For some years before that, I got them more sporadically, for special occasions and such.

ETA: Some people upthread seem to think that a salon manicure necessarily means having acrylic nails applied. It doesn't. In fact, the place I currently frequent is a natural nails-only salon.

Last edited by katenik; 04-05-2017 at 04:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty