U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 07:55 AM

51,289 posts, read 50,539,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I did not have either until I was in my 40's. I do not get them often but a couple times a year is a nice splurge for me.
Same for me. I was also in my 40s, but that was around the time it began to be a thing. There were always manicures available in normal beauty salons, but there weren't all these separate nail shops until the 90s. I only go occasionally, usually if I got a gift card or my daughter is visiting and wants to go. I type all the time, so there's no point unless I get the gel manicures, and then they wreck your nails pretty badly.

Back around 1990, my mother-in-law, a very practical woman who grew up on a farm in Maine, came to town for the wedding of the son of her best friend. My MIL lost a thumb and forefinger feeding logs into a saw when she was 14. It didn't hinder her at all. She could type well and she knitted and did needlepoint.

The mother of the groom talked her into going with her to get her hair done that morning, and then suggested she get a manicure, too. My MIL had always done her own nails, so she said to the young woman doing her hair, "How much is the manicure?" The answer was "Ten dollars." My MIL said, "Hmm, that's a dollar a finger, right?" The girl laughed and said, "I guess so." My MIL held up her hand and said, "So I should only pay EIGHT, right?" The poor thing stammered and stuttered and didn't know what to say. My MIL just laughed and said she would do her own nails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 03:01 PM

30,445 posts, read 9,097,651 times
I take care of my own hands/feet/ fingernails/toenails.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:31 AM

619 posts, read 324,208 times
I get Manis every now and then, and if I have an event coming up. I used to get regular Mani but now if I get them professionally done, I get the gel (look nicer For longer)

I never had a pedicure

Old 02-19-2018, 02:42 PM

347 posts, read 132,637 times
I get a mani/pedi if I'm going away and will be wearing sandals or going barefoot. Otherwise I just get a mani a few times a year. It's inexpensive and a nice treat for me to have 30 minutes down time!

Old 02-19-2018, 09:16 PM

439 posts, read 824,276 times
Never had one and never will. I have better things to do with my time and money.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:18 PM

439 posts, read 824,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
To me, those long fake nails look so unsanitary. Imagine the stuff living under there.
And natural ones are even worse. Long nails are absolutely disgusting. They are as hideous as long toenails. They make me want to puke. There is nothing "beautiful" about them.

I don't understand women's fascination with something that gross.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:27 PM

1,062 posts, read 352,100 times
When living in Phoenix, I used to get manicures /pedicures a lot, since many women wear open toed shoes year around. Now that Iíve moved, not so much.

Iíve seen people of all ages getting them, from little girls to seniors. The biggest surprise was seeing this big burly guy who looked like a linebacker, sitting in the chair next to mine to get a pedicure.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:38 AM

25,387 posts, read 24,162,302 times
I've had a manicure once. It was in 1997, for my seeing to my first husband. I have never had a pedicure.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:02 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,116,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I've had a manicure once. It was in 1997, for my seeing to my first husband. I have never had a pedicure.

What do you mean, "Seeing to your first husband"?

About 10 years ago, it got difficult for me to SEE my toenails well enough to trim them. Too far for reading glasses to work, too close for my good middle/distance vision to kick in. I guess that's why nursing homes have aids do this odious task.

I am impressed at the retirees here who still bother to paint their nails regularly. 'Cause you know, they've kinda let other stuff "go"! Plus, it's ultra-casual around here.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:54 PM

51,289 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
What do you mean, "Seeing to your first husband"?

About 10 years ago, it got difficult for me to SEE my toenails well enough to trim them. Too far for reading glasses to work, too close for my good middle/distance vision to kick in. I guess that's why nursing homes have aids do this odious task.

I am impressed at the retirees here who still bother to paint their nails regularly. 'Cause you know, they've kinda let other stuff "go"! Plus, it's ultra-casual around here.
I suspect it was "wedding" and was mistyped and autocorrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty