U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 06:51 AM

9,109 posts, read 3,927,959 times

Advertisements

I do my own manicure & pedicure most of the time. I'm assuming when you say mani/pedi you mean, soaking, pushing back the cuticles, trimming any overgrown cuticle, etc. not just slapping polish on?

I've heard people say if you never cut your cuticles they won't grow back thick but since I've been doing the pushing back & cutting since I was in my early 20's I wouldn't know. I put acrylics on about 6 months ago because my fingernails were splitting. I don't have to worry about touch-ups or polish chipping for 2-3 weeks. I do my actual manicure the night before my appointment with my nail tech. Once in awhile I will get a professional pedicure but I feel weird having someone do mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 07:03 AM

1,931 posts, read 1,160,023 times
Nope, never. And I never would. Having someone hold my hand or foot and fuss over it would freak me out.

Besides the super fancy styles some women get on their nails - swirls and pictures and gemstones or whatever - I never really understand what the point is.

Barring inability to reach your feet, etc. How hard is it to keep them clean and neat or slap on a bit of polish if you want? Of course, I probably just don't understand. To each her own!

Old 02-21-2017, 07:12 AM

1,692 posts, read 842,917 times
Never had one. I've gone with others to get their nails done and I just sit in the waiting area uninterested. They kind of gross me out, they smell and I don't like idea of sitting there while someone messes with my nails. I like my fingernails kept short, neat and clean with no polish. My toenails are usually painted in the summer. On top of that I have a terrible nail biting habit.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:12 AM

34,549 posts, read 42,724,437 times
I get regular pedis, and so does my husband. We live in a warm climate where toes are on display most of the year. DH was squeamish at first, but now he looks forward to it. Its more about the massage chair, and the foot and leg massages than the actual toenails. They do look much better than a DIY job though.

Manicures are not important to me at all. I like my nails short and natural.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:37 AM

984 posts, read 397,444 times
If the question is professional mani/pedi, I'm pretty sure my sister (who always paints her own nails) and probably some other women in my family have never had them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Barring inability to reach your feet, etc. How hard is it to keep them clean and neat or slap on a bit of polish if you want? Of course, I probably just don't understand. To each her own!
The professionals do a far superior job of polishing my toenails than I do. I find it difficult to "stay in the lines" perfectly and usually end up with at least some polish outside the nail, and it never looks as smooth and shiny as when they do it, even though I use a base coat and top coat finisher. Also I sometimes find that my foot will cramp up if I have it shifted a certain way. I'm not particularly talented at "working with your hands" type skills, which doesn't help. So on the rare DIY occasions, I stick with a neutral or pink polish where it's harder to tell how amateur the effort was.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:42 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,391,095 times
Every 2 weeks for the past 20 years.

Oh what a mess they were when I tried to do it myself.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:48 AM

9,109 posts, read 3,927,959 times
The worst part for me of doing my own pedicure is the polishing. However when I go "outside the lines" I use a Q-tip dipped in a little nail polish remover.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:08 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 5 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,494,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Every 2 weeks for the past 20 years.

Oh what a mess they were when I tried to do it myself.

With practice you do get better

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The worst part for me of doing my own pedicure is the polishing. However when I go "outside the lines" I use a Q-tip dipped in a little nail polish remover.
I do that also when I goof.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:22 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,332,992 times
I've never had a mani or pedi. I've been lucky with my fingernails. I just trim and file as necessary. I've even had compliments on them. Now my toes are a whole 'nother story. No sandals for me.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:49 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,644,308 times
I've never had a manicure and don't want one. I cut my nails short because I like to garden without gloves, unless I'm handling blackberry canes (ugh!) and hate dirt under my nails. I had one pedicure and only liked the foot bath/massage part. Having the technician file my toenails was excruciating to the max! I just cut them weekly as well now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty