U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:57 AM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,121,261 times

Advertisements

I told my granddaughter who graduates from college this year that I had only had my nails polished in a beauty parlor on special a few years back and had never had what she gets about once a month. Christmas comes and my present was a gift certificate. I got my first luxury last Friday. I am not sure I will make a habit of it but it is great to have my nails painted that doesn't look like a first grader did it and have it last a while. All week end and no chips.

I will probably get this done for special occasions and before going to the beach in the future. I am sure my daughter paid for this and probably purchased it but aren't grandchildren great. She says she is coming to live with us to go to college for her post graduate so I need to be saving my money. I am sure I have many more things to experience with her. We thought for a while she was going to be our only grandchild and if that had happened, she was certainly up to the challenge. Our son and his wife finally had 4 of their own too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 09:02 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
I did not have either until I was in my 40's. I do not get them often but a couple times a year is a nice splurge for me.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:27 AM

21,464 posts, read 22,692,102 times
I've had a handful (NPI) of manicures because I rarely paint my nails. Pedicures I might get once a year, usually with one of my sisters who thinks of it as a girls' day thing. While I don't mind the results, I don't like the idea of a stranger touching my feet.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:43 AM

1,333 posts, read 635,092 times
Neither one, ever. My feet are way too ticklish to have a pedicure, and I am really good at painting my own nails, which I do at least once a week. Base coat, 2 or 3 thin coats of polish, Seche Vite topcoat.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:50 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Now that we have the no-pierced ears issue settled, I am emboldened to press on and see if anyone has totally foregone manicures and pedicures? Not excluding you men, but y'know.....

As usual, I'm the weirdo that has never had either. Just.....doesn't interest me.

Girls, are you out there?
I've had a few, mostly when they were part of planned activities when I was involved in people's wedding parties (my sister-in-law did a spa day for bridesmaids where getting nails done was an option, for instance). I had both done as a treat from my MIL before my own wedding.

Left to my own devices, I've never scheduled any. It's just not something that pops up in my head as a service that's really worth paying for. Don't get me wrong, I like having groomed hands and feet, like polished nails, etc. I just tend to do it on my own, do a nice job, and find it a relaxing ritual. I usually have painted nails, both hands and feet, but I'm not into the specialized salon services like gel manicures and nail art and all that...most of it is not my preferred look. I'm not necessarily one to purchase services I enjoy doing myself. The ones I've had have been okay, but not in a "This is so relaxing and I must treat myself in this way in the future!!"

Therapeutic massages? Hell, yeah, bring it on, I get them monthly. Manicure/pedicure services, nah.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:44 AM

13,344 posts, read 7,115,490 times
Nope to both. But I rarely even give myself a manicure. I give myself a pedicure every month - they last a lot longer before they start chipping!

Old 02-21-2017, 11:32 AM

2,604 posts, read 1,111,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As one ages one flexibility can decrease to the point where you cant easily reach your feet anymore so a pedicure or cutting of the nails becomes a necessity.I have the procedure done twice a year.

Yeah, I wonder about the 80-somethings who probably can't reach their toes. Do they send pedicure teams to nursing homes to trim toenails? With age toenails can get yellow, thick, crumbly, curly, ingrown and just....yuck! Not to mention the dreaded fungus!

My issue wasn't so much reaching them, as not being able to see them that well. Too far away for reading glasses and I don't wear other glasses. It's the only time I've run into that situation with sight.

So I just ripped 'em all off!

Old 02-21-2017, 11:51 AM

983 posts, read 396,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've had a few, mostly when they were part of planned activities when I was involved in people's wedding parties (my sister-in-law did a spa day for bridesmaids where getting nails done was an option, for instance). I had both done as a treat from my MIL before my own wedding.

Left to my own devices, I've never scheduled any. It's just not something that pops up in my head as a service that's really worth paying for. Don't get me wrong, I like having groomed hands and feet, like polished nails, etc. I just tend to do it on my own, do a nice job, and find it a relaxing ritual. I usually have painted nails, both hands and feet, but I'm not into the specialized salon services like gel manicures and nail art and all that...most of it is not my preferred look. I'm not necessarily one to purchase services I enjoy doing myself. The ones I've had have been okay, but not in a "This is so relaxing and I must treat myself in this way in the future!!"

Therapeutic massages? Hell, yeah, bring it on, I get them monthly. Manicure/pedicure services, nah.
This sounds like me... I get several mani/pedis a year, but it's always for a specific occasion or event. And yes, monthly massage.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:53 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,044,600 times
I've never had a pedicure. My feet are far too ticklish....I would kick someone in the face. That would be bad!

I have had a couple of manicures. I had acrylic nails for a very brief time. I ended up taken by ambulance to the ER after I passed out at a nail salon. The fumes and I didn't agree. Haven't had my nails done by anyone since.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:44 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,819,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yeah, I wonder about the 80-somethings who probably can't reach their toes. Do they send pedicure teams to nursing homes to trim toenails? With age toenails can get yellow, thick, crumbly, curly, ingrown and just....yuck! Not to mention the dreaded fungus!

:
They do! Hair, nails, and shaving of facial hair! I discovered this when my grandmother went in. She, of course, took care of facial hair most of her life. When she went into assisted living, my mom and aunt eventually started plucking the really noticeable ones, and finally, the nursing home provided the monthly shaving, at the same time as hair and nails.

I have had each done once: manicure for a prom, manicure as part of an overall spa package. I would rather spend my money on other things. I don't paint my nails myself, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty