U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 03:17 PM

4,705 posts, read 2,910,654 times

Advertisements

I've never had a manicure or pedicure. I think it's a fad that has gotten totally out of hand, and people like sheep have fallen into the fad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 04:08 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
There are absolutely technicians who do nail care for seniors. When my MIL worked for a senior living center, they had a woman who did appointments several times a week. She had medical training and did medical/podiatric pedicures for seniors with circulation issues, diabetes, etc. It's a nice service.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:09 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I've never had a manicure or pedicure. I think it's a fad that has gotten totally out of hand, and people like sheep have fallen into the fad.
It's not really any different than many other salon services.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:30 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,702,479 times
Never had either...like some others here my feet are way too ticklish. I do my own and also use lotion
to keep my feet soft.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:00 PM

1,664 posts, read 769,992 times
I've had one and got toenail fungus from it. I ended up having to have my toenail removed and let it grow back in again. I'm not going through that again.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:03 PM

34,531 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Bottom line to all, as far as I'm concerned, we women need to pamper ourselves. It is not as if anyone else cares about our nails.
It does make a difference where you live. In Ohio it cost me $50 for a pedi, so now that we're retired I would not spend that much money. Here in GA, it is $28. Incl tip, so i am ok with that.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:10 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,178,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Now that we have the no-pierced ears issue settled, I am emboldened to press on and see if anyone has totally foregone manicures and pedicures? Not excluding you men, but y'know.....

As usual, I'm the weirdo that has never had either. Just.....doesn't interest me.

Girls, are you out there?
Again, you are not alone. No pierced ears, and I have never had a manicure/pedicure (done by anyone by myself that is). I hate to admit that until I moved to TX where it seems that every second shop in the strip malls was dedicated to nails, I didn't really even think it was a 'thing'. Guess I have never been 'that girlie' after all, despite being female and liking to be one.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:14 PM

34,531 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
They do! Hair, nails, and shaving of facial hair! I discovered this when my grandmother went in. She, of course, took care of facial hair most of her life. When she went into assisted living, my mom and aunt eventually started plucking the really noticeable ones, and finally, the nursing home provided the monthly shaving, at the same time as hair and nails.

I have had each done once: manicure for a prom, manicure as part of an overall spa package. I would rather spend my money on other things. I don't paint my nails myself, either.
Well, i hate to even say this, but I 'm 68 and I have many of these issues. I shave my chin every other day, and admit that it is a struggle to reach my toes. If you saw me, you would not know that these things were an issue, so I assume many women my age have these issues too. I confess, my biggest worry about growing my old is chin hair.

Sometimes when i go to the nail salon, there are really old people, with really knarly nails being attended to. Bless their hearts, the proprietors are a Vietnamese family business and they do a very good job for young and old.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:11 PM

5,499 posts, read 3,352,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
There are absolutely technicians who do nail care for seniors. When my MIL worked for a senior living center, they had a woman who did appointments several times a week.
My dad, who is going on 93 and nearly blind, has a regular appointment to care for his nails. That's very different from women "pampering" themselves with pedicures. Pedicures are fine if they're your thing, but they are by no means appealing to all.

On the other hand, helping seniors with the difficult aspects of personal hygiene is a necessity.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:38 PM

8,652 posts, read 4,783,711 times
I never have. I won a gift card for a free mani-pedi, and still didn't go. Why? I had no idea what the procedure is and felt like a complete dork asking. Like, do they remove the old polish, or do I need to show up with it removed and my nails trimmed? Are we supposed to talk during the ordeal? Do I tip them? How do I know which services to ask for? Am I expected to leave right away, or do I hang around until my nails are dry? I see this as an international incident in the making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty